My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, January 02, 2006

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Ok, so one week later...I know you are all wondering how Ariana is doing. So am I. See, the problem is that my daughter has two modes when sick: I'm acting as if fine, just like feral cats do in the wild, so that my predator will not sense I am weak; and, I am about to die. She had a check up at the pediatrician's, and she was acting GREAT. She was chasing her cousin Adam around the house, giggling, going full blast. We were having a problem getting her to rest. The doctor then checks her blood oxygen level and freaks out. They gave her two intense breathing treatments, one which included high powered steroids, and then they tested her blood oxygen level again.

What made me laugh despite it all was the pediatrician just...folded her hand underneath her chin and stared at my daughter bouncing happily on the examination table, babbling at us excitedly about this and that. She sighed. "I don't know what to do with this child," she mumbled to us. "I just don't know. Usually I'd immediately state that a child with the values she is spitting out to us would HAVE to go into the hospital. She SHOULD be curled up and miserable. But LOOK at her!" Yes, well, welcome to my daughter's world. She just doesn't complain unless it's a problem. She just doesn't complain until it's nearly too late.

So, the doctor decided to do one last ditch effort at keeping her at home by giving her more steroids and upped breathing treatments at home (we own a nebulizer due to Ari's asthma, so that was easily done). I thought that'd be that.

But poor dear...that was NOT it. The steroid overdose the doctor decided to give her triggered a migraine. My poor 8 yr old daughter got to vomit, whimper in pain that her head was about to explode, have light sensitivity, have smell sensitivity, and then as the migraine peaked...whimpered loudly that no one and nothing could touch her because it all hurt. It killed me to see her like that (but on the other hand, I was SO glad I got to go through all of this rather than her father...her father wouldn't have known what to do). I am scared that her propensity to react to the medicine with a migraine bodes ill for her future. My sister gets migraines. My mother gets them, my father gets them...and so do I. Damn. I am fearing that she will eventually get the family curse too.

The doctor cut back the steroid and spaced the frequency of the dosage. That helped, and for all we can tell, she's all better. But how does one tell with Ariana? I suppose I should try to get her into her regular pediatrician just to check this week because she's due to go to her dad's, and I'd just feel more comfortable if I knew she was completely in the clear!

We're in Columbia now. We just headed back today. Tomorrow we're back at the apartment, and I hope the damn electricity is back on by now...haha! Not looking forward to a (by now I'm sure) stinky sink full of dishes I couldn't wash before I left...

****

So, I was able to go to The Gathering, a collection of my high school buddies that happens once per year. No, I have not been able to go for a few years, so it was important for me to make it this time. I was wavering about disappearing Saturday night just because Ari's been so sick, but my brother shooed me off, and so Alex and I departed! The rest of my gang met Alex, and they all seemed to love him. He SO fits in with my geek friends. I drank a bit much Saturday night...not enough for a hangover, but enough that I was fighting the urge to crawl into the laps of some of my friends whom I have not seen in years...haha! Man, that was great. I sometimes think that I may be poor as shit, but I am soooo damn lucky to have the friends I do. My goodness...I am still friends with my entire circle of closest friends from high school! And college! And now I have Amanda and Angie, plus Shana, whom I can rely on for laughter, bitching, and a shoulder whenever I need it these days, right there near me for my convenience. Damn! And my family loves me too! And I have made so many new blog friends this last year! I'll stick with being poor if it means I get to have these people around me.

*****

Speaking of poor, Ari's asthma episode will have cost me 900 dollars plus the unknown lab and xray costs (they get mailed this month...yay!). Fortunately, though, I only had to pay for 100 dollars worth of meds so far...the other 800 was covered by my dad and mom and my brother Ken. See? Family who takes care of me! Well, and my bro spoiled his niece rotten when she was so sick. He gave her a gameboy (she's always wanted one) so she'd sit still. I will get Ariana's daddy to pay for the xrays and lab work since my family unit covered 900 dollars so far, so I think I escaped this nightmare with just a hundred dollars gone. I'm soooo lucky.

