My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, December 05, 2005

It's 3a and I'm Grading

I have a batch of research papers I want done by morning at a minimum, plus about 9 other 3 page papers I need graded. If I can do at least that, I'm ok.

Want to see what I get to read?

"Researchers are not sure what causes Alzheimer's disease, but they say the outcome is grime." You know, that must mean that my ex has Alzheimer's. If you saw his house, you'd understand what I meant.

"When a person is drunk, they are more likely to lack inhabitation and care less about the consequences of their actions." This sentence displays one of the most common errors my students make...'a person' is singular, and 'they' is plural. Pick one, guys, and be consistent! Now, I can surely understand that a drunk person might lack a place to live, so on some level that makes sense even though I'm pretty sure he meant 'inhibitions'. The last part of the sentence reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. No, this writer doesn't commit the error, but I'd like to share with you my irritation anyway! Let me explain!

"I couldn't care less." This phrase is correct. You cannot possibly care less. Your caring is out the window. You don't give a shit.

"I could care less." Well, if you COULD care less, then buddy, let me tell you, this issue must concern you on some level.

Ok, so that's what I'm doing. Isn't that what YOU would love to be doing at 3a?

*******************

Other fun! Ariana had her 8th birthday party at Chuck E Cheese's on Saturday night. She had a lot of fun despite the fact that her daddy arrived late and intoxicated. Yes, that was joyful, for my ex to reek of rum and coke and obviously have his thought process muddled at his daughter's 8th birthday party. Who needs to hire a clown when I have my ex for free????

Thank you, divine powers, for giving me Alex. Thank you for my daughter realizing he's a better role model. I found a notebook the other day with scribblings on it by my daughter about a boy named Matthew she has a crush on. Matthew is a sweetheart. He's not attractive physically at all (not that I usually rate 8 yr olds, but you understand...), but internally the man is the second grade Orlando Bloom. He's just the nicest boy. She had written on this notebook, "I like Matthew! Matthew is like Alex! He is very nice! He reads to me when he doesn't have to because I can read! I love Matthew!" I should have saved that paper for Alex, actually, as he'd have gotten a kick out of it...

Last issue before I go grade:

When somebody invites your child to a DAMN PARTY, and somebody puts on the invitation PLEASE RSVP and gives you not only a phone number but an email address, well, you are a RUDE FUCKING BASTARD if you do not respond on some level. I couldn't figure out for the LIFE of me who was coming and who was not for Ariana's birthday party until half an hour into it. Bastards! Were you raised amongst farm animals? Where's your manners?

7 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Sweetie, you're in South Carolina...RSVP doesn't mean shit to them. That's that fancy stuff the rich people put on their invitations...you're such a snob, Kira! LOL

As for drunks lacking inhabitation, that's wrong for other reasons. We all know that real drunks live with their moms!

"In today's society, night is the flipside of day." LOL - I still love that one!

5:33 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

No one seems to know what RSVP means any more. I get invitations with RSVP on them, and when I respond to say I'm not coming, I get treated with this confused "why did you tell me this?" attitude. "Ordinary fucking people. I hate them." :)

5:36 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

One of my friends invited his neighbor's children to his kid's birthday party, but didn't get the RSVP the way he planned it. His neighbor is an extreme Southern Baptist preacher, one who lords it over a congregation that can spend hours in church building themselves into a frenzy, and although he maintains contact with my friend he forbade his children from attending due to the Satanic invitation they received. "It had a picture of a devil on it," his children later said (imagine that in a very Southern accent). The card they sent had WB's Tasmanian devil on the cover.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

SC--That's in a whole different category I think...the rich often think they don't have to do those sorts of things because they are above it. In America, money already talks very loudly, so folks who have money think that the money can talk for them and they don't need to do many things.

Amanda--yeah, I'm a snob! LOL Maybe I should translate like I did for that one fellow..."Call me and tell me if you are coming." No wait, it's Southern..."Give me a hollar an' let me know if youse a comin'". There. THEN they'll get it, right?

Joe--ok, now THAT is funny...people put RSVP on there and then they don't even know what it means?

Grant--LMAO! Oh that Taz! He's satan's own minion for sure!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

"As for drunks lacking inhabitation, that's wrong for other reasons. We all know that real drunks live with their moms"!

I laughed so hard at that one I almost blew snot all over my desk.

Nobody RSVPs anymore. Stinks.

10:51 AM  
Blogger GM said...

Hey, weasels always RSVP... Admittedly, they only get rated as farm animals if you count eating hens 'n things. It's rumored sheep also hold to the arcane art of the RSVP, though.

10:40 AM  
Blogger April said...

Apparently RSVP doesn't mean shit in Virginia either. In an opposite situation, yet similar, my poor little sister had 12 girls RSVP to her slumber party. Only 2 showed up. How shitty is that? Not to mention that NONE of the other 10 parents had the courtesy to call and say they weren't able to make it after all. How rude!! For our wedding we had roughly 125 people RSVP, yet 200 or so people showed up. I knew that would happen, so I made sure I ordered enough food to feed 225.

I think it's sweet that Ari has a very nice little boy for her crush. Ethan has had the same girlfriend now since last school year. She made him 3 different cards for Valentine's Day last year. Her name is Kayme, which is a different name, but fits her well.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home