My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Sister

Note to Joe: you're the only person who wants a Kira clone, so I'm sorry but production cannot begin on that model. The agency needs an order for at least five (5) clones to start work on duplication. The Alex model is up to twelve (12) orders now, maybe 13 if you count Grant's secret desires...sure you don't just wanna get an Alex model? Haha!

My sister is nine years older than me. In fact, all three of my siblings are noticably older than me because my very Catholic parents had no idea where babies came from and poof! Suddenly the newlywed couple, five years down the road, had three children. Mark, the third child, was the product of Natural Family Planning, so my parents made the decision to violate church teachings and use birth control for a bit after that one. My dad was still in orthodontics school then, and they figured a two bedroom apartment with three children sharing one room was enough, church or no church.

In all actuality, my parents wanted five children. That was the plan. However, after a three year turn on birth control, my mom found that suddenly she had difficulties bearing children. She had three miscarriages in a row, all of which were very hard on her. I still wonder if it had something to do with the insanely high levels of hormones in the birth control pill in the 60's.

My sister had wanted a baby sister something fierce. She was too little to request one or another with Ken, but when mom was pregnant with Mark, she flat out told her: don't bother unless it's a girl. She was very displeased to find out that Mark was a boy, and when they brought him home from the hospital she circled his bassinette critically. After some silence, she finally said, "Ok, he's cute so we can keep him, but I still need that sister!"

My dad then promised my sister she'd get her request the second they moved down to Florida. Mom almost killed him. I think you can understand the myriad of reasons why.

Years passed. After the miscarriages, my mom was beyond consolation. The last one was so bad she had to have blood transfusions and everything, and the doctor told her she should make only one more attempt at a baby. Whether or not a baby resulted, she should close up shop at that point. I was the last ditch effort.

My sister spent the entire pregnancy just knowing that I'd be coming. Surely God would not be so cruel as to give her another brother! She was right: there I was, nine years after her own birth, fat and bruised. I was a large baby for a 4'10" woman to carry at 7 lbs, 10 oz, so I was squished a bit more than typical on the way out. My brothers lovingly called me Moose for years after that since I looked so hideous after being forced out of an opening way too small for my big ass self.

Oh, how thrilled my sister was to have me! She had waited nine years for me, and there I finally was. The age difference meant that she took on a more maternal role with me. I remember that no matter how busy she was, she always made time for me. I'd have friends over and she'd play teacher for us, being our teacher and writing on the chalkboard. Rose would have a bad day with my mom (they've always sparred) and run into my room, crying into my neck as I awkwardly patted her and told her it would be ok. When she started dating, all her boyfriends knew: we have to take Kira along with us on occasion on our dates. That's right. You heard me. I went with my sister on a lot of her dates. She was so busy with cheerleading and ballet and school (she was the valdictorian of our school, after all) that the only free time she had was on her dates...and she wasn't about to waste that time on JUST her boyfriend, you know? With her ex Roy, we'd go to the skating rink with his little cousin around my age, or we'd go to his family's house and swim in their pool. With Judd, we'd go to the movies to see such classics as Herbie the Lovebug or Sg. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with the Bee Gees. I knew she loved me. How could I fail to know it? She showed it every day.

For instance, there were two girls down the road whom I played with all the time, but they were frequently snots. One of them really adored my sister to death as she was the oldest and had always wanted an older sister too. My sister was aware of this hero worship, and so when Andrea had treated me poorly one day, there was Rose bitching Andrea out over it instantly. You don't mess with Rose's sister!

I was nine years old when she went off to college. Crushed, I waited eagerly for every holiday and summer break for her to come home. Imagine my surprise years later when I went off to college myself and started to visit her out in Texas with her husband...and realized we were more like peers and friends now than we were in the days when she basically became like my second mother. When she was pregnant with her first daughter, I clearly remember her saying that I had set the bar with babies, and so she was hoping her daughter would look like me. Poor Rose received more than she bargained for. Allegra was not only a gorgeous baby but she also has my temperment in a lot of ways. Imagine a more subdued version of me with less of an interest in fantasy/sci fi (still there...just she'll read a lot of other stuff too). We tease in the family that Allegra is my mini-me.

