My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Slack Ass Blogger Lives!

I would have thought that being out for the summer meant more time to hang out on blogs and write my own, but it's just not working out that way. I'm finding something to do with all my free time. Most of the time what I'm doing is Alex...wait, not that you wanted to know that, but there we go! Haha! Look, I'm just sooo happy that he's in my apartment now--our apartment--hopefully for good now. Every night he's the last sight I see, and every morning he's the first one that greets me to the new day. I can't take that for granted. I love this man like crazy.

Alex DID get the internship, so that's excellent for us. We had to run out and get a second car so that both of us had means of transportation, but I've been steadily saving up for that for years (well, I was saving up for a new car at first, not a second car--but you get the idea). We ended up with a Mazda 3 sedan, with the 2.3 ltr engine (156 hp). WOW! I love this car. I can control my radio from my steering wheel! I know the outside temp! And we can each have two drinks apiece in the car since there are eight (8) cupholders! haha! Ariana insisted that it be the same color as this electric blue she loved on a friend's car, so I tried my hardest to comply. It's a lot of fun to drive the new car. Zoom, zoom! We're now playing the balancing act, though. I have to use the right credit card at the right time to get the bills to arrive by the time that Alex starts getting paid. I don't ever let stuff slide on the credit card, so it's important for me to plan it out so we can pay off whatever we've charged. I have a plan, and it should work. The main problem is that since Alex is on a student visa and can only do the internship due to it being USC's requirement, he must get paid through USC. That means that Michelin pays USC; USC then TAKES 10% (bastards!); then USC gives us the money. So, he gets paid all of twice for the whole summer. Good thing I can budget. It's all working out! I can't even begin to detail to you guys the hell we've been through over the last two or three weeks getting everything straight, though. It would take too long. My sister made the observation that God appears to want to make us work for whatever it is we get, but that it all works out in the end. She seems to have a valid point. We struggle and get roadbumps here and there, but in the end it all works out great.

We have started getting off our lazy, fat asses and are now walking together nearly every night. There's a path nearby that has a swingset and open field in the middle, so we can take the kids there to play while we walk. I have more energy now that I'm walking. I'm eating just as much as before, so there will be no sudden weight loss here. In fact, that's not the goal. Screw the world who might think I'm not the model thin poster child; I'm just aiming for "feeling better," and I've succeeded!

Memorial day weekend will be Grantapalooza. Alex and I will head down to Atlanta while the ex has the kids, and we shall gorge ourselves silly and drink way too much. We will watch lots of movies too because that's normal entertainment for all of us. Grant wants us to meet his Japanese instructor and her husband, so we're all having dinner Saturday night. I swear we'll have the most international table in the restaurant: a Japanese woman, a German (her husband), a Frenchman born in England (Alex), a redneck (Grant), and a half yankee Floridian (me).

Next week, Alex will be sent to Canada--Montreal--for his job. He's having a bit of a struggle comprehending the Quebecan accent. It's quite different from straight French. He'll get the hang of it after experience, though. He seems to really like his job environment and seems enthusiastic about all the tasks assigned to him. I'll miss him when he's gone, and we shall pass like ships in the night...because he gets back on a Friday, and then on Saturday I take off to do AP English lit readings in Louisville. Whew! I'll be gone for a week, and my folks are driving up from Tampa to take care of the kids while Alex is at work and I'm in Louisville. Thank goodness for family!

On the whole, life is fantastic right now. We have money coming in--granted, in a strange and unpredictable fashion, but still!--a new car too, each other, and everybody is healthy. I have time to dedicate to getting Ariana's room organized, finishing up the "integrating Alex's stuff into the apartment" task, helping out friends with their work, playing with kids (we had our first full-family Monopoly game! Ariana won...first I died, then Alex. Yup, our kids are better than us at Monopoly), and reading. Man, I've missed reading! The library is my best friend right now. We found out that we can get five DVDs at a time and have them for a week too, and the selection is amazing. I'm geeking Alex out with some Star Trek: Next Gen shows, and we'll dive into Sex and the City next (I've never seen them, but everybody says I'd love 'em). This bewilderingly happy feeling? Yeah, I can get used to it. I still get my nightly massages, and when I'm up doing work around the house so is Alex even though he has been gone at work all day himself. Alex has a firm belief that if I'm up and on my feet, he should be too. See why I love him?

