My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Wow

The 'wow' is for 'wow, I'm actually walking funny, just like all those jokes Amanda and I have made!' Good job, Alex, is all I can say ;) I hope the students don't pick up on it tomorrow because they all know where I was over break...doesn't take too much brain to piece that one together!

Alex and I celebrated Vday on Saturday as we weren't together last Monday. I was very proud of the presents I got him (all gotten with a good deal or else my broke ass would not be able to afford it, I might add!): the Star Wars DVD collection, a nice robe, and a really spiffy brown suede jacket from Banana Republic. He took me to The Melting Pot, sent me Godiva, made sure I had 18 longstem red roses, and gave me presents I would really, really want: a set of heart shapped dessert plates with matching mugs. Many women would think, oh crap, that's just NOT a vday present at all! But see, Alex actually KNOWS me. He knows what I drool over and think of as a pampering gift. I love to cook, so there are many items at Williams-Sonoma that I love (and those plates and mugs were from W-S). He knows I can't typically afford them, and he knows I WANT them. Therefore, Alex--by understanding fully what makes Kira tick--got me a gift I love. Yay! Jumper cables are not, to me, a romantic gift, even if you need them. But fun cooking/kitchen items ARE! Weeee!

After our Saturday and Sunday together, I drove him back to USC. I stayed there until Tuesday night because of my two day break. Wow, what perfect days we had...it was truly bliss. We went to Carraba's for the first time--I had always wanted to eat there, but never had done so. Great Italian food! We wandered around the mall and Alex found a few more items at W-S he had to get for me: chocolate handcrafted marshmellows, eight vday glasses with romantic french phrases on them, and eight heart shapped taper candle holders. I can't believe that he loves to shop. I can drag him into any store at any time, and he happily joins me and carries the bags. I swear this man rocks. It amused me that the lady at Gymboree asked us if we had just started dating. I guess she assumed that because Alex was so attentive to me (he went to the sales clerk to ask her about a sweater that was unmarked in price that I was considering for Jared, then promptly returned to start playing with my hair as I scoped out the sales rack), we must be a new couple. I told her with a grin that we had been together for a year and a half, but that as Alex was French, I didn't expect him to change. She laughed and mused over an Austrian guy she had dated once...hmmm I'm thinking European men just may be the way to go period! Except...

When we went over to Severine's apartment to see her brother the other night, I told Severine and her bro how Alex and I had met. I was explaining to them how I had told Alex to go home to France and forget about us being ever a couple because he was stuck in France and I was here. Then Alex had said he would apply to this business school and get a dual MBA in America and France as a way to get over here, and I just blew him off. I truly didn't believe he'd do it because so many men had told me in their lives how they would do X, Y, or Z and it never got done. As I explained this to Severine, she nodded WAY too vigorously...as if to say, yes, Kira, you are right, men rarely do what they say or promise they will do. This forces me to conclude that Sev has had experiences similiar to mine and that perhaps I have just been romanticising French men on the whole. Note to self: talk to Sev about her dating experiences with French men to determine if Alex is just rare, period, regardless of nationality!

I never did get to finish off my story of how we got together. See, Alex considered we were an item--or that I was worth waiting for--from the second that I met him in person. I was very, very insistant that he date others because I sure as hell was going to do so...well, I thought he wouldn't be able to come over here, plus I was a bitter woman. But for me, until I SAW that he was determined to have me and would make good on his promises, I couldn't say we were really an item. I stared at him under the microscope and waited for him to screw up. Imagine my surprise when he didn't. I clearly remember the day that I found out that he had done so well on the entrance exams for his business school. My heart raced. I thought, oh shit, a man who says he'll do it AND THEN DOES IT!!! I gotta keep this one! And I lept upon the poor, defenseless Alex as a lioness might leap upon the wounded gizelle. I think he was stunned when he realized how much of myself I had been holding back for the previous year. I had one last checkmark to make before I considered it a one-on-one monogamous relationship: his visit to my parent's house in Tampa.

He greeted me that fateful night in a suit with a half dozen red roses. I remember looking up and seeing him coming down the escalator at the airport and thinking, holy hell, that's it. TAKE ME!!!!! Alex looks really, really fine in a suit. And with flowers too? Ok, you don't want details so I will leave it to your imagination. But let's just say he was properly greeted to the USA and that he understood fully my intent at that point to keep him forever.

How many people out here wonder when that "romance" stage of a relationship ends? Raise your hands! I wonder that as well. Does it HAVE to end? I'd rather it not. I see my parents as an example as how it doesn't have to end...can I accomplish that with Alex? Can any person, or is that just a freakish case that can never be repeated?

On another rambling note, I feel yucky. What I mean by that is, well, my body feels yucky. I keep stuffing it full of food lately and usually it feels really content that I've fed it what it prefers, but lately I feel....bleck. Like a bloated whale, beached, unable to roll itself back into the water. I don't mean that I LOOK like one--I don't--I just feel like one. Please dear god don't let me come to the conclusion that it's lack of exercise. I don't want to exercise. It just seems so...unhealthy ;)

And other notes: the cookie sales are ALMOST DONE!!!! WOOHOO! It's this Friday that we have to have all the boxes sold. We're close to it as far as I know. Still, I can't buy the slack if we need it bought. I'm broke. We mostly have Peanut Butter Patties and Peanut Butter Sandwiches left to sell. I don't know why...if 10% of the world were as enthusiastic about PB sandwich cookies as Amanda, we'd not have a box left!

And on another note: MY COLLEGE/JOB IS NOW BORING AND IT IS AMANDA AND CHUCK'S FAULT!!!! There. I said it. The WC used to be so much fun when I got to joke around with Amanda about rabbits and such. And then when Chuck came last term, he'd actually play with my hair while making the most hilarious comments...damn, they both made my hours there pass so speedily! But now it's all very, very slow....*sobs* Oh well. I will mill about as the only pervert there in the morning hours. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home