My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Merry Christmas Everybody!

We're up here in Raleigh now at my brother's house. My dad, consumate Notre Dame fan that he is, has cornered Alex and forced him to watch RUDY. Children are all excited about tomorrow. I'm just worried that UPS is delivering packages to me and then shipping them back because I'm gone for two weeks....Sigh.

I almost was cornered into horridly inconveniencing Angie to take care of my cat during our trip. At first, I felt bad for asking but not TOO bad because what I was suggesting was that I bring my cat to their house so they could look out after him while we were gone, then I'd pick him up when I was back in town. Angie insisted to me that one of her cats would basically eat poor Chian, so she would drive over and take care of Chian at my apartment instead. You have to understand: it's far. This is not Angie offering to drive a few min to my place. Her vacation would have been taking care of my cat. The ex didn't want to take care of Chian because he decided that he didn't want the "restriction on my freedom". He had NO plans to go anywhere; he just wanted the opportunity to up and leave and not worry about the responsibility of the cat. Amanda can't take care of Chian because Riley thinks Cat is tasty, too. So, I panicked. Fortunately, I found an alternative! I used to be a professional pet sitter throughout graduate school (it's how I paid the bills), and I worked for a woman named Barbara. Barbara since sold the business, but we remained pretty good friends. She lives within minutes of Alex's place, so all I had to do was take Chian with us when we went to Columbia, and then she could sit for him at Alex's place. Yay! I had to pretty much take Chian with us anyway...can't let him stay in a place with no electricity. So, she's taking care of Chian now and I have no worries. He'll be spoiled rotten by Barbara...the woman chose to not have children and have pets instead.

In fact, when I went over to see Barbara, I had both my children carry in a bottle of Chardonnay (her favorite grape varietal wine) when they greeted her. She's one of those people who doesn't know what to do with children, so I figured this would help. As they each brought her the bottle, I remarked dryly, "I figured you'd find children bearing alcohol much more tolerable than children NOT bearing alcohol!" She laughed.

I'd better head back to the family now. I think Rudy is just about over!

Hope you guys all have a great holiday weekend! Take care!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Rudy wasn't so bad :)
I enjoyed the part where you came in and snuggled up to me best dearest.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

You and Alex should get a room... wait, you already did. Ok, well then maybe your kids can bring me wine! Me me me! Christmas is all about me! Festivus too! :)

Have a good time. Come visit me. Me! ;)

1:52 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

merry xmas kira!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Merry Christmas!! Riley tried to eat a six week old Weimaraner at my grandma's house today. You'd think I don't feed the big mutt.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Have a wonderful holiday. I hope your brother offers Alex a respectable TV for Christmas! ;)

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home