My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back Again

I had a week plus at the AP English Lit conference in Louisville, KY, and I'll write about it soon. I'm just now recovering. I had thought about contacting SC to see him, but then I realized that this was my first year and I'd be jumping through hoops (plus my 91 yr old grandma lived there and I wanted to visit on my free time). It was busy as hell. I graded over 1000 essays. My brain leaked out of my ears. Yet, I would do it again.... I have to admit that it was the first real conference I've ever been to with tons of English lit folks, and the day a bunch of us rode the elevator and seven of us started reciting the General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales in middle English, I knew immediately why so many folks went to these things. Wow. I'll blog about it later, but just know this: I was so glad I went!!!! And not just for the paycheck!

6 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

The thought of reading 1000 essays in a week makes my head hurt. But I'm glad you had a great time.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Go Girl!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you basically got a dollar an essay? Doesn't seem like enough when you break it down that way, although I'd gladly take it during the summer, lol! I hope the room and board made it worth it too.

Actually, one of the reasons I LOVE going to conferences is when you get in the middle of a group of people who care about what you care about, it just rocks. The John Dewey Society is sponsoring a conference in Kyoto later this year. I wanna go sooooooo bad!

Anyway, glad you're back!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Thanks for breaking that down to $1/essay, JPD! :)

I remember having to memorize that passage in Middle English...

Wan that Aprille with her showers sote...or something like that.

Liberal arts... ha ha I'm like a walking version of Father Guido's 5 minute university.

4:06 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

"I graded over 1000 essays. My brain leaked out of my ears."

You have my sympathy!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Brave soul to do the AP English stuff. I am a high school French teacher(visiting from Hoss) whose daughter took and is taking AP. It's against my advice because she hates to read/analyse. (she got a 3 on the AP English language which was only because she has had two fabulous high school English teachers) I can "hardly" wait for AP Lit this year. HA HA

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home