My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Good and the Bad

Good news: tax refund was large! I already mapped it out so that I can survive the dry summer months once again AND have enough to take to Vegas, baby! Yay!

Bad news: Alex has some mysterious illness. He's exhausted all the time. He finally went into the doctor today, and the doctor had a hard time getting blood for some tests. Alex has to come back in after a week to discuss some other test results, but so far the doc is perplexed. Apparently Alex's lymph glands are swollen, and his spleen (?!) feels swollen too, so the doctor told Alex no work for the next two days. He doesn't want Alex riding his bike anywhere, either, and Alex implied that the doctor felt that it was best to minimize the risk of a spleen rupture. So then I worried myself into an ulcer. And then I realized there's not a damn thing I can do, so instead I resigned myself to Exploding Spleen Jokes to Alex which left us both laughing. I mean really, is there ANYTHING funnier than the idea of a Monty Python "One thin mint wafer" type of explosion while you're hugging your loved one?

Poor Alex left his cell phone inside the doctor's office too. It's his company's cell phone, so he's a bit stressed about getting it back tomorrow. I think he had the unluckiest day of the last year today. It was raining; he bikes to the doctor's in the rain, and a branch hits the chain and the chain falls off. He has to fix the bike and go on. Then when he gets to the doctor's, there's a hang up with his (French) insurance working over here. By the time he gets all that straightened out, there's ten people ahead of him. He stays way late. They are unable to find the cause of his misery, and so arrangements are made for another visit. He leaves, THEN after he can't return into the office as it is after hours and locked and all, he realizes he left his cell phone there so he can't call anybody to help him get home...in a rainstorm...with a broken bike...uphill. There I was, all set to bitch about how my ex had dropped the kids off at 8p tonight without a) them doing their homework b) them having dinner and c) Ari having her nightly nebulizer preventative treatment for her asthma, and he tells me all about his day. Ok, so now my day seems great! At least my day involved a nice tax refund!

Wait, another good part though...my day also involved distributing the chocolate cream cheese muffins to one class that I made last night. They were in heaven. I get a lot of joy out of feeding folks, so I grinned as they babbled about how delicious they were. Each of my classes gets fed once per term. I bring in brownies or cupcakes or cookies or something. Apparently the whole school knows this habit of mine because when the term starts, I always have a student ask, "So when do you bring the food?"

Last thought of the day...I was pondering Grant's comment to me in the last post for a long time. He's right. People seek me out for advice all the time, and sometimes they take it and sometimes they don't. People probably try to do so just like he gets sought out for money, beer, and rides because...people sense I actually care. And damnit, I do. I LIKE feeling helpful, and if somebody feels better bouncing ideas off of me, asking my advice, or just talking and me listening, I am quite content. Sure, sometimes I want to throttle a student who insists on telling me I'm wise for giving out great advice and then never takes it (see: student Z). But on the whole, I love helping...even if I'm not helping. And with Grant, well, he's like that deep inside too, I believe. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never met him in person, after all. But my spidey senses tell me that folks seek out Grant not because he's a sucker but that they realize on some level he gives a shit (Grant, I think this is the part wherein you tell me to Feck Off?).

20 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Ah -- you've reminded me of one of my favorite pieces of poetry!

Roses are red,
Violets are green;
Sunday afternoon
With a busted spleen.

Don't thank me -- thank Owen Johnson, wherever he is. :)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

They seek you out because you do really care, but more importantly, because you feed them! Trust me on this one...now, where's my chocolate cream cheese muffin??

FYI - yesterday's "event" has been remedied (sp?). Cleavage shirt activate!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Prom said...

Sounds like Mono to me - sore throat at all? Fever?

I assume they'll check for that in the blood test.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Wonderful! See? If you didn't blog, you wouldn't get this helpful feedback!!! I'd never have thought to do any alergy testing or to suggest it to my dr.

I hope Alex is feeling better soon.

9:00 AM  
Blogger April said...

hypersplenomegaly

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like mono. =o( You have to make him rest - A LOT.

I was planning on taking food to one of my classes tomorow for someone's bday lol.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I'm sorry I gave you something to think about. It was not my intent. :p

Looks like you're wearing your fiance out. You need a backup - at least one. Tell Alex he's not enough man for you and see if that breaks him out of his sick rut. Wait, you already have the ring, right? Just checking.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Joe--thanks! I'll add it to my collection.

Amanda--I thought there's always a cleavage shirt? haha! And I still have three muffins left...

Prom--he has no fever or sore throat. He's also had mono before...isn't mono one of those illnesses you are less likely to get if you've had it before?

Doc-T--Alex is sleeping a lot lately, and he remains tired. He does minimal exercise (his main mode of transportation is a bike, followed by walking). The tiredness has been for about a week now. He has no allergies that I've known about.

