My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Oedipus Complex

My son, like many boys, has a special relationship with his mother. Jared adores me. Life revolves around ME (smart boy!). When irritated with life, he tells everybody,"I hate you. But I love mommy." I remain the only person he hasn't told off ever for any reason. Common phrases from my son are: "Only mommy can do that right!", "Mommy is beautiful!", "I love you and I like you mommy!", and "Don't do that...I only want my MOMMY to do that..."

Jared was not even out of my belly when the issues with my ex husband blew up in a spectacular manner. By the time he came out into this world, the situation with my ex was so disasterous that Jared truly never saw us being romantic, kind, nice, or happy with each other. The best he saw was the days we tolerated each other. Jared was not used to sharing the Most Precious Mommy when Alex came along...and as much as he loves Alex, some days he definitely is not sure about this Alex touching Mommy thing.

Today, Alex and I were smooching while Ariana was in the shower. Jared didn't like it, so he came over and inserted himself with a leap between us and, hence, between our lips. I laughed; Alex laughed. I whispered to Alex, "Somebody's jealous!" Sure enough, Jared announced that there was to be no kissing. "Nobody kisses my mommy except ME!" he exclaimed firmly. I laughed some more. Alex announced that the reason why Jared was feeling that way was that he WANTED and NEEDED tons of kisses himself. Agreeing, I kissed one side of his head while Alex kissed the other repeatedly. Jared grumbled about that and said, "NO! I don't want kisses from anybody ever except MY MOMMY!" Grinning, I asked him how this could be when I know his sister kissed on him all the time and he seemed to enjoy that.

Here was his reply (and NO I am NOT shitting you here):

"But Mommy, when I kiss her, I am thinking of you!"

Oh yeah. Not only does my son have the most spectacular Oedipus Complex ever but he also is well-prepared for manhood!

8 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

This is a riot.

I wonder if crocodiles ever say, "I'm too tired to think of anybody."

3:20 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Aww - this obsession will transfer is about eleven more years, right?? LOL

5:22 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

My nephew, when asked why his uncle Bob wasn't married, replied, "because Mom is already married".

Mom is beautiful. The rest of us pale in comparison.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

Just don't die. I could see a whole Bates-ish thing going on if that happenend ;O)

2:03 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

O boys. My four-year-old son is similar. In fact, I call him Eddie, Jr. (Oedipus, Jr.). I've had to start wearing pajamas because he would get in bed with us in the morning and start running his little hands up and down my naked body, moaning, "Oh Mommy, you're soooo soft."

Supposedly, one day, they'll get a real girlfriend, and we'll be left in the dust.

5:29 PM  
Blogger April said...

I LOVE IT!!!!! How absolutely adorable. I can see is little pouting lips and eyebrows crinkle when he told Alex that no one will kiss him but you.

I think one of the best things about having boys who are all about their Mom's is that one day they will grow up and treat the "other" women in their lives right.

So cheese hats and chiquita banana stickers at the wedding?? Sounds good so far!! =)

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

Aww - that's one of those "kids say the darndest things" moments.

8:54 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Smart boy!!

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home