My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Bullet List

Here we go!

1) Total Wine and More wants to hire me. I'm not joking. I went to a wine tasting more than a week ago, and one of the wine managers approached me. He said that since I knew basic French plus knew more about French wines than most people could ever know, they wanted to hire me to obtain back the business from Michelin they once had. WOW. We chatted for a while, and I realized...this is awesome. The wine geeks consider me an equal, even though I only know about French wines like a pro and NOT the rest of the world!!! WOOHOO! He offered me a part time job, but I seriously do not have the time for it right now. Maybe next spring. I dunno. A 30% discount is too tempting...

2) My kitten, Firepaw Mercutio, is in the hall of fame for cuteness. I leave for work, he hides under the bed; I return from work, he comes out and stays between my legs when I walk or lies next to me while I read and/or type. I haven't had my own cat in years. Ariana, when she was born almost ten years ago, stole Chian from me (my 15 yr old). I have no other pets save for a fish. There's something amazing about being worshipped. It makes me feel good.

3) Speaking of being worshipped...I came home from yet another day of a crappy day of work this week, and what happened? Alex used the $20 I gave him to spend ON HIMSELF for something HE WANTED (look, money is tight and we both have very little personal money to spend right now) and bought me a hand-picked box of Godiva chocolates. The box had all my favorite flavors in it...I mean all! Geesh. How does he keep track of this? And I don't understand him at this point. After having a student cry in my office for two hours over her jackass hubby--a man she once claimed to me was her prize for having suffered through her first husband--I realize totally what a freak my hubby is. And I'm ok with that. Alex is not what women expect out of men, and I get to keep him. I get constant backrubs, bubble baths, help with kids, housework, nightly massages, and a smiling face no matter what. No, it doesn't go away. Yes, I'm the luckiest girl in the universe.

4) Ariana is now on book number five of Harry Potter, and I'm flabbergasted at how fast the non-reader has absorbed these books. I guess I'll have to think of her as a reader from now on out.

5) Jared likes to hurl himself at me whenever he sees Alex kiss me. And stand in between us, too. Somebody loves momma!

6) I realize that as time goes on, I'm a better person because the man I'm with MAKES me a better person. Thank you, Alex my love.

7) Did I tell y'all that Alex has to go to FREAKING LONDON for his interview for his green card? Yup. Immigration made a series of mistakes, and that's where we're at. However, we're lucky enough that once he goes to London (thank you mom and dad for buying us his ticket!), he should have his green card after the interview. Then he can work. And then we won't be conserving every penny to the point of pain.

8) Yes, we're visiting Grant again next weekend. Look, he spoils me rotten when we go and I feel refreshed when we return. As long as he wants us there, I'm going to give him my next available weekend. Period. The man is terrific, and those of you who did not pick that up...well, I feel sorry for you :)

9) I have too much to grade and/or review by Monday.

10) ...but then Monday onwards for another week or so, I have it easy. Yay!

11) French is still going well, but I can't figure out why the interrogatives are so rough for me to hear and understand

12) I have awesome family, awesome friends, awesome pets, and I can pay my bills. My life is amazing. Thanks, you guys!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing Jared is doing it very common for that age, from what I've seen. Matthew did it. And my little nephew was doing it this weekend. Wait til he gets a little older, around the same age as someone you've taught, and you see one of those people and brag on one of their accomplishments. It makes Matthew sooooooo jealous. He'll start telling me about all the things he's done immediately after we encounter one of my grant kids, etc. It's funny.

I think Firepaw Mercutio was meant to be with you. I'm glad he's made such a sweet addition to your already happy family.

I've had plenty of those crying sessions with students. It's hard to carry worries about them too, but I guess it's just part of the job.

I totally think you should do the part time at Total Wine in the spring... 30% off... woohooo!!!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Laurita said...

Conserving money to the point of pain is no good. I know.

London, however, is very, very good. He'll have to look up Cookie.

Get the wine job. You can do it a couple of nights a week. How fun.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

"I have awesome family, awesome friends, awesome pets, and I can pay my bills."

Yep. That's all you need.

6:28 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

You might enjoy wine-tasting as a part-time occupation. It might be an excellent way to network with people.

Now I know that you like particular Godiva chocolates. Now I have to figure out which ones.

Hope you enjoy your trip to London. They say it's changed since I was there last (1984). I plan to go back and see, one of these days.

Most important, I hope the green card interview goes off without a hitch.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I'm in with Amanda, 12 is the whole list!

Bless you both and your pile of joy! You give me hope.

8:09 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I am so happy that you're happy. Way to be!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping in Kira! I'm going to start trying to write more and keep up on other people's blogs again! I missed reading yours so much because you always made me see so many positive things about life. I'm glad your life is going so well :)

5:02 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Angie--I think it must just be a man thing. Ariana doesn't care what she's doing compared to others as long as she knows I think she's awesome (and, of course, she is!). But Jared is DEFINITELY more concerned about his ranking in my life.

I'm ok with the crying episodes, although usually in the middle of things I feel an anxiety about handling it all "right." I guess it makes me feel useful...if that makes sense...

Laurita--yeah, I already informed Cookie of the impending visit. Now I just have to give him dates and convince him to NOT force jellied eels down Alex's throat! We're really in pain as far as money goes since late August, but I know it will all get instantly better the second Alex can get the green card and hence a job...it's just that the green card has been a nightmare of unbelievable proportions.

And yes, I'm thinking about the wine job. It might be a place wherein I can practice my French, too, which would help so much.

Amanda--true enough! Although I'd really prefer the awesome spouse part to be located in AMERICA instead of EUROPE for the duration of the marriage, but then again I'm picky like that.

X.dell--that's easy to figure out! I love dark chocolate truffles of all sorts that do not involve coconut. Key lime, rasberry dark chocolate, double dark chocolate, expresso, etc are all favorites.

Val--yes, we're still being happy in your honor. It's amazing how well things feel like they're going if I just remember that we DO have each other, even if he has to head off to Europe for a month or two before the green card issue is settled.

Hoss--yup, we're happy! Although I'll take happy and in Hawaii like you were a few weeks ago :)

MR--We're all so glad you're alive and back! When folks disappear for almost a year, other bloggers just wonder and worry, even if we've never met that person in real life. I'm relieved you've checked in and given us all a list of your life changes.

7:07 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Sounds like all is well in your world. I suppose you heard the latest dirt on Harry Potter, right? Hoss is right, you sound very HAPPY.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home