Ariana's pediatrician has been very thorough. The reason why she is on a nebulizer treatment preventative nightly (pulmicort) is that we are in cold and flu season. My daughter's one and only trigger is congestion. Every cold leads to asthma. She has seasonal allergies and an allergy to dust which also triggers congestion, so allergies COULD trigger a reaction through the congestion that she can get. The girl doesn't eat enough food to have food allergies...haha! No, she's never been tested. However, the one thing I CAN say with certainty is that after 5 plus years of asthma, we know her one and only trigger is congestion. I'll have to ask Alex if he's ever had allergy testing done.

Laura--me too. Alex is not allowed to be ill or die. He's under strict orders.

April--I love that word! I will use it.

Angie--I will try to make him rest! He needs it. And food makes friends ;)

Grant--Yeah, but that won't work unless I have a list of volunteers to serve as backup men. Just doing the random threat won't work. He'll laugh and know better!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Prom said...

"Prom--he has no fever or sore throat. He's also had mono before...isn't mono one of those illnesses you are less likely to get if you've had it before?"

Typically yes but you could have a second occurence from a different infective agent (EBV or CMV). An a sore throat is often the first sign however.

btw hypersplenomegaly is typically seen with Schistosoma mansoni (blood snail) infections. I suspect what he has is regular old splenomegaly unless he's spent time in south america or africa lately (where the snails are endemic).

It still sounds like an infection but it is strange that there is no fever.

1:37 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I really feel sorry for poor Alex. Please let it be something simple that will respond to tequila or something.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

Sending good healing thoughts.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Oh no! Poor sweet Alex. Hope he's feeling better soon. And it doesn't get any better than Monty Python, The Meaning of Life! It's wafer thin!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want a drink!!!

I want some alcohol.... :'(
Bleh, feeling dead tired, weak as a newborn baby and any activity makes me want to stop and lay down...Which is very unlike me, frustrating and depressing...
And it was a rupture of the spleen dearest (inside joke).

The test for mono came back negative so I guess I will see what the thyroid test comes back as on tuesday. Less plezsant tests may follow if I am still unwell... Yay :D

I think Hose's advice sounds best.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Best to Alex. Have they tested for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? It's been rampant around here, though this would be an unusual time of year to contract it (unless you two have been rolling around in the grass recently).

7:07 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Wow...I hope Alex gets better. Keep us posted. WE CARE!!!

I'm so glad to hear you say that you ENJOY giving advice. I sure have asked for MORE than my fair share. Most of the time, I took the advice you gave. And look where it has gotten me?!

DAMN...YOU'RE GOOD!!! Vegas, Baby!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

Congrats on the refund. Glad Uncle Sam was merciful. We're getting a decent one back too, but ours is going to support the fine people at Visa and MasterCard. When I clear my debt I will NEVER do that again.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yowsa, I will never complain about a bad day ever again. I can just feel his frustration and general sense of "you have got to be kidding me."

9:29 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Prom--the mono test and the thyroid test all revealed no mono and no abnormalities with the thyriod. And yes, he still has no fever. I think the doc is going to try the "parasite" angle now. Yum!

Hoss--all illnesses should respond to hard liquor. It'd make medical insurance unnecessary, and that would make my worries far fewer.

Faith--thanks!

Juanita--yes, Monty Python is the bomb! I have seen all the movies and a fair number of the Fawlty Towers and Flying Circus episodes too. Since Alex has the Brit blood in him, I can make all the MP jokes I want and he catches them. Yet another reason why he rocks!

Alex my love--you know, you were exhausted but not as bad today. I have hopes. The problem is I can't give you any more of...well, what I think helped perk you up...until next weekend. Therefore, I have to hope you'll either get better on your own or the doc'll figure out what's wrong with you on Tuesday!

EM--good point, but I doubt he'd have it. He's been in Columbia nearly every single day the last couple of months since Christmas. And over Christmas, he was in the highly populated city of Raleigh and then Tampa. No hiking, no ticks, etc. That'd be more likely if we went hiking up where I live....

WW--yeah! Whenever I panic about others who avoid my advice that they even requested, I remember you and Amanda who listened and are now at better places, and boy does that make me grin :) VEGAS BABY! And the tax refund will make sure I can cover the hotel and other stuff! I'm so excited.

Greg--as amazing as it seems, I have no credit card debit even though I make hardly any money and have two children. I want to crow about how great I am with money--and, well, I usually am--but my family also tosses me money sometimes for no reason, and I have to be honest that it helps a LOT.

MR--well, sometimes it just all happens on one day, you know? His bike is all fixed now at least. He just doesn't feel like riding it anywhere is all!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Prom said...

So what other tests has he had? Did his full blood test come back normal for white and red count? How about liver function indicators? Has he had tests for hepatitis? Does he have any history of autoimmune diseases in his family?

11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Prom, the only thing that my blood test showed was a low number of platelets. Not low enough that it was dramatic, but still low. My brother was diagnosed with this but his was worse. It was treated succesfully and now his number of platelets is back to normal.

So far, that is the only problem we have pinpointed. My doc did say my spleen was a bit enlarged too.

Also, I have felt some very sudden sharp pains around my chest and stomach area. No precise location except perhaps a bit more on my liver area (but then again, I couldn't tell you exactly where the liver would be).

Not sure if this helps, but I might have a better idea near the end of the week.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home