My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

It wasn't me!

Yay! It wasn't me! Let me explain...

A while back, everybody in the English department got an email from the boss that said: I've had complaints about cursing in the classrooms, particularly the use of the F word. It's got to stop. Act like professionals. Although every single person in the department got the email, all I could think was: shoot, I'm the ONLY person who curses in the classroom. But I knew I hadn't said "Fuck" in the classroom. Well, ok, not recently. I can recall one incident when I said it last spring, and one time last fall when I told one class a really funny joke towards the end of the term (when everybody was used to me and didn't care, you know?) that had the word fuck in it, but typically I don't say "fuck" in the classroom. Hell, crap, and damn are staples. I use the word ass or jackass. I try to avoid asshole or shit, although if pressed I know I've used them. But the F word? Surely that couldn't be ME! But who the hell else would curse? Chuck's awful like me, but he has better control over his mouth than I have. Pat WILL curse, but she'd NEVER curse in the classroom. Julia? hah! Mark? haha! Joanne? You must be kidding me! So I fretted about my impending firing over my potty mouth, wondering why some student told Robin falsely that I said fuck in the classroom...

But then today I was chatting with one class and I mentioned how I was the only person in the English department who cursed. They all vigorously said NO!!!! You're one of many! I was surprised. I told them about the warning email the department got and how I wondered why we ALL got it when I thought it was directed at me. Then one of the girls said, oh, the F word, that'd be Art Sheck. Art is one of the new guys. If you ever meet him and talk to him, you'd think he was just as likely to cuss as...well, Mark or Joanne. I was surprised. Another of his students or two reinforced the same thing: Art loves to cuss and he uses the F word. I started to dance in front of the classroom and sang, It's not me, it's not me! Well, at least it's not JUST me! And they all laughed! Weeeee!

Today I also found out that Tucker--the Tucker mentioned in the Nov 2004 blog entry related to how men sucker me into feeding them--has been directed to my blog site. It was pretty funny--I was scanning my head immediately after he announced that he had the link to my blog, trying to recall if there were anything on here a student shouldn't read. Then I realized that I pretty much tell my students everything anyway, so what the hell? Hi Tucker, if you have come back to read more! *waves*

On another note, I'm glad nobody noticed that I smelled like kid's melon bubble bath today. I wanted to take a bubble bath, you see, but I had no "adult" products. Therefore I had to resort to snatching my children's bubble bath. It's "Yummo Melon Flavor!" or somesuch, so I suppose I smell like I'd be delicious with a few strawberries and banana slices in a fruit bowl. I need to get some better smelling bubble bath and a few other pampering bath products. Maybe I should get a bath pillow or something fun like that....oohhh or a back scrubber. No wait, I don't need a back scrubber...I got Alex! He might come up this weekend. If he does, he'll be here Friday through Sunday. Then the weekend afterwards, we get to go to Charleston! Now I just have to remember where Amanda said had the best she-crab soup...I think it was Queens something or other...hmmm... My brother Ken was super nice and used two frequent points nights from his hotel points for us, so the hotel will be FREE. Gotta love that word: free. We'll be staying at the Marriott Residence Inn. They have little kitchenettes so Alex can actually have his hot tea with milk and sugar! Haha! He's so cute about that tea. He may be French by his father and French by culture, but he's got that Brit blood in him from his mum, so that's where he gets the tea addiction!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ART???? no way!!!! he was an adjunct back when i was there. never would have imagined he'd use the big bad F word... oh well. learn something new everday.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Angie, I didn't know that Art was an adjunct there before! He's...well, older than me but not "old", with facial hair. He has a lot of publications and editing under his belt related to fly fishing. Seems like a nice guy; however, I just NEVER would have seen him as a cusser. He's never cursed around ME.

Ok, Amanda, I found their website (82 Queens). YUMMY! They made me excited with the "free she crab soup coupon" on the front page, but it appears to have expired on 12/31/04. RATS! So now I just decide: lunch to save money, or dinner to go all out?

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home