My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hiccup!

Ok, two glasses of wine and I'm intoxicated. Sad, sad. But cheap! Which is good considering how broke I am!

I pulled something out of my "wine cellar" (HAHAHAHAHA sorry, it just amuses me to call it a cellar...it's actually two wine racks that can hold a total of 12 bottles) tonight. It's a new wine for me to try. Naturally, after drinking some excellent French wines a month ago, I'm curious to spread out more with French wines. This one is Chateau Picoron, Cotes De Castillon, 2000. Ok, now to tell you what this means via my measley wine knowledge. In America, we tend to talk about wines via their grape varietal (IE, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, etc.). French wines are labeled by their region, not their grape variety. In this case, the Cotes De Castillon is the region. I think "cotes" is French for "hillsides," but I'm too damn lazy to look it up. Anybody feel free to correct me if you know otherwise. There's a carrot over the 'o' in cotes, but I have an American keyboard and we're back to: I'm too lazy to look up how to add the damn thing. The closest I can get is ^. I think I owe you two more, so ^^. There ya go! This wine ROCKS. I have to guess at the damned grape varietal because, like I said, French wines are done by region and not grape variety. I would guess merlot. I might be guessing wrong, but who cares? It's GOOD. I highly recommend it. It's just very, very drinkable. Nice and fruity and pleasant on the tongue.

So, I've decided now to do an ongoing project for the rest of the year: one new recipe cooked from every cookbook I own. You guys have NO IDEA how long that will take....haha! I think I have about 40 cookbooks. Hum. And I have to pick out things this summer that aren't expensive ingredient wise because I'm broke until the fall. I randomly picked a cookbook off my shelf tonight, and the winner is The French Culinary Institute's Salute to Healthy Cooking. I had to stare at it for a moment because I had NO idea I had any cookbook that contained the word "healthy" in the title. I must have gotten it as a gift! Ok, so I scanned some pages and almost chickened out and did the tomato soup (very cheap ingredients...), but I wanted something more exciting, so I am going for Noix de Saint Jacques au Gingembre Frais. It only requires 8 sea scallops, so I'm thinking I can swing it. Wait, it says I need to throw vermouth in there too....this won't be inexpensive...aw, screw it, I've picked it, and I'm sticking with it. I can eat ramen and tuna the rest of the week! Oh, and the translation for those of you wondering about it: Sea scallops with fresh ginger sauce. As mentioned previously, the French have this hilarious way of calling scallops "saint jacques" instead of the given name of petoncle because of the popularity of that scallop dish. I can't make it tomorrow due to girl scout camping weekend, but my goal is for next week. I have to pick up the scallops the day I cook the recipe (well, if I want it to taste great I do at least...). And I need to buy vermouth. The rest of the ingredients aren't bad. Looks tasty, too. Note: the 1 cup of nonfat sour cream it calls for WILL be substituted for full fat, yes my god it's good sour cream. I don't "do" nonfat. I would rather have two teaspoons of something orgasmic than two TONS of cardboard SHITE (no Kira, tell us what you really feel!).

I've given it a lot of thought, and yes, this is exactly the construction for a perfect summer!

1) Read
2) Good wine
3) Good food
4) Play with kids
5) Sleep
6) Joie de vivre!

The only thing that could make it better would be for Joe to show up with a Huge Ass Bag O' Gourmet Cheese (folks, last time he came, he gave me a SEVERAL POUND BLOCK of parmesan reggiano!) and come cook with me. Yes, Joe, since I know you read my blog but never post here....that's a hint ;)

Signing off now! WEEEEEE!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hehehehe my little lightweight! We are well matched :D
I wish I had been there to share the fun. I admit that when I read this, it makes me wish for that teleportation spell again lol. I like your joie de vivre goal dearest. It is very French! And I love you for that and everything else.
Now I just have to restrain the urge to talk to you until you are awake…;)
Have fun at the GS !!!!! Teach them to swear in French lol.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

I just had a very yummy glass of 1998 Aussie Shiraz. Very, very yummy. And the perfect summer sounds lovely.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Hallelujah! Open commenting, finally! Woo-hoo! And it's "caret," not "carrot." But you were drunk, so it's ok. :)

J.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Now that I'm over the initial flush of excitement in *finally* being able to post.... I'd love to come up. But it's going to be harder now getting there in a car that barely gets me to work, and I can't afford to being 2 1/2 lb. blocks of Parmigiano-Reggiano these days. Wait, I've got an idea! You, reveling in the freedom of unemployment, could *visit me* -- yeah, that's it! I don't think that's *ever happened*. And we can drink the wine on hand (that should last a few months, so long as your kids stay out of it), and I can cook, or you can cook and use my *All-Clad*, and you don't even have to have sex with me to use it (not that you would anyway). And you can have Joe's homemade cheese: it's ten times better than any old Parm-Reg anyway. :^)

Oh, BTW, the afore-ridiculed diacritical mark, modeled above on the gorgeous face of this summer's hottest new smiley model, was neither a carrot not a caret, but a circumflex. But now I'm being a dick. :)

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home