My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Oh Yeah Baby, I'm Done!

I just entered my last class' grades into the computer. Oh yeah! Now my Christmas break begins!

This semester had one week towards the end wherein I had no sleep because I was trying to furiously hand back papers to the kids before exams. That week, week and a half was rough. It also coincided around my daughter's 8th birthday, so that made it a bit worse. We did the Crap Mom technique of parenting the Sunday after her birthday: "here's your new game for the gamecube! have fun!" I think I let her and her brother play for like 6 hrs of gametime. Yikes. I never let them play that long, but honestly, I just needed them entertained so I could grade...and it really DID help. I tried to rationalize it as, "this is the post-birthday party fun of playing with new toys. It's ok." She didn't die, turn violent, or become a zombie as a result so I guess I'm in the clear.

After exams, however, I found that getting a grip on grading wasn't so bad. I had two classes (Eng 155) wherein the final is a group presentation that I practically grade entirely while they give it. I just need to check the works cited page, the computer printouts, and the individual evaluations afterwards, and then I am done! So, there were really just three classes to grade and get into the computer, then. Yay! It was not so stressful. And now it's done...

I had one puzzle to sort through. I usually try to not make exceptions to certain rules. One of these rules is that if you miss a group project or peer grading day, there is NO way to make up for it. Both of those events involve others, and there is only a certain time set aside for it. I have, in the past, allowed those students who can provide an actual medical note from their doctor or the hospital to make up exams they might have missed due to extreme illness, but that's it.

Well, I had two fantastic students in my English Literature I class. One of them missed only ONE class. He missed the day of the group project. He DID all the work for it...I know it because I saw him assembling it one day after class. He has no health insurance (like me) so he didn't go to the doctor. He couldn't even move as he was violently ill...with the very same illness I had a few days prior, and I KNOW that if he had my illness, he legitimately could not move. Guys, I never get knocked down by an illness. I'm used to being sick. This one sent me sprawling for two days, and without Alex's help I'm not sure how I could have taken care of the kids too. So...I KNOW he's not lying to me. I just know it. He's a great student and does ALL the reading. He had solid A's on ALL of the other assignments, further proving his knowledge on the topic. I told him after the exam day that I couldn't stand that he'd now end up with a B for class because he missed the group project day. He ended up reassuring ME that it was fine, he understood when he missed it that he would get his zero, and he was ok with that consequence.

I wavered the whole way this am before I entered in his grade. The B does not reflect the knowledge he has gleaned from this class. He did all the reading, participated avidly, and always, ALWAYS was enthusiastic about every class. I know life isn't fair. I know that shit happens. But it seemed just...wrong...to leave his grade at a B when I knew the level of knowledge and his level of skill he carried away was that of an A student.

So, I bent the rules. I just couldn't live with myself any other way. I did his final grades out of 900 points instead of 1000 points (that is, I just didn't count the group project into his final grades), and so he received his A. Will I ever bend the rules like this again? Only if I have an A student who has the same thing happen to him. I was told long ago that we MUST keep EVERYTHING equal as a teacher...what you do for one, you have to do for them all. Well, fine then. I will ALWAYS do this for A students in this exact same situation. It just...well, I feel better about this choice. I really do. So that's that.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am proud of you dearest :)
Remember, if you continue to bend rules, I will declare you French ;)

You did the right choice and I will kill anyone who complaines *Kiss*.

7:39 AM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

dont declare her french! whatever did she do to deseve that? ;)

7:52 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

If you hadn't bent the rules, I would have asked you to. In my view (which is all that counts), you did exactly the right thing.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I agree! Rules are meant to be bent or broken...in certain cases. Remind me to tell you my bent rule story...it's ironic to say the least.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a caramel apple cheesecake :) When should I expect you??

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

You did a nice thing - and good for that student. Sometimes it's okay to bend rules when they are stupid.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I would have done the exact same thing, especially because he didn't fight for the A and just accepted responsbility, that alone makes what you did right.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

I had an English professor in college who was a total hardass. He ripped all of my work to shreds. I went into the exam with barely a B-.

A week later, I was shocked to receive an A for the class on my report card. When I ran into the professor in the hall the next semester, he said: "Miss Glenn, Your exam was the best exam that I've ever had a student write for me. You worked extremely hard and wrote a brilliant exam, so you deserved that A, regardless of your previous work."

And yes, twenty years later, I remember every word he said. What I learned from him was how to be a better writer, but also, how to be flexible and supportive when appropriate.

5:47 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Hoss said it already - you did exactly the right thing. Sometimes you HAVE to break the rules. EXCEPTIONS DO exist. That's why the word exists.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

YEAH FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK!!! Enjoy it! I'll be right there with you in a week and two days.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

What you did was a very nice thing and, as such, I won't hit you up for too much blackmail money.

I am reminded of a quote from (I think) Thomas Jefferson - "There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people."

Note - I prefer cash. :p

7:19 AM  
Blogger Ailyn said...

woohoo!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Thanks, everybody! It's good to hear that so many of you would have done the same thing. I "felt" like I was taking the right approach, but it always helps to hear others say it too.

Oh, and Amanda, if there's any cheesecake left, I'm there ;)

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home