My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Student Update

Bad news for those of you following the Student Z story: she bounded in to the Writing Center with a grin to tell me that she's getting married to Dickwad in March. Sigh. A student who doesn't know her who was next to me said congratulations. I told him to hold off on that as it wasn't a cause to celebrate. She took it in stride as I reminded her I couldn't be happy about this decision because I knew it was going to come back and bite her on the ass. Her smile wavered, and she agreed this was, potentially, not the best manuever she could have made; however, I'm under the impression her family convinced her that her baby needs a father. Dickwad hasn't been a father to his four year old son by another woman, ever. Why would he start now? I said to her, so how long since your fiance had his last seizure? She replied: since before break! Great. She's decided to marry the man based on the fact that he's been good to her for four weeks straight. Sigh. Would it be tacky to give her a "Free Divorce!" gift certificate from a local lawyer for her wedding present? Yes? Aw, damn. I'll have to think up something else.

*****

One of my new students this term described her household set up as a child: Go to church on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Go to church twice on Sundays. On school days, the life that was pushed upon her was to come home from school, do her homework, do her chores, have dinner, then read two hours of the bible and pray for one hour. After that? Bed.

I was stunned. I have met Christian Fundamentalist families before here--it's the buckle of the bible belt, after all. I just have never met a family who did all of that regularly every week, children too. The student said that she was stunned when she got her first job and moved out. People cursed! People did all sorts of things she never knew existed! I told her to not tell her parents about me or they'd likely go nuts. She grinned wide. "Too late! They told me you were going to hell!" Well, at least I know now so I can prepare the ice bucket.

She told me it was all right, that basically I could catch a ride with her. See? Transportation arranged and everything!

****

I was tutoring a new student, and she eventually mentioned that I taught her husband. After telling me his name, I realized this was a fellow I taught in the summer of 2004...sweetheart of a guy, but not too bright. Ok, let's just say: dumb as shit. However, I didn't care as he worked and worked and worked to understand the material. He came through the Writing Center for EVERYTHING and busted his ass to make it through my English 102 class. Barely passing, he certainly deserved to get through the material based on effort alone. I liked the fellow. Hard work always impresses me. Anyway, this new student grinned at me and passed on that her husband now played basketball for a four year local university. "He said that no teacher ever, not in gradeschool, middle school, high school, tech, or at his school now, has ever compared to you. He told me that you were the best teacher he's ever had by far, and I was very lucky to have gotten you as my instructor."

Well, ok, that fed my ego nicely. I beamed. It's always nice to have these, "AHHHH so THAT is why I'm still doing this job for no money!" kind of moments. I had already run into Brenda earlier yesterday, too. She always is an instant reminder of how important my damned job is.

I really love being a teacher, despite the evil pay. Sure, the grading sucks, but it's just FUN, rewarding, and good brain exercise. I hope I don't have to mess with any other job for a long time!

16 Comments:

Blogger WordWhiz said...

Heartwarming post, Kira. This was a great way to start my day!! Thanks for sharing.

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - when you're a teacher by calling, no other job could ever come close. =o) What a nice thing to hear!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

It sounds like you may have to wash your hands of Student Z. It's pointless and frustrating trying to help people who won't help themselves. The only thing you can do for her would be to shoot Mr. Wad, which I'm not for a moment suggesting that you do so just put that right out of your mind.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

My heart dropped when I read about Z. I'll make the gift certificate for you.

Boy, hell's gonna be crowded when we all get there. Should be a good time though. ;)

9:10 AM  
Blogger April said...

So I have some competition at being your official ego-feeder!! I bet she didn't tell you that you have a great rack or that a person would be lucky to eat dinner out of your ass crack. Ok, so that was pushing it, but you get the point. Right?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I like to get that stuff in writing so I can refer back to it when I'm feeling down and out about my job!!! I know! Make "why Kira is the best teacher ever" the topic for the final exam. Give anyone an F who doesn't totally butter you up!

(Seriously, though, nice post!)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Terry Mancour said...

BEHOLD THE POWER OF TITS . . .

11:51 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

'"Free Divorce!" gift certificate'? That's funny as hell. Take that with you to hell, along with your ice bucket.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

I think a free divorce certificate is a very thoughtful gift.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Considering I am just recently engaged, I would appreciate if none of you gave us free divorce certificates LOL.


Seriously though, all you do for Z now is refer her to a good lawyer for child support. I am sure Rob will refer you someone.



New Student is probably going to do drugs, alcool and orgies to get her life balanced back :)


And April, I promise to always fill Kira's ego when you are not around :)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's really sad to hear about Z, but what can you really do? It's one of the tough things about dealing with young adults. Heck, that's why our elders got frustrated dealing with us! They all said that someday I would see they were right, and damn it, they were :) Not much we can do as adults other than be there for them when things fall down...

Thanks again for reminding me of the great job we have!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Yeah, we'll all be in hell together. It'll be fun!

5:23 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

And the neat thing you can say to yourself is: "I never gave the husband any props because he was an athlete. What he got, he earned."

You're a champ.

5:55 PM  
Blogger April said...

Alex, you don't need to promise me that you'll fill Kira's ego when I'm not around. Because everyone all ready knows that you're doing that. Even if she didn't have internet friends to compliment her, you'd be showering her with words of kindness. That's just the way you are and the reason why we all want a cloned Alex!! =)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Actually, I could do with a cloned Kira myself: Alex isn't my type -- sorry! ;)

8:21 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I love your "stiff upper-lipedness", K. It is so nice when someone with level head (you) is helping out the needy troops. I thank you (for them).

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home