My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What I Learned

I loved being in Louisville for the readings. We happened to be stationed in one location with the French lit/language readers and the statistics readers too. I never really spoke to the statistics readers, but I had a blast meeting some of the French readers. Most of them were Americans who had a passion for France, but I had this facinating hours-long conversation with one French woman who had moved here 30 yrs ago, giving up her country out of love for her husband. 30 years later, she facinated me by how French she remained in so many ways, yet how she had also adapted to the parts of America that appealed to her. She gave me this pep talk about learning French, too...she scolded me for being unwilling to try to say and prounounce words/phrases in conversation because that's the only way I'll learn (she's right). She told me how frustrated she was when she studied in England for a year at first because she was so scared to speak in English, even though she understood a lot, and when she finally decided "this is silly--I need to just speak," she made numerous embarrassing errors. But only through those errors did she become the fluent speaker that she is today. I could only hear a faint hint of her French accent. Her vocabulary and grammar were flawless. It was a message I need to hear a lot, I suppose.

The food sucked. Now, even though I can be quite picky about some foods due to my own explorations in the kitchen, on the whole I'm easy to please. Or at least, it's easy to get me to say that the food is "decent" at a minimum. But no--it SUCKED. I started skipping dinner even though it was free and eating fruit and pretzels instead because after breakfast and lunch, I couldn't face the cafeteria again. If they had kept me there for two months, I would have lost all the weight I needed to lose. My problem is that I love good food. But I hate bad food, and I will refuse to eat it even when on the edge of starvation, so all you have to do is make it so that the bad food options are all I get. That will never happen at home...

The AP English lit folks like to make 60% of us college teachers and 40% of us high school teachers. The high school teachers fight for the right to go grade and often wait years to get to go. Obviously, if they teach AP English, this experience can help them immensely as they prepare their kids for the exam. It's harder to convince college teachers to go, so I think that I'll be invited back next year. Even though I missed Alex and the kids like crazy, I liked hanging out with other literary geeks and enjoyed the experience on the whole. The grading pace was insane, and I'm glad I won't be looking at more student essays for the rest of the summer. Here's what I learned:

1) A disabled person is "handied cap."
2) George Orwell apparently wrote a sequel I never read entitled 1985
3) The Great Gatsby is by Oscar Wilde, and the main female character is Ophelia
4) Hamlet and Macbeth are easily mistaken for one another
5) When in doubt, make up a new word. My favorite was "dishoveled" (and apparently, from scanning the net, this is a popular new word--it creates an interesting mental image, so maybe we'll get that one in the dictionary one day! I think it's more interesting than "disheveled")
6) Students really just want to write on Moby Dick so that they can have the opportunity to scribble out the phrase "sperm whale." Or, even better, "Giant Albino Sperm Whale."
7) We had one essay supposedly on The Death of a Salesman that identified the title character as Stanley Lowman. One of my tablemates renamed the work Death of a Streetcar.

Then there were the funny sentences that amused us:

1) In reference to The Sun Also Rises and the main character's inability to get it up, thereby causing problems in the relationship with the woman he loved: "Doesn't he have two hands and a mouth? There are many ways to pleasure a woman!"
2) "I don't know what syntax means; however, that won't stop me from trying to write about it."
3) In reference to The Scarlett Letter: "Too bad Hester didn't live in New York City instead of Boston. No one would have cared there." (IE, about her adulterous affair)
4) "They were badly mistreated; in fact, they were killed." (I'm not sure killing is really THAT bad of a mistreatment....)
5) "Without a past, the future would be impossible" (no, really! ya think?)
6) "Past relationships have caused people to become bitter; high school has driven people insane."
7) About Faust: "The demonic pact was a bad call on Faustus's part, but he was old already."

Some of the essays were, as my table leader said, "mercifully brief," so when I said that I graded over 1000 essays, some of them were just a paragraph or two long (my question was the last one, so sometimes the students ran out of time). Then we occasionally had kids who didn't care about the exam who would draw pictures and write quirky stuff inside the book instead. So, it's not like it was 1000 essays of 6 pages, but damn it was still a lot!

