My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, December 19, 2005

The Horror, The Horror

Yes, there has never been a title more fitting.

Where has Kira gone, you ask? Let me tell you!

Wednesday was Jared's birthday. The day passed nicely, and we all had cake. I tucked the kids into bed. At 10p, I heard Ariana retching in her room. She had vomited all over her bed. I cleaned it up and stripped the sheets, but determined I'd wash them the next day (note to self...always wash puke sheets immediately while you still have electricity). I threw her into my bed and, seeing as how I was exhausted too, I went to bed early.

At 3a on Thursday, I ran to the bathroom and puked my guts out too. Well, why should Ariana have all the fun?

At 6a, the electricity flickered...I remembered the predicted ice storm, and I went "Oh shit..." After peeking out the window and seeing tons of ice hanging from everything, I sighed. And then...snap! There went the electricity.

The irony to me is that I had JUST made a comment on Laura's blog not too long ago about how having no heat is a big deal to me. I have a circulation disorder called
Raynaud's disease in which my fingers, toes, and other extremities turn blue long before a normal person's would when exposed to colder weather. Also, I was raised in Florida. I have NO...stress NO...tolerance to cold. When I picked out colleges to go to in the US, I determined the BEST college in the SOUTH because I knew I couldn't leave the warmer areas of the country. One of my teachers pushed me towards Yale, and all I could do was respond, "But it's damn cold there!" And then I found out that Duke had the number two English program in the country that year anyway, so my fate was sealed. I knew I couldn't handle it at most good universities because of the climate. I'd never go to class in the winter. I FEAR the cold. It causes me great discomfort, and having the electricity go off in freezing weather was so horrific to me that I can't even describe it. Then there's the puke...and no way to wash it or ourselves. Two small children. Nowhere to go.

I would have thrown the kids in the car and headed down to Columbia by that evening if Alex had been there. He was not. He was on a business trip to Richmond with several members of his office, and he was not due back until Friday night. My ex had no electricity either. I think my ex's behavior freaked me out on Thursday and Friday because the Old Rob was there...the guy I married. He was concerned about us and the kids and he drove all the way to our apartment through fallen powerlines and trees just to check on us. He fed the kids cold food and made them wear their socks. He loaded up several blankets on me, and he even took my snappish behavior in stride. For instance, one of the blankets he put on me was a huge wild cat blanket that he recognized. He grinned and said, nice blanket! Somebody fantastic must have given it to you! Well, he had given that one to me for my birthday one year before the kids were born. Instead of being nice about it, I just looked up at him and snapped, "Yeah, that was back in the days when you were a great human being!" He was surprised, but then he just laughed. After tending to us for a few hours, he went back to his own freezing place. On Friday, he did the same: stopped by and then took the kids for a long drive in a heated car to a McDonald's that had electricity, letting them eat hot food, then bringing some back for me too. He had demanded I come too at first because he was worried about my blue fingers and pale skin, but I wouldn't do it. I had to pack up bags and throw out hundreds of dollars of food from the refrigerator before we took off to Columbia instead. Sigh. I should have just taken the damn food out and put it in my 45 degree living room...

Alex told us he'd be back by 7p on Friday, so at 710p there we were, sad, smelly, and cold. My ex was supposed to take the kids this weekend so Alex and I could go to this work party he had on Saturday night, but obviously we weren't going to let the kids stay in no electricity any longer. Hence, he was very gracious about the fact that he wouldn't get to see them for a while now since I was taking them earlier. I could tell he actually didn't LIKE missing them, but it was for their best. (Note: why was the ex so together and nice and all? I can tell you why. He had been very, very sick and he never drinks when sick. He's been stone cold sober for two weeks. I wish he'd stop drinking entirely...he'd be SUCH a good daddy and better off if he did....sigh).

On Saturday, I thought we'd have to miss the work party because we had the kids. Alex's boss hired out a family friend/teen to sit for the kids so we could go! What a nice guy. The kids had never been babysat by a babysitter before (just family), and they took it very well. They had a great time. But then Saturday we had to fight crowds so I could purchase a dress and shoes since I hadn't brought them with me...I mean, I didn't think I'd need them since I'd not be able to go to the party. I found an $80 dress reduced to $20 (and then Alex sneakily paid for it for me, the devil!), and a pair of shoes on sale. We had a nice time Saturday night.