Anyway, that's the update! I should give you guys another one next week when we return from Grant's house. We both love visiting him. He's a shining example of how the Internet can yield real life friends. We've made so many "real" friends just by starting out talking on the net that I think we've had better luck with decent people here than in day-to-day life! OH! That reminds me though! I have had a great relationship with my officemate Amy all year long, but she won't be returning to Clemson, and I worried that I'd lose her. See, I'm awful--just awful--about making the first move, or the second or third. I don't call on the phone; I don't reach out first. I will email like crazy, but the other person has to do more work to get me to do stuff, and I feel badly about it...but it's just my temperment. I knew I didn't want to lose Amy, but I had no idea how to keep her without her reaching out first. She did instead! We have so much in common. She's a geek like us, and we had her over last week. We fed her silly and did geeky things all night long. She TOOK NOTES on the wines and cheeses I served! Wow. She takes it as seriously as I do. She had given me a challenge: she hates red wine, but she loves white wine (and all other forms of liquor and beer known to man). So, I hunted up a fine Beaujolais, the red wine that thinks it's a white (low tannins, high fruit), from Brouilly and chilled it appropriately. Victory! Before that, I introduced her to a Tavel (dry rose from the Rhone) that she loved, and after dinner, with the chocolate she brought, I gave her a black muscat--a nice sweet red dessert wine. I felt so rewarded by how excited she was by it all. I hate losing friends, and I'm glad she reached out so that we had an opportunity to drag her in and keep her. I'm an odd woman, and it takes a special person to deal with my quirks. It appears she can do it. Woohoo! Go me!

So, in summary, if you can't tell...I'm in a good mood.

17 Comments:

Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I'm glad the struggle has abated. It's nice to get some relief. May I add that 10% is EXTORTION! WTF!

the Quebecois have a weird accent. It's very staccato, as I recall. I met this guy from Quebec after I'd been in France for a couple of years...I was feeling fairly confident about my French...and then I couldn't understand a single word he said. They turn a phrase differently, too. It's like they speak an ancient French (from the time of Jacques Cartier or something). Good luck to Alex, though. He'll pick it up.

Brian likes Tavel, too. We had some together last Saturday (sigh).

:)

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you point me to a good beaujolais nouveau in November? I love that wine, but I didn't have as much luck buying one on my own. The best I've had was one provided by a French professor who knew his wines better than his advanced tenses.

I am so happy that you got the Mazda 3! I seriously considered one of those, but the deal I got on my other car was too good. (Ironically, a dealership is now calling every day trying to tempt me into brining the car i have in for a 2005 Mustang they've found for me. I keep telling them I can't have a Mustang until I'm Dr. JPD.)

You have me and Anna both excited about the possibility of visiting a better library. She's dying to find obscure Stephen King books. (I'm dying to push her into something more intense for analysis, but I was the same way at her age.) Our little library in Salem is so tiny, we barely have anything. =o( Matthew, meanwhile, says he'll visit another library if we can stop at Sonic on the way, lol!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - have you heard about being rehired next year? I know that they have told Allen S he's safe. And I know they told a few others they aren't. Meanwhile, my officemate Amanda L has not heard yet. I'm hoping you're in like Flynn.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, Quebequois apparently sounds like French use to hundreds of years ago. It sounds like redneck or Texan French to me :o

I am so in love and so happy. Kira is wonderful. Merveilleuse!

I once thought that Kira was my dream girl. After all, guys like me got girls like her either in dreams, or in movies (Adam Sandler in Click for instance).
So I can clearly say that right now, I am living my dream.

Looking forward to the future. Everything is fun, work is great, and I am having a blast.

Perhaps the best thing though, is that every day when I come back from work, the kids run towards me and hug me. "ALEX!!!!!" is how I am greeted and that feels just great.
(I get greeted by ‘kisses’ if Kira sees me first though and I am not complaining there! My French training comes in handy).

