My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Actually!

Yeah, one more post before I go!

I have a crazy job history. I thought I'd share:

Fast food woman...first job I ever had. Hated smelling like French fries and be sticky from the grease when I got home.

File clerk at medical supply place....*snore*

Temporary at Duke...some of the jobs were cool (working in the political science department), some were interesting and I learned a lot (prep tech in the medical labs), and some made me want to stab my eye out with a fork just to get out of the job (receptionist at the children's psychiatric ward...kids stealing stuff and yelling in your ear and drawing on your desk while you try to print them their 'event ticket' and answer nonstop ringing phones...you know it's bad when you return from your first break on the first day and your boss there excitedly says, "YOU'RE BACK! Every other temp we've tried has run off at break! Lunch the latest!")

Then, with my English degree, I uhhh...thought I wanted to be a veterinarian. I went back for a few science math classes, lived back with the folks, and worked as a Veterinary Technician at an Animal Hospital. I learned a HELL of a lot, but...I also learned that the animals DIE sometimes! Shit! Why didn't anybody TELL me that before? Haha!

So I went off to graduate school for my master's, and I had a fellowship. Fellowship means no teaching, damnit. I needed more money so I did professional pet sitting. Up until that point, I have to say this one was my favorite job. Well, ok, so the one at the political science department was fun because it was great for my ego...two faculty and four grad students hitting on me non stop! But the pet sitting was great. I walked about 6 miles a day walking dogs, and so I was in fantastic shape! The animals were largely fun. Only time I didn't like it was during a holiday week when I got no sleep. My boss offered me half the business if I stayed and helped her out more. However, we had to move. And honestly, I love spending holidays with my family. Being a petsitter means no more holidays ever.

Finished up the master's degree. Deal was: we move somewhere I can finish up my PhD. Ex went back on that when he found a job that he thought would work well. He wasn't being an ass...he just really wanted that job. And I agreed to do it 'cause I loved him. Oh, and 'cause I'm a moron :)

The first job I could get when we moved was waiting tables.

I...hate...waiting...tables. Which is sad because I was actually pretty good at it. I never have despised a job more than that one, however. If I'm going to be in the food industry, it'll be as the chef. Thanks.

Then came the most disturbing job I ever held: foster care worker for DSS. Let me tell you the bad news. They don't let you kill the pedophiles or the parents who break their kids' bones and make them bleed. SUCKS, doesn't it? And then sometimes you KNOW what needs to be done, but you can't do it, and you trip on the red tape. I cried a LOT on that job...and I'm not a crier by nature. I remember EVERY CHILD I had on that caseload. And worry about them to this day.

Then I did a turn at the office of child support, helping to smack down deadbeat parents to get them to financially support the kids. That one was ok. Not as stressful as DSS...yet still I felt like I was doing good in the world. I guess if I had to do it again, I could.

Then I had a nice surprise! Ariana was wanted, believe me. The ex and I had decided we wanted two kids. But...we weren't at a good point financially, so we decided two years down the road would be better. My ovaries had a different timetable. We adapted. I stayed home.

I was the treasurer for the Mommy's Morning Out program that Ari was enrolled in, and continued after Jared was born. I coordinated the program against my will for a year (nobody else would do it). My parents trained me to be responsible RE: volunteer work, though, so I was happy to help in the long run.

Things went wonky. I obtained a certificate in technical writing just to broaden job options. Guys, the industries of today have no real need for a woman with a master's degree in Medieval and Renaissance Literature. Just thought I'd warn you. Anyway, job market was crap...eventually I was hired as a teacher (adjunct professor) at a school that is referred to here as premiere Technical School. If you say it in a sarcastic tone of voice, it sounds better. I also did and still do tutoring hours in the Writing Center there. In fact, that's how Amanda and I became friends...she was my boss in the WC! And here I remain. I love teaching. I hope I can manage to stay in this field, but I need a "full time" job badly. Full time is when I teach 5 classes and advise students for registration (and get benefits like health ins. plus $15k more a year than I do now), vs. teaching SIX classes, no benefits, $15k less, and that includes the WC hours I'm putting in too. Hell, other schools have FOUR classes as full time. Six is a bitch. Trust me. Otherwise, though, I really love teaching.

Ok, there you have it: my job history. Eclectic, yes?

NOW I will go to bed so I can get up tomorrow and go! Nighty night!

6 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

You forgot about the sex-for-All-Clad job. :)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Where can I apply at the sex-for-all club, Joe?

I was a hostess, a waitress (really bad at it), a pharmacy tech, a tutor, a flight attendant, a secretary and now a speech therapist. My last job has been my best (but I'm sure it resembled yours at DSS from time to time), but I can honestly say I'd rather be a woman of leisure...a lady who lunches.

At this point, I think the lottery is my best bet (and that's not a very good bet)...so I chug along.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

No, sex for all-*clad*, not *club*. But I think I saw someplace like that when I was in Las Vegas last weekend; I can get you the address if you like. :)

2:32 PM  
Blogger DCveR said...

Huumm... and after all this?
Yeah, I know you don't know me, but I was surfing through the blogs, read yours, got stuck for a while in that DSS part, and got curious.
So, what would you really want to do now? You wrote you love your job, you say you are happy, but what is your dream now?

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying your trip!

I have spent more time waiting tables than I have teaching; although, if this year goes as planned, I'll finally have more teaching experience.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

And I thought I had alot of jobs! Way to be.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home