My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, December 12, 2005

Two Final Mistakes in Papers

And to celebrate this now Christmas/Yule/Holiday break, I present to you the two winners of the 2005 Exam Week student writing blunders!

The first winner was writing an essay on her boyfriend. In it, she described him as a sole mate. I always figured that a sole mate would be a real heel...badump bum! I like that way of putting it. I bet you anything that two, three years down the road she'll look at that freudian slip and realize the truth of it!

The second winner was writing about Queen Elizabeth I and some of the protestant/catholic issues that went off during her reign. She described it as the "Elizabethan Error". I'm pretty sure she meant Elizabethan Era, but hey, maybe she REALLY didn't like Elizabeth...

Ahhh it's so nice to not have to grade papers or get up for work! *scratches self in inappropriate places and grabs a beer* :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I've had a couple of sole mates. I love students! (But not that way anymore....)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Perhaps she meant he was her fish mate, which would be a play off the English term "fishwife" meaning he is crude and vulgar. If so, you missed the play on words and owe her an apology and an A.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--we've all had sole mates, I believe! And LOL...oh come on, you would love certain students that way if you had the chance...don't lie to us now ;)

Grant--you are right that your interpretation is a possibility. However, in your version, some magical lightning strike from Zeus shoots down from the sky, gifting this girl with about 122 more IQ points than she currently possesses. Since there have been no thunderstorms up here in the last few weeks (rain, but no lightning), I'm forced to conclude that your version can't have taken place.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Ailyn said...

maybe they have the same shoe size and share...?

2:40 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

My ex husband used to talk about the Reagan error. (He had some qualities!).

4:53 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

dont you have alex to scratch u in different places? ;)

5:38 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I wish I got a few weeks off for the holidays! I could use 'em!!

Great stuff! I bet you could practically blog entirely on the unintentionally funny stuff your students write!

3:20 AM  
Blogger April said...

Ohhhhhh, I wanna be scratched in funky places too. Don't be greedy with the scratching, man. You can keep the beer, I'll bring my own beverage. His name is Jose Cuervo and he makes my clotes fall off. That way it'll be easier for you to scratch me!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

I knew some fourth graders who were writing about the signing of the Constitution. They kept mentioning the "delicates."

4:55 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Ailyn--ahhh yes, the other way of interpreting the sole part...that could work ;)

Laura--depending on your political persuasion, that could be totally appropriate too!

Cookie--Alex massages more than scratches, but he scratches if I want him to.

Angie--well, you have to admit that's an important quality to have in a customer...haha!

Mandy--yeah, I really could do that. My students are a riot, both intentionally and unintentionally.

SC--you could be one of my students...

April--oh man, can I scratch your great T and A baby? :) You sure you don't want the beer? It's the Seadog Bluepaw Wild Wheat Blueberry Ale, and you can ask Amanda and Angie...it rocks! Still, if tequila's the best way to get ya nude, I'll settle for that.

EM--LOL! Ok, you know what? That word works, actually...

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home