My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

And It Continues!

About a week ago, my ex presented to me an envelope that arrived in the mail addressed to me. The return address stated, "S. Claus" and the rest of it was addressed to me but at the old house. Odd, I thought. Wouldn't Santa Claus know I moved to the next city over a few years ago? Whoever sent this envelope obviously wasn't one of my closest friends or family as they all knew my new address.

Inside, there was a Christmas card. Unsigned. And a gift certificate to Bi-Lo...amount not listed. Hmmm. I contemplated who could have sent it. A former student, perhaps? Well, most of them knew where I lived because I usually mentioned it sooner or later in class. WHO??? I still haven't figured it out.

So, going on the theory that it's maybe a student, I figured it was probably a lovely $25 card at most, $10 at least. That was my guess. I finally went to Bi-Lo to use my grocery gift certificate card today and found out the real amount through the customer service desk.

ONE HUNDRED FRICKIN' DOLLARS!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME???

I started to tear up when the lady told me how much it was. I couldn't believe it...and I can't even thank the person who gave it to me because I don't know who sent it. That person will never know that I had a blast using it today. I bought things I usually only buy when they are on sale, or I only purchase if I have coupons. I bought favorite items. I danced down the aisles, dancing and singing to the crap music on the speakers. Who wouldn't? I had a $100 to spend in the grocery!!! ON ANYTHING!!! OOHHHH!

I bought flank steak. I need that to make ropa vieja, and it's not cheap. Yay!

Boneless chicken breasts? Buy one get one free today! I threw in a pack of those!

The kids love those Trix cereal bars for breakfast. They're fast and easy on a school morning. They only get a box when they are on sale, but they weren't on sale today. HEY! I bought them ANYWAY because I could LIVE LARGE! Double yay!

Ariana's been having some headache issues that her doctor has said needed to be solved through ibuprophen. I needed to have an extra bottle to take to school and leave with the nurse so if a headache came there, she'd have the meds. No coupon, no sale, and I just threw it into the cart with wild abandon!

Dancing further, I threw in two yogurts with m&ms in them that the kids adore...some cheese and butter to replenish what I had to throw out over Christmas when the electricity went out...some buy one get one free soups...soda...aw, hell, I was a wild woman. I only needed one paper towel roll and I bought TWO! Periodically I would think about this random person whose name I don't know who was so kind, and I'd grin, then feel like I was about to start crying again because damnit, that was just the nicest thing to do ever. It meant so much to me. WordWhiz is right: we hear all the time in the news about the bad folks out there...but there's tons of good folks too. Including the person who sent me this gift certificate.

Unless you really think there is a Santa Claus?

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It makes me so happy to see you so happy love of my life.
I don't know who this person is, but if they are reading this, thank you very much.

On another level dearest, I am starting to think that presents from William Sonoma and gift vouchers for grocery stores might outweight Victoria's Secret and Wizard of the Coast :D

Je t'aime exactement comme tu es.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so awesome!

I love anonymous gifts, both getting and giving. I'm completely with you on the grocery thing, I got a few gift cards for christmas and was ecstatic, which most people would find weird :) Glad to see others are like me!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

What a fantastic event! And here's the true bonus you were given: Since don't know who gave you that card, you have no choice but to experience a generalized kind of affection for any and all. Congrats.

7:55 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!

Someday, you'll be in a position to "Pay it Forward" and YOU will be Santa!

In the meantime, what a wonderful thing to experience.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Kira, you big dummy -- of course there's a Santa Claus! How do you think your kids' presents got under the tree Christmas morning? :)

7:08 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Santa is real, and he is an agent of Lucifer. Note the red suit, the last name Claus (Claws), the anagram of the first name (Satan), the elfin slave labor, etc. So you owe your happiness to the devil. I'm just saying, so you'll know who to properly thank the next time you're in church or are asked to say grace. :p

7:22 AM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

did u get me any beef jerky kira?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Cookie, google "Osceola Cheese" and order some beef jerky on line. I guarantee you it's the best you've ever had.

KIRA! AWESOME!!! Now I have this mental image of you dancing through the aisles of the supermarket with a Chiquita banana sticker on your nose.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Old Horsetail Snake said...

Aw, gee, what fun for you! (And me, too, because I loved the description of your shopping trip.)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Alex my love--well, darling, Victoria's Secret is the gift for BOTH of us, no? haha! But yes, Williams-Sonoma is my favorite store ;)

MR--I'm a total foodie, so grocery store gift certificates are wonderful. They're practical--we all need to eat--but they are also fun because you don't have to feel guilty about buying something that's not cheap/on sale/you don't have coupons for (well, at least *I* feel some guilt for doing those things as I'm on a budget).

Juanita--well, yes, I suppose it DOES make me have a general feeling of goodwill...but I'd still like to be able to say thank you to the donor and let him or her know how much I enjoyed it!

NWJR--I eagerly look forward to the day that I can pay it forward. Right now, all I can generally do is small things for other people, but one day! One day I shall have money and I shall make sure to do what was done to me!

Joe--you mean that wasn't ME???? Damn. I think I should stop eating the funny mushrooms on Christmas eve as part of my holiday traditions.

Grant--I dunno...the elfin slave labor sounds kinda...sexy ;)

Cookie--what, did you already go through the last batch, dear? haha!

Laura--of course chiquita was involved. It always is in the happiest grocery store occasions!

Hoss--Well, I tell you true: nothing slaps me in a stellar good mood faster than food! haha! I had a blast with this gift card. My parents gave me as part of a Christmas present a $50 card to Publix (my usual grocery store), and I had a lot of fun with that one too. Mostly they handed me that one because I had to empty out my refrigerator due to the loss of electricity in December, so they wanted me to be able to restock...which is what I used it for, largely!

AS--yes. Whoever did it truly has me NOT KNOWING AT ALL. I have no clue. I stared at the handwriting on the envelope for a long time, and I do not recognize it at all!

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home