*****

Alex purchased as part of my Christmas present one of the finest wines I've had in years. It's a Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Vieux Telegraphe, 2003. It's a liquid orgasm, folks, if you like red wine...I swear!

*****

Barbara, my dear friend from Columbia who took care of my cat over Christmas, is a hoot. She's like me: compulsive "helper." We came home and she changed a lightbulb in the spare bedroom; cleaned a window inside and out so Chian could "look outside clearly"; oiled up the deadbolt, other lock, and outside lock so they'd be easier to use; and--oh, this one is the BEST!--REPAINTED the number 315 on Alex's parking spot because she thought it was too faint. Haha! She also left Chian some Christmas presents. I had warned Alex that if we did anything foolish like left dishes in the sink or laundry in the basket, she'd do it, so we made sure we did it all. However, that did not also stop her from making the bed. Oh man, I love this woman.

*****

The last thing I would like to mention is that I am SO TERRIFICALLY EXCITED AND THRILLED for A* and Hof!!!! Hof popped the question to A* over Christmas, and I'm so thrilled as they seem as happy and in love with each other as Alex and I are with each other. I thought for sure Hof wouldn't wait past early spring to do it and was mentally taking bets, but he surprised me by doing it this past December. I've had the priviledge of talking to A* via (insanely long, book-like) emails, and I've been able to see the marvelous woman she is. Hof is smart enough to recognize it...pretty rare for a Tarhole (don't hit me Hof...haha!). No, seriously, I love Hof. He's my second favorite Tarhole, actually. Yes, I am a Dookie who commits the ultimate sin of Tarheel lovin'...one of my best friends, Trish, received her master's degree from there. Oh, and The High Druid who comments here? One credit shy of being a Tarheel graduate too. So, actually, I am aware that there are cool UNCers out there, and Hof is one of them. They are a couple who know how lucky each other are to snag such a wonderful person...and I think that's the key to making it. They'll never take the other for granted. Perfect. I look forward to them blogging about their 40th wedding anniversary one day!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's doing better! Watch her with colds from now on - it's easy to get pneumonia again if you get it.

Also, glad you're almost back... We've missed ya!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I'm glad to hear Ari is better. She's too sweet to be sick. And I'm glad you're back. When's lunch?

6:14 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Children sound like an expensive pain. I'm glad I stuck with a puppy. :p

Years later when she's in her teens and claims you don't really care about her, make her sit in a corner and read this post.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I'm glad that Ariana is feeling better! You were right to make sure she as A-OK before sending her off to dad's!!! You do know that all of those medical expenses are tax deductible, right? Save your receipts!!!

Grant really wants children, and lots of them...I can tell.

6:53 AM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

so glad ari is feeling better!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Phew! What a relief to hear that she is doing better. I can't imagine how tough it must be to be a parent. I think I would be scared all of the time! And as a fellow migraine sufferer, my heart goes out to her if she has to join our league. Ugh.

Happy New Year Kira! I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog!

6:38 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

My goodness: 5 b**gs in one. Most people would save some of this and use it over the course of a week. But I guess you Dookies got lots to say....

Thanks for the updates, Kira. (I used to have cluster headaches, which are cousin to migraine; found that straight oxygen would cut the length of time I suffered to about half.)

7:49 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the holidays, despite all the trauma, and that your daughter is on the mend! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say...I MISSED YOU!!!

3:38 AM  
Blogger April said...

Poor Ari. I too suffer from migraines and with the BP I have a constant headache. It sucks.

You have such a wonderful family and wonderful friends. You are truly lucky. Maybe not because people can't help but to like you. So you're not lucky, you're magnetic. =)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

Heppy new year! I hope it's a good one for you. I really hope the docs can figure everything out and get that wonderful kiddo and taht she stays feeling good! Glad to hear the other good news too!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I'm glad Ari's doing better, and hope she stays well.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home