My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Friday, December 09, 2005

Little glass bottles

When I was little, soda was a big treat. We were allowed to have a glass on special occasions or for straight A report cards. That was it.

I always remember the glass bottles. Generally, we bought the 1 ltr bigger glass bottles of soda, and sometimes we bought the smaller bottles as well. There was a certain freshness and flavor that coke and pepsi had out of glass bottles that it has never retained out of cans or plastic. I can drink my weight in soda if it is coming out of glass bottles.

Eventually, though, we went to plastic bottles for the most part, and plastic little bottles or cans for individual servings. You CAN get the glass bottles, but they are just way more expensive. Hence, they are not worth it for everyday use for a woman who has to watch every penny (teacher with two kids; ex is unemployed...do I need to say more?). Alex told me that in France, if one orders a coke at a bar, one always gets the glass bottle. He then stated that since here in bars, the bartender always hands you a can or a fountain coke, he never wants to get a coke. Same for restaurants. He said, "If I'm paying THAT much for a coke, I want it in glass!" The glass bottles are very prevalent over in France. They are a little pricier than the other ways of purchasing coke, but not as much more as here. When I was in France, he splurged on glass bottles for me the whole time I was there...and informed his siblings that if they touched "Kira's Cokes" they were to die...haha!

Am I the only one who misses those little glass bottles? I just wish they weren't between $4.50 and $5 for 6 tiny glass bottles now (and only in some stores...others don't carry the glass bottles). The taste is SO different! Sigh. Nostalgia...

What made me think of this whole issue? Well, after driving two hours to be in Columbia with Alex--poor guy has volunteered to help me finish up my grading--I came in to find a surprise. Now, usually Alex will purchase roses or some godiva chocolate for me as a surprise. Once in a while he gets something different, but it's a rare day I don't walk into his apartment and find candles burning, incense lit, a surprise, and a bottle of massage oil in his hands. God I love that man.

This time, he bought the little glass bottles of coke. I was very touched because he always keeps track of the minor things in life like what I really appreciate but don't get very often. I feel so damn spoiled! And you know what? I LOVE IT!

6 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

My great-grandparents *always* had the glass bottles. Glass bottle cokes and doritos were my favorite snack when I stayed with them.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

My mom makes this "wine cherry jello" for Thanksgiving that has coke in it. I remember the glass bottles from childhood. They did taste different. Better.

1:15 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, yeah, but don't forget: YOU DESERVE GOOD THINGS on accounta you're a good thing.

3:46 PM  
Blogger April said...

I do like the taste of coke in a glass bottle better than can or plastic, but my most favorite is fountain. There's something about a fountain Coke that makes it better than the others, in my opinion.

As for Alex, you've now given reason #5489 why he needs to be cloned!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You better snatch that man before he gets away or some other woman trips him up.....

I remember the cokes in glass bottles. You could buy a 12 pack, pay your deposit and return them when you were done. We made sure we saved the carton that they came in for convience in taking them back to the store. As kids we used to look for glass bottles thrown in the grass field up on the corner of our street.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

AS--detail oriented men rock! When a guy pays attention to the small things, I feel like he not only cares about me but he listens to me when I babble about silly things. Boy, that is a great feeling.

Amanda--everything tastes better with the glass bottle cokes, doritoes included. I used to love to dip doritoes into sour cream....mmmm (I love my dairy!)

Laura--wine cherry jello? that has coke in it? is the coke the substitute wine? haha!

Hoss--awwww thanks! It still is rough getting used to it. I've never really been treated so nicely in a long-term relationship before in my life. I mean, it's a GOOD rough getting used to it, but...hmmm...how does one explain that it feels strange to be loved totally and completely in a relationship when that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be? Ah, well, never mind. I'm glad you think I deserve it ;)

Angie--hmmm but then I'd have to LIKE Dr. Pepper first to really enjoy that, eh? Still, I can bet that it tastes better if it's like the coke issue. Do they still make the Dr. P in glass? I only see the little glass coke bottles if I'm lucky.

April--yes, I just am not the scientist I need to be to get that cloning process in order fast enough! haha! I only like fountain cokes if they are well mixed. Some places have a wrong ratio of syrup to soda and that tastes like ca ca. Sometimes they nail it head on and I'm in bliss. I like the glass bottles because it's perfect every time.

Lucy S--I'm trying to snatch that man! Trust me! haha! We used to save bottles too, in the cartons or loose if they were the bigger bottles. It always intrigued me that my mom was obsessive about coupons, saving things with a deposit, buying on sale...when we were very well off when I was a child. But you know what? If my mom and dad weren't like that, when my dad had his stroke unexpectedly early and he no longer could practice orthodontics, we weren't broke. They had saved up enough and invested wisely, so even though my dad never was able to practice again, we survived. I'd save those glass bottles if we had a deposit on them these days, but there's not unless you're in MI (10 cents) or DEL (5 cents). Oh well. I was kind of hoping I could get some change back from these suckers!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home