My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

I'm Back!

I went to my sister's house in Texas for my spring break. I had a great time with my three nieces, my sis, and her husband. But that's why I had been missing for a bit in the blogworld. Unfortunately, we only had one free plane ticket, so I had to leave Alex and the kids behind. It's great to be back with the family! I got in pretty late last night, and then of course we had all the Easter rituals to do, so I'm functioning on low sleep. If the kids pass out in a sugar coma, I can take a nap maybe, right? Haha!

It's funny because my sister and I are so very, very different...yet we love each other endlessly. She is a fashion plate whenever she walks out the door: flawless makeup, perfectly matched clothes, delicate ballerina body (she's a ballet instructor and never weighs over 88 lbs at 5'--she's usually at 84 lbs but this week I made her gain 3 lbs just 'cause when I show up, there's wine, chocolate, cheese, and other good food aplenty! haha!). I take two seconds to get ready to go out. That's usually all it takes for me to find something clean and slide on shoes. It was weird, though, for me to be a part of the mall shopping, clothes, and appearances set at times. My daughter is like me--is it clean? Good. We're ready. Let's go. But then again, that's what she learned to be from me. My sister's three girls have learned to care about looking gorgeous from my sister herself. It really made me wonder how Ariana'd be if she had been raised in Rose's household. I think for sure she'd be doing ballet like two of Rose's three girls. I think Ari would have loved that.

My youngest niece, Giselle, kept laughing at all my jokes and saying I was too entertaining to leave. That made me chuckle. She turns 12 at the end of the week. Chiara is 15 and is exactly what I expect out of a teen girl for behavior, so this was a shock for me to see the path that lies ahead. Hmm. But I guess Ariana could end up more like Allegra, my 17 yr old niece (otherwise known as my mini-me). Allegra is reasonable and uses logic. She has learned to appreciate looking nice when she walks out the door, but she doesn't spend much time on it nor does she have the enormous wardrobe that Chiara has (she saves her money instead). She mostly has male friends, and thereby she has evaded a lot of the girl trauma of high school. I asked my brother in law for permission to take her home to be my daughter, and he said no. Wah.

Still, I have been clinging to my daughter a LOT today. It's on the horizon. Teen girl drama...teen girl social life (IE, never home)...teen girl tears. I have today, but tomorrow she grows up. I can't make time stand still. I wouldn't want to, but honestly I wish this more fun and innocent time could continue just a wee bit longer. Isn't she mine??? Aren't I allowed to keep her forever??? haha!

Humorously, though, my daughter who really doesn't care about clothes just got an ENORMOUS haul of fashion plate clothing from my sister's girls. Whether or not she wants to be, she'll be well dressed when she walks out the door. Hey, it means I have to do laundry less frequently! Woohoo!

It was great to see my sis and her family, but it's great to be back too. Happy Easter, everybody!

12 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Welcome back. :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Kira, it's all about priorities: alcohol, food, clothes. You've mastered two of three!!

Male friends are the best. There are very few women who are worth befriending. Luckily, you're one of the few!

(I'm still in a mushy mood!)

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ari will still be Ari underneath all the hormones, so don't fear it too much. It's tough - yes. But wow - when she hits the 18 year mark (as Anna will do on the 29th of this month), it's so freaking amazing. One day you have this cute little toddler following you around and wanting to wear your shoes and put on your lipstick (only put it on all over her face or something like that). And the next thing you know, here's this almost adult, who makes you so proud you can hardly stand it.

Parenting has its ups and downs, but mostly - it rocks. =o)

Glad you had fun in TX! I really liked it; in fact, I'd take a job in Austin if I could talk Brian into it... especially if I could live at the Embassy Suites where we stayed, lol. (I'm sure living in Austin is exactly like how that was.)

Hope you got a Godiva bunny for Easter!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Laurita said...

Oh man...the teen girl thing. My sister is in the thick of it with her eldest and it aint pretty!

I'm dreading those years. I've got one who will be bullied, no question about it. The other has been honing her diva skills since birth. I'm hoping the diva will step up and protect her big sis.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

You'll always have me, and I won't grow up or have any teen trauma unless I get a high school aged girlfriend.

6:22 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I'm guessing teenage will be a fun time for both you and Ari. There will be a few challenges, especially if she takes a fancy to those fashion-plate clothes you got from your sister.

BTW, I take it you're taller than your sister, right?

7:57 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

Wine, chocolate, cheese and good food are SO worth a measly three pounds. There's plenty of time for self-sacrifice later.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

TREASURE this time with Ari... Actually, I agree with Jadedprimadonna -- the kid beneath the hormones is basically unchanged. The problem I'm having with my teenager started when she was in third grade. (Problem being that she just doesn't really care to do any school work.) Other than that, she's a pretty good kid.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Adrianne said...

Oh to see my sister would be awesome!! You are so lucky. I am glad you had a great time!!!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Feisty Frida said...

Teen Girl Thing?? Are you saying my 4 month old daughter will one day be a teen, and I'll have to deal with the Teen Girl Thing?? That scares the crap out of me.

Frida

11:50 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Joe--and here I expect you to be more on the food blog than here ;)

Amanda--do I really count as a girlfriend? I mean, I know I have two X chromosomes, but hey, Grant calls me "Boobie Man." Just sayin' ;)

Angie--actually, I got Alex and the kids Godiva bunnies for Easter...haha! Poor family. I get Godiva all year round, but they just get it Christmas and Easter.

Laura--I think sisters protect each other. There's nine years between me and my sis, and she has definitely delivered some smackdown on folks who have needed it...and I've snapped a few heads for her too. It's the nature of it all. But you have two sisters, so you know that already! L will definitely protect S :)

Grant--you know, that's strangely reassuring. Thanks!

X.dell--well, by two inches I am. My sis is 5' and I'm 5'2". As of right now, I'm the tallest member of my family, but I'm tied with my niece Chiara and my grandma who are also the same height. Well, my grandma WAS my same height--she's shorter now. It happens!

NWJR--indeed! That's why Rose lets me fatten her up every time I come down :)

Jennifer--My daughter does her schoolwork...BUT ONLY for a teacher she likes. Argh! It's hard to complain because I work the same way, though. What do I do? "Do as I say! Not as I ever did!"

SSC--yes, I was so lucky indeed. It had been almost three years, and I just missed the hell out of her. I wished we lived closer, but I'm sure you know the drill: no matter what they do or where they live, you're still connected to them and love them. Period.

FF--Yes. That's the bad news. So far, what I've observed is that boys are harder as toddlers than girls. However, then girls work their way up to being teens, and boys suddenly become much easier. Argh! haha!

7:34 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Keep lovin' livin and hugs to all of you!

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home