My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Friday, May 06, 2005

More Reasons Why I Love Alex

Yeah, I know, you guys are sick of hearing about how great Alex is. Sorry! haha! Last night he took me, Jared, and his siblings out for Indian food. It was EXCELLENT Indian food--some of the best I've ever had, actually. I'd eat there again any day of the week. There was a man selling roses there, wandering about the table, and Alex waved him off when he came near us. Apparently, he hates the idea of me watching him pay for the rose or expect it because not too long after that, he excused himself from the table. I thought he was getting the waitress to fetch more water for us, but he went to get the rose! His siblings were NOT surprised, as apparently this action was typical Alex to them.

Alex is, apparently, what his best friend's mom described as "old school French." She told me that the old ways were dying out, but that Alex and his best friend Julien were two of the finest examples of the old ways...flowers, chocolates, opening of doors, dedication, romance, etc. Hmmm I really just have to wait to see if Julien will break up with his girlfriend or vice versa...he's damn tall, very good looking, and is a total sweetheart like Alex....perfect for Amanda....hmmm....

Anyway, Alex apparently liked how pleased I was to receive the rose, so this morning when he went out to get us all kebabs for lunch, he fetched me another one. He also decided I needed a special dessert, so he purchased a millefeuille at a pastissere. Here, lookie: http://www.uark.edu/depts/flaninfo/clelia/millefeuille.jpg

He also knows women need chocolate, so he just bought about 35 euros worth of chocolate cakes, chocolate tarts, and little chocolate pasteries for me on the way back for the grocery. Egads! Help! Somebody send me bigger clothes! I'm running out of room! LOL I asked him why he did it, and he just grinned at me and said, "The look on your face was perfect! That's why!" I can't believe how wonderful this man is. You're looking at a man who turned down having female roommates at USC without even asking me if I minded because he just thought it would make me feel uncomfortable! He wasn't trying to get brownie points for it or he'd have told me way before I accidentally found out. In fact, when I found out, I told him, shoot baby, have a female roommate. I trust you totally. I don't think I've ever been able to say that in any relationship I have ever had. Wow. But I can, and I mean it.

Today Alex took us to a natural science museum here in Clermont-Ferrand. Jared really enjoyed looking at the displays of animals and plants and rocks that were native for the area...well, and so did we! It was an interesting little place. I wish I could read French like Angie can, but at least Alex translated for me. Interestingly, I found that sometimes I could get the general idea of the paragraphs because of latin root words. OH GOD...please don't tell me mom was right and that learning latin was the key to learning all romance languages...

Afterwards, we went to a little cafe to have sodas and enjoy the gorgeous, sunny day and the fresh air. I've always liked people watching, so I find the whole idea of sitting outside at a table and drinking to be fantastic fun. Ok, ok, ok, so I'm easily amused....haha!

I could live here. I really could. Not forever, but for a few years, I could pack up my kids and stay. I keep panicking that I won't do all I want to do before I leave, but I guess I'll just have to return again (and next time, with Ariana! Oh, and Angie and Amanda too! Angie can give us all French lessons beforehand, right? haha!). Sure, there are some things here I have problems adjusting to, but I'm adaptable. And I'm just facinated by so much...it takes so little for me to NOT be bored. Good thing since it appears that I still don't have a summer class schedule...sigh. Mmmm tuna and ramen noodles....mmmmm

3 Comments:

Blogger Jezzy said...

Oh you lucky, lucky girl!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll refrain from commenting on a blog post about me lol.
We visited Vulcania yesterday :)
The link to their website explains it better than I do:
http://www.vulcania.com/2005/anglais/
It's basically an enormous center on volcanoes + earthquakes. We toured the whole place with Jared and had tons of fun.
Clermont-Ferrand may not be Paris as far as culture goes, but it is extremely beautiful. I just love the mountains, hills, trees, waterfalls...(city boy raised in Paris speaking lol).

1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, thanks for the link, Alex!!!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home