The finale to it all? Jared now puked up last night in his sleep. Sigh. He puked and he didn't even wake up while puking, so he was really a mess when he woke up. I'm washing sheets now. Yay!

This must mean Christmas will be great. After all, we've gotten a hell of a lot of crap out of the way, right?

10 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Damn! You should have the best Christmas ever after all of this.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Oh my God! The HORROR is RIGHT!

Is that bug so contagious that you can get it simply by READING a blog? We had the pukes rip through our house and it was a horrific experience WITH electricity. I can't imagine what you went through!!!

You'd think that someone would see that they're physically capable of staying sober for two weeks in a row and then see the kind of efficiency they could achieve...and...well...oh never mind. Here's hoping the best!

Hope you're good and warm now.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. :p You may want to consider keeping a few cans of Sterno in the house. They're good for warmth and emergency cooking.

I'm the opposite for temperature extremes. Last night I had to quit writing because I was too hot to concentrate. I opened the windows in my apartment until the temperature dropped to a comfortable 50. People around here freak out when then see me wearing shorts in freezing weather.

10:45 AM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

now u see, i read that puking post just as i was eating me angel delight.... thanks for that!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

Oh my God! That is HORRIBLE! I hope every one is on the mend.

I know what you mean about the cold. I grew up in North East Texas (Piney Woods). It is on the same latitude with Dallas. Now after spending the last 15 years in Houston and Huntsville Texas I can't tolerate the Dallas winters any more. That is just tooooooo much.

It's all good though. One day I'll move to St. Somewhere and die a warm old beach bum.

4:22 PM  
Blogger April said...

Knock on wood that the pukes don't find their way to my house. Considering Ethan is surrounded by 20 other kids and several billion germs each day, I'm going to need all the wood in the world to knock on.

I hope you and your babies are feeling better for Santa! =)

As you know, I too grew up in Florida. COLD WEATHER FUCKING SUCKS DONKEY DICK! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, OH and did I tell you I hate it?

Did you find a nice blue dress do match your blue fingers? Hee hee.

It's great that Rob can actually show you and the kids (every now and then) what a REAL man (ALEX) is supposed to be like.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Well, at least you didn't catch bubonic plague while Rob threw up bloody alcoholic vomit on you. ;)

A friend of mine has just agreed to host a New Year's Eve party, but posted a list of rules. Rule #1 is "No barfing." Apparently that means no barfing in the house, though. And she did allow to me privately that yes, it would mean that we'd really bonded when we did in fact barf at each others houses.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry I couldn't have helped more dearest. It was unlucky that it occured on the same week as my trip :s
Glad I have so far escaped the puking disease though. *Cross fingers*
I'd hate for it to happen as we drive to your brother's house.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--I'm counting on it!

Angie--I'm glad you didn't lose electricity. If I knew that, I probably would have shown up with two kids and a cat and begged for warmth on Thur night...haha!

Laura--I just think it's the season for bad colds, flu, and vomit. And yes, I wish he'd see how together he was and LIKE that state of being, then keep it, but hey...I'm not holding my breath.

AS--oh goodness. Can we skip the sinus infection part? brrr...I had a sinus infection once that made my whole jaw ache and my head feel like it was going to explode.

Grant--I had sterno. I just couldn't FIND the fucking sterno. Grrrr... And you sound like my brother as far as temps go. All the women in my family have the circulatory disease, so we're all wimps with the cold. My brother Mark, however, went to college in Colorado and now lives in Canada. He's running around in shorts and a tshirt in 50 degree weather too.

Cookie--should I have put up a warning at the front? Don't read while eating? LOL sorry, dear ;)

Greg--I spent 17 years near the beach and in Florida, and I thought about how great it would be to move away. Now, if the hurricanes didn't bother me, I'd move back now if I had a chance...oh well!

April--I'm surprised you haven't been hit by a plague yet myself. Does this mean that Ethan has a fantastic immunity system? Hmmmm...another reason to marry them off. That'd improve the gene pool to get some decent resistance to plagues into my bloodline! haha!

Joe--ok, good point. And does this mean in order to bond, I should barf at your house when I'm there next? :)

Alex--it's ok dear, you've been pampering us like crazy since we got here! we're happy!

SC--LOL you are an awful man :) Unfortunately, you're probably right...that'll be how it works. He'll say hi to my brother and then vomit on him :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Yeah, Kira, do that when you come again in like 20 years. ;-P

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home