My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Friday, June 03, 2005

Abbott and Costello Moments

I don't know how many of you remember Abbott and Costello. They were before my time, but I saw re-runs all the time when I was a child and they amused me (so did The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals). There's a famous skit between those two comedians called, "Who's on First?" Today, my son and I unwittingly had a tribute to this talented duo. It began with Jared asking me a simple yet complex question: "Mommy, is today tomorrow?" Blinking, I stared at him and replied, "Er, no, today is today. Tomorrow is tomorrow." Frowning, he responded, "But yesterday Grammy said that tomorrow would be today!" I held my head to keep it from exploding, then retorted, "Yes, on Thursday night Grammy said that when you went to bed, the next day was tomorrow and that day was Friday. But now it's Friday, and now is today." A gleam in his eye--one of those gleams that lets me know either he's proud of his thoughts or he's proud to frustrate his mother--twinkles and then he chortles, "But Friday was tomorrow, so if it's Friday, it's tomorrow! Today is tomorrow!" Sighing, clutching my head more, I groaned, "Well, if you want to be profound about it, Jared, all todays were once tomorrows, and so every day is today and tomorrow." And then, nodding like the little philosopher he is, he looked up at me solemnly and said, "Yes. See? Today is tomorrow. I told you! And tomorrow will be today too." KAPOW! And then I cleaned up the mess that was my brain exploding on the walls as he scampered off to play.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jezzy said...

Fantastic! Love that repartee - *very* Abbott and Costello!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A genius !

Now we just have to make sure he isn't an evil genius...(is reminded of a student in GTO who drives the teachers mad with questions they can't answer :D)

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids always ask these kinds of questions when you're too distracted to realize they are setting you up in some mind-boggling catch-22. Smart little guy - and I bet he's only going to get smarter... Be ready! =o)

1:53 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

What a joy of a boy! I love it!

Get him right into science and math, he will build our first transporter. Like, "If I am here and you are there but you are HERE and I am THERE for you WHY aren't we in the same place?!"

I also called my first website "Third base". why? Because I don't know is on third and I don't know so I must be on third base.

Thanks for the fun today!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home