Big sisters are the bomb. As I talked to Rose for three hours on the phone last night, I realized how lucky I was to have her. Many kids are only children or are the oldest themselves. Many girls don't have sisters. I had one, and she gave me such love and support--still does--that even when we can't talk for a few months due to busy lives, I know she's got my back. I know she's thinking of me. I know she'll be there even in ghost form if she gets hit by a car right now. Big sisters do that. Everybody always talks about how big brothers get protective and all, but what about big sisters? People had more to fear with angering my 5' tall slender-boned sister than they did my bigger brothers! And she always made me feel so special because Rose just doesn't let that many people in to her "inner circle." Unlike me who can be friends with anybody and joke with jackasses, my sister will tell people to feck off (thanks, Grant!) in a heartbeat if she feels the need. Ok, so I'll do that too, I just end up remaining friends with the person anyway. There are only two people beyond Rose's kids who can get away with murder in her eyes: me and our Maw Maw (my grandmother). My big sister is the best big sister I can imagine. I really DO understand why Ariana wants Alex and I to get crackin' on a chance for her to have a little sister...ask Foilkid and Gaaahgirl. There's something about that bond sisters have that just cannot be duplicated elsewhere!

11 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Kira, I'll just take all 5. Thanks! :)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

My sisters suck.

(ha ha...waiting for the follow up comment from juanita)

7:17 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Thanks, Laurita! Just when I was feeling all teary-eyed and sentimental after reading Kira's sweet post. To make ammends, I demand that you write a similar love note to me in your blog. As for you, Kira, I'm sure you were a most fantastic baby sister, unlike the little brats I was stuck with, (see above.)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I have a big sister. She liked to abuse me and then use me to draw our mother's anger. Once she dug her claws into me, gouging chunks of flesh out of my arms, and then called mom and hysterically claimed I attacked her. When the mom unit got home, she looked at my bloodied form and told my sister that if it ever happened again, sis should grab a poker from the fireplace and use it to put me in the hospital.

So all big sisters are not created equal. Just kinda, you know, fyi.

8:24 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Nice love letter, Kira.

(P.S. Tell Ariana to go to this site to read about Meerkats and see a picture. It's the b**g operated by your friend and mine, Vicki Bennett:

www.outsidein.typepad.com)

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I look at my life holistically, my two little sisters are really my best friends. True, we had our bad times. Little sisters are bad about telling your parents you hit them to get you in trouble when you don't let them play with your toys, lol. But overall, I don't know what I would have done without them when we were moving all those times. I don't think I've ever been as relieved about anything in my life as I was when I found out Terri's biopsy came back benign today. =o)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

I was just talking with someone earlier tonight about how (I feel) so few of us have parents with relationships after which we can model our own, or families we get along with. Kira was the exception, and I thought of her: her parents are together and love each other, and she at least gets along with some of her siblings. I don't like saying bad things about people in public, and most of my siblings are dead. However, when I was a kid, I was the one the others ganged up on. It wasn't any fun, no matter whether I later repaired those relationships or not. But I'm glad someone's had some substantial, decent experiences to build on.

8:42 PM  
Blogger April said...

I have 5 sisters and 1 brother. My older brother (41) and sister (43) are from my dad and his first wife. Then I came along (27) and was the only child produced from my mom and dad. My mom remarried and had 3 girls ages 15, 14, and 12. Then my dad married his FIFTH wife and had my youngest sister, age 9. So there is a substantial age difference between me and my siblings. Because I grew up in Florida and my older sister grew up in Philly, we weren't very close. So when my mom had Casey, now 15, I made sure that I would be the best sister I could be. I'm not only her "cool" older sister, but I'm her friend. She respects me and my opinions when she asks for them. I'm not as close with the others as I'd like to be, but their personalities are much different than mine. I hope to one day be as close to them.

And I envy you for having such a tight nit family. As you can tell from my recent posts, mine isn't so tight.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Kira, in order to get five more Kiras into the world, I'll make the sacrifice. ;)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I have a sister three years younger than I am... I love her. She makes me look normal. LOL

10:37 AM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

So sweet, Kira. I'm the oldest of three girls and the youngest of three very close female cousins. So, I'm lucky enough to have big "sisters" and little sisters.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home