Unless my plane crashes, or I die in Montreal traffic (how bad is it?) then I have nothing to complain about. I don't know what I did to deserve paradise, but I have it and it is every bit as great as God promised.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Félicitations, Alex! C'est la premiére fois que tu as visité le Canada? J'y suis allée en 1988, et je pense que c'était assez facile de trouver ce qu'on veut trouver à Montréale, mais, moi, je ne conduisais pas, lol. Si c'est possible, il faut voir Québec. C'est vraiment joli.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oui, c'est bien la première fois que je vais là bas. Je ne vais pas avoir le temps de voir grand chose car c'est un voyage d'affaire: je suis charge d'un très gros projet (millions de dollars) mais je ne peux le décrire ici a cause d’accord de confidentialité.
Je vais tout de même cherche a manger dans un bon restaurant mardi soir, histoire de goûter la ‘cuisine’ canadienne.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Je me souviens bien l'importance de confidentialité à Michelin, et j'ai fait des choses assez simples pour eux. C'est probable que tu auras beaucoup d'opportunités de voyager. Tout le monde a toujours dit qu'on peut voyager avec la famille assez facilement. Alors, peut-etre tu peux visiter Québec avec Kira et les enfants au futur. =o)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Oh, god -- now I have to learn French. Again. ;)

Kira, I'm glad you're blogging. And of course I'm glad things are going better. And I'm even glad you believe:

God appears to want to make us work for whatever it is we get, but that it all works out in the end.

But I don't have to believe that too, do I? Because if I do, then that means there's some hella reward down the line somewhere for me and a lot of other people, and I definitely don't believe that.

I probably shouldn't be raining on your parade, but you're my friend, so I know you'll let me whine a little every once in a while, right? :)

Hey, I'm thinking about visiting, since I have a car and lots of time these days. I just have to make sure I'm not dead broke when I try to do it, and also make sure the dogs are taken care of.

10:12 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

I'm reminded of Steve Martin's comment: "Those French have a different word for everything!"

5:42 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Laura--what little French I know becomes harder to hear when it's a Canadian. I'm used to the straight French accent too. And if Brian likes Tavels, that's another plus in his column as far as I'm concerned...haha!

Angie--sure thing! I can do that when Nov. rolls around. Last Nov. I found one I loved at Total Wine and More. I told Amy that she'd love a nouveau more than a villages because they are even more fruity and fresh, but since it's already May, if I located one it wouldn't have that delicious fresh taste that they have in Nov, Dec, and even Jan. By spring, I decide to wait until next year. It's not like they go BAD, so much as they lose some of that vibrancy that I adore in the nouveau.

I had posted that I got the job renewed over on your blog, but I guess I should slap up the response here too so that everybody knows! I can't believe that I forgot to post that...I found out about a week ago that I got the position for next year. I still have no idea what I'm teaching, but my spidey sense says that they'll dump 103 on me again. Oh well! I'm just glad to work :) And yes, sometime I think it'd be great to go to Montreal WITH the kids and Alex. Won't be this year, but maybe in a few years!

Alex--hehehe :) Yes, life is beautiful, and I love how excited the kids are when you get home. Jared in particular just needs you. It's so sweet to see him cling to you happily or curl up in your lap.

Joe--by my sister's statement, she meant US as in ALEX AND KIRA, not as in all people everywhere, so you're not supposed to believe it for you or other folks ;) Some people get the easy path in life; some people get the hard path. For us, it seems to be in-between. We get lots and lots of shit, but it always works out all right in the end. I'd rather that than the straight hard path, I tell ya! And come on down! If you can arrive here and pay for your gas, I'll feed ya. I like cooking with you--you're probably the only one, too. Ask Alex. He's not allowed in my kitchen when I'm at work. We'll have lots of cheeeeeeese, Joe :)

NWJR--yeah! They DO, damn them! haha!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

You forgot to mention that when you're driving the new car, it's YOU - not the car - making the "zoom, zoom" sounds!

I'll bring you my Sex and the City dvds. I'm appalled that one of my friends has never seen an episode.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

It makes me happy to hear about your delirious joy! Good for you. I can't believe they're taking 10% of Alex's check, what a colossal rip off!

Now here's a real challenge for you: I can't drink any wine at all because I get a terrible headache. Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever heard in your entire life? Well, don't be too sad. I can drink BEER! Yahoooo!

Juanita

5:06 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Glad to hear all is well with you and Alex and family!

8:05 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Oh, yes. Every paragraph reeks of it. Which is good.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Hey, is Chian going with you to Grant's again? Cat blog! Cat blog! :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Thanks, Kira.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

It rocks that you both/all know how good life is while it is good!

I heart you guys, keep loving.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home