Anyway, I am now glad to have my summer to myself. Life is good right now--for the first time in years, we're ok with money over the summer, and that relief is amazing. I'm used to surviving over the summer on a few thousand dollars less than we have available to us, but since Alex's internship is paid, we're doing ok. I stare at my checkbook and go, "Oh wow, there's still money in there!!!" What a nice feeling. I hope it continues!

7 Comments:

Blogger NWJR said...

"Syntax" is the money you give the government when you buy cigarettes or beer.

Right?

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They always told us (AP French teachers) that the French AP exam was the hardest, not necessarily because of the content, but because the graders were actually French. All I know is the test was more difficult than the professional knowledge exam we had to take in order to teach. (Ironic, huh?) I guess they were trying to scare us by telling us they'd all be French, lol.

I can still remember taking the AP English exam so vividly. I was such a nerd that when I read the questions, I was thrilled because they were GOOD, rigorous questions. I had read some of the older exams that were too cut and dry. I wanted to INTERPRET!

Apparently, having mono is a great diet. Anna's lost 12 pounds, and she doesn't have that many to spare, lol.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

So, when T wrote "In today's society, night is the flipside of day," he was really just reciting his AP exam??

I never want to read, grade or edit again. The 42-page magazine and 35 press releases went out today. I'm worded out.

3:09 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Someday, kid, you will be rolling in dough. And knowing you, it will be in a safe place. Good rabbit leg to you.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

I really enjoyed your post got here via Foilwoman.

Those English mistakes are wonderful..... totally understand the similarity between Hamlet and Macbeth. obvious.....

They are both plays you glaze over in lessons dreaming about recess or whatever.

Hope you're impressed that as an English woman i know the word recess. The power of cartoons eh!
px

12:08 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(a) I always wondered who those graders were.

(b) I love the responses.

(b1) That's actually correct. And a lazy person is Andy Capp (if he's British).

(b2) Orwell also wrote the prequel, 1983

(b3) As I recall, Ophelia was a golfer and personal friend of F. Stop Fitzgerald.

(b4) Apparently, the Danes and the Scottish sound alike when they speak in Shakespearian accents.

(b5) 'Dishoveled' is actually when you replace the dirt or snow that you originally shovelled.

(b6) They're probably laughing at you right now. "Huh-huh-huh. She said 'sperm'."

I'm surprised nobody said "perm whale." After all, they are mammals.

(b7) Frm what I heard, Kowolski didn't like being a Tennesse Williams character, so he signed a new contract with Arthur Miller. Anyway, someone had to look out for Biff after Willie offed himself.

(c) I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, but some of the second set of responses seem like they might qualify for at least honorable mention.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

NWJR--yeah! And to think he didn't figure that one out!

Angie--Well, I have to say that I talked to five AP French readers, and one out of the five was French. However, out of the remaining four, THREE of them had lived in France for several years and studied, so I guess that means they are pretty up on their French. By next year, I hope to have a basic convo with them. I'm going to take French 101 in the fall, and this summer I'm reviewing French cds and books. I will have the odd position in French 101 of knowing way more French than anybody but the teacher, but still needing to start from the beginning to learn grammar and such... And I enjoyed taking the English AP exam too. My teacher rocked. As I told some of the high school AP Eng lit teachers, my teacher never concentrated on the exam. She ONLY taught us literature, and the week before we had the exam, we went over a sample test ONCE just to be familiar with the format. The HS teachers all scoffed at this method and said sneeringly, there's no way that could work. You need to teach for the exam. And then they were stunned when I told them that we ALL passed: 5s and 4s with only two 3s...no 2s or 1s. Let's hear it for knowledge. If you know English lit, you can do well on that exam, period.

Amanda--my personal recommendation is to never, ever use Clemson sources for your magazine articles. That one particular one I edited was HORRIFIC. It could have been an AP exam answer indeed.

Hoss--rolling in dough? How did you know I was working on making bread from scratch this week!

Pixie--well, yeah! Macbeth, Hamlet...people die in both, right? Of course they are the same!

X.dell--No, I don't know that fiction contest, but perhaps I should check it out just in case. I was exposed to a fantastically amusing stack of essays at the AP conference. They should be worth something!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home