My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, June 20, 2005

Amanda's Elf Machine

As has been pointed out repeatedly, my brain doesn't work normally. For this simple fact I am grateful as I figure it makes me fun to invite to parties or at least it makes it easy to hold my students' attention. That being said, nowhere better illustrates how unusual your brain may be than dreamland.

I woke up an hour ago. That alone concerns me because I realized that any night I don't take my allergy medicine before bed or have a niiiice glass of wine or brandy, I tend to wake up periodically and have crap sleep. The only way around it is a massage. A massage is in France right now. Bah. Anyway, an hour ago I woke up mumbling about Amanda and elves. I suppose it's more interesting than when I woke up an hour before that and was wailing out loud, "je ne comprehends pas!" which, I believe, is a big sign I've been trying too hard with my French lately.

So, here's the dream: Amanda calls me up and says she has something to show me. Don't ask me why, but when she shows up with the package, she shows up at an economics class I'm taking at a school I've never seen before that moment. Odd since I've never taken an economics class. Hmmm. So, she tells me that since fuzzbusters are illegal in Virginia, if I have this device it scares off the cops. Intrigued, I open up the white, puffy envelope only to find an odd looking piece of plastic. This piece of plastic does not resemble rabbits in the least. I look at her inquiringly, and she tells me solemnly, "This device turns men into elves." Apparently the theory is that the cops are scared because they don't want to become elves, so they'll let you on without a speeding ticket. WTF? Hahaha!

In the dream, I examine the piece of plastic thoroughly. I become very interested in the idea of turning men into Legolas. Yes, Legolas, basically the only thing since Bo Duke that is blonde that I stared at and admired! (I say it like that because I have a fetish for dark hair on guys...the darker, the better...). Amanda discusses with me the relative merits of having more elves in the world. I wake up.

I dare you to analyze THAT one.

My cerviche could be eaten now, but I keep thinking it'd be too decadent to eat cerviche at 6a. Since you don't cook the fish in cerviche, you have to leave it marinading in the lime juice and herb concoction for at least 8 hrs in order for it to "cook" in the non-conventional sense. Damn does it look good. *tummy rumbles* Now I have to pick out another recipe to do next! Two books down, 38 to go.

7 Comments:

Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Legolas is so hot. If I had a device that turned all cops into Legolas...all cops would be Legolas. Here's some French for you...il fait fondre mon slip.

And here's a recipe to go, not with your cerviche, but with some light white wine on your patio/porch. Skin a peach. Cut it up into small pieces (but not minced). Add about a tablespoon of balsamic vinaegar. Spoon onto slices of baguette, lightly toasted with olive oil. Top with blue cheese. Heat for about 2 min. Enjoy.

Not as good as Legolas, but close.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL... I have bizarre dreams like that too. You should get Gama to take a stab at the analysis - he's into lucid dreaming and usually has good ideas for me to ponder.

7:51 AM  
Blogger GM said...

Oh, you darn kids and your Legolas elves! When will you learn, annoying pseudo-humans don't pay???

Hmm... Perhaps the dream was an expression of a supressed desire to steal pumpkins, where Legolas represented the pumpkins and the machine's transformation represented stealing?

9:26 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Laura...is that "he makes my underwear melt"??? haha! I'm just a beginner with French, but I like to learn the slang with the "formal" stuff because that's what French folks SPEAK (like us and our American slang). The recipe sounds good since I like a) peaches b) balsamic vinegar c) baguettes, or the excuses for them that we have in America, and d) blue cheese. MMmmm...might have to add that to my recipe try list!

Amanda, I just changed out the batteries on mine :) The links were wonderful...the first one on the list looked particularly worthy to try right away, so it also might get added to my list!

Angie, I noticed you and the crazy dreams! How come the only ones I remember are the strangest of the strange? I've had a few that would take pages to recall, but they were STILL just nuts.

Ency, I think the dream had to to with Weasels, and a lack of metal, duct tape, and robots :)

12:18 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I'm not good at analyzing dreams, but this was was a big hoot to read about!! I loved it!!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

HMmmm, Legolas - he is very yummy. And I agree - I don't usually like blondes but he sure takes the cake. Hmmmmm.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

My guess is that you secretly desire to have power over men ;O)

That, or to have someone else hold the rabbit, yet be out of sight!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home