My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Another Weekend Away

I drove down to Columbia this weekend to be with Alex. I didn't have the kids because Ariana (for god knows what reason) wasn't in school on Friday or Monday of this weekend time, and rather than take her to work with me, Rob took the kids. Since I didn't have them for the weekend, I figured what the hell?

On Saturday night, I went to my first USC basketball game ever. Yes, yes, I know: how on earth was it my first game when college basketball is the only sport I like? Well, it just wasn't a burning ambition of the ex to go to a game when I was there, so we never went. We were there for three years, and two of those years I could have got a student ticket...three years Rob could have...but we never bothered. Oh well! I really enjoyed it.

Six of us crammed into François' car (which seats five) so that we could go to the game. That would be five French folks and ME crammed into said car. I sat on Alex's lap. We're both midgets, so both of us together take up the space of one normal person...haha! Unfortunately, I once again became aware of how horridly ignorant I am. Since the languages in the car weren't Latin, Old English, or English, I was lost. Poor Alex tried so hard to make me feel included by translating for me, but I was accutely aware of how out of place I was. They must have thought I was rude for being so quiet, but I honestly COULD NOT participate in the conversation! Except for the occasional curse word, I recognize nothing in French. Sigh.

François turns out to be a nut. I admit fully that he cracked me up. He was crazy as shit. He drove like a maniac and was very outgoing and funny. Apparently, he was intoxicated the other night and almost picked up an American girl. They kissed and stuff, but since he was drunk, his exact recollection of her was limited. For a while he was pointing out random women as he drove by and shouted out to us things like, "Cela pourrait être elle!" (that could be her!)...LOL When we got out of the game, there was an attractive woman handing out pamphlets for some bar and encouraging everybody to go. François grabbed one and asked her, "Does this have your number on it?" The man wasn't even drunk...that's just his regular personality! Quite funny.

After the game, the crew wanted to go out to eat. All I could think was, no wait, Alex and I only went at it three times today and I need a fourth before bed or I won't sleep well...but I decided to be polite! If I could have figured out a way to say it in French, I think I would have said it because that gang didn't seem to mind boisterous behavior. Anyway, let's just leave it at: Alex and I had a nice time when we returned even though we were alone.

The USC game was vs. Auburn. Auburn supposedly sucks more than USC, but yay for us, we lost to Auburn anyway. The Auburn players just seemed to care more even though it was our home court. USC cut it to 2 with a minute to spare, but that was as close as it got. I was happy to explain the rules of basketball to Alex. I may not know the difference between all the fouls, but I DO know a lot more than just the basics. Made me feel good to explain SPORTS to a MAN...haha! Next time I want to take him to a Duke game so he can watch my favorite team play. Even when Duke has a bad team, Coach K makes them look like pros. A former student of mine has told me he might be able to get me tickets to a Duke vs Clemson game sometime. I sure hope he can because I think Alex'd find it interesting!

No, no plans for Vday tomorrow, folks, except to spend it with my kids. I always get them little baskets of vday candy and a small toy because...well, there's nobody I love better than my kids, so of course a day to celebrate love is spent with them! I am getting them right after school. I already have their little baskets and toy set up on the table. They'll be so excited! I can't wait. I told Alex to hold off on things until next weekend since I had to leave Columbia today and we won't be together tomorrow. No biggie. Things will be less crowded and cheaper by waiting a few days afterwards anyway :D I'm just now coming down with a cold, so even if he were here, I'm not sure we'd be going anywhere tomorrow night. I feel crappy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We watched this thing on ESPN this weekend about that poor guy from Duke (forgot his name) who keeps getting harrassed by everyone. (I think he's they're best player... can't remember the name...) There was all this stuff about people getting his cell # and calling him incessantly. And one group at Maryland even mad a sign that they had sex with his 12-yr-old sister. I was sooooooooo mad at Maryland when I saw that!!!!

Hope you and the kids have a great v-day!!! =o)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Ok, Angie, you get to teach us both French per Amanda's suggestion. We'll take you to Paris after you successfully get us to conversational level...sound good?

And it's Redick who gets so much hatred. Only thing I can figure: he's a priviledged white guy who plays basketball like an NBA star. I have no idea why else to hate him. Really, he comes across as a super nice guy. And it's mostly the MD fans who are the worst about it! I don't know why!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home