My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It's the Wine Talking

Well, sorry for this random mish-mash here, but I had one (1) glass of wine on a completely empty stomach, and weeeeeee! I'm what is commonly known as a "cheap date." I can drink one glass with a meal and be fine, but I haven't eaten all day, so this one went straight to my head. Yay!

Why did I have this wine glass? It's been a rough 24 hrs, and the kids are at the ex's house tonight anyway. The ex has no idea it's my birthday. Those things don't matter to him; therefore, he requested kids today via a phone call last night. So I said yes, regretfully. Why? Well, I don't feel like going into it. Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant phone call, and I didn't feel like explaining que dall to him. So what did this mean? Yes, Ariana cried this am when she woke up and found out that she couldn't spend all of mommy's bday with her. Jared just was pissed he had to leave mom's side...he's a total mommy's boy. His exact words? "I wanted to go on SATURDAY!" Mind you, if it HAD been Saturday, he'd have said, "I meant NEXT Saturday!!!"

Feeling down from the previous conversation with the ex, I drove the kids to school. Ariana complained about being taken today the whole way over. My only comment was to ask her to make her father a card for his bday which is Friday.

Alex is in Columbia. My children are with their father. I'm here staring at a stack of papers I need to grade. However, considering how this one glass affected me, I doubt grading will come soon. Plus, my sister will call in a couple of hours, and that means I won't be grading anyway. We can talk for hours.

How have I entertained myself since getting home--besides the wine--you ask? Well, a sociology major from Clemson called to give me a survey! Woohoo! That'd be AFTER the glass of wine, folks. I remember laughter...lots of laughter...oh well. I'm sure giving out surveys is boring, so at least I made her night better. Typical exchange: "So that we may better classify you for our survey, in what income category should we classify you...." (me, interrupting): "I'm a teacher. Find the lowest bracket and check that one."

My cat knows I'm sad. How's that for odd? He's a very perceptive cat. He came over and licked my arm repeatedly...one grooming lick for his back, one for me...repeat. I now have a red strip on my arm that is devoid of hair due to his grooming efforts. He only does this when I'm out of it, which fortunately does NOT happen very often. It's a sandpapery tongue, and I don't need to lose skin. Hmmm...or do I? I mean, we PAY for exfoiliators. Maybe this is a free one, yes?

I have to focus on the good stuff. My kids may be gone, but they'll come back, and they'll be excited to see me. I have friends who are generous to me...even blogger friends who have NEVER met me and yet for some UNKNOWN reason are kind by listening to me ramble or sending me a gift certificate for my bday or walking money. I have students who seem to need me and listen to me. I can pay my bills. And this is a lovely glass of wine. Good, cheap wine: Linderman's Bin 50 Shiraz 2004. The 2003 is better, but near impossible to find at this point. I'd prefer a nice chateauneuf de pape, but $5 vs. $50 is a lot. Oh! And I should have a nice lunch with friends tomorrow. That's always good. It'll tide me over until I can see Alex again on Friday.

Last bit of ramble: mom told my brother Mark I was engaged. We have no feedback on his reaction. I told Ken and Rose because they have met Alex before on a number of times and communicated with him, and they love him. But Mark? Well, Mark's an impossible read. He also is difficult to talk to, period. Mark hid well that he loathed Rob; I never picked up on it. Neither did Rob. It came out the second I separated...sigh. So when Alex came along, he just bristled. He didn't think ill of him like he did Rob, from what I understand, but he just...is...suspicious. Since Mark was the sibling who beat up on me constantly as a youth--and Rose and Ken were like my extra set of parents because they acted that way and are much older than me--it seems strange. Why do my extra "parents" love Alex, and the guy who wanted me dead stares at all men anywhere near me with daggers in his eyes? He seems to get along with Alex, but he just doesn't seem to want me to be with ANYBODY. I guess I need to just realize he has "big brother syndrome" and that's that.

Oh well. Good wine, this. No more though...I need to grade!

And it's 36. I know you all are dying to ask, so as of today I'm 36. Bah.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

26.
26 years old. You are as old as the man you feel. And I promise to do that a lot.

I feel like making an "ex" voodoo doll right now and using some sharp needles on it...
On the bright side, we have Melting pot reservations to look forward to. I plan on being the designated driver and letting you enjoy the wine (unless we decide on a taxi) for once (not a very good driver yet).

And Mark...well I have met him only once so far and unlike Rose, he hasn't heard about me a lot. I'll try to fix that for you dearest.

And perhaps I can get a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape again soon *kiss*
Je t'aime.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

I love it when people BUI. (Blog under the influence!) Good for you. I do it all the time, but not tonight. I'm sorry you have to delay your celebration, but from the sound of the previous comment, you're in for a darn good time. What a sexy sweetheart! And 36...I wish I was 36 again. Enjoy it, you're so very young...very, very, very. Happy Birthday.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Wow, that Alex is cute, lucky girl!

I'm the same way--a cheap date. I drank two beers a few weeks on an empty stomach and had a horrible hangover the next day. It's the empty stomach part you need to avoid, babe.

Happy, happy birthday.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you've witnessed first hand how quickly my wine makes me giddy. (You've also witnessed what happens at this point... CHUG!) My new philosophy on age is that if you look younger than you are, you can be proud of your age. And you definitely do look 26, so you should be very proud!

I just wrote a blog about focusing on the good things too. It's easy to SAY... but very important to DO. So, do it we must.

Happy Birthday! Hope the rest of the week is full of fun!

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost forgot... did you know they closed Earthfare in Gville? I was having lunch with a friend who lives in Gville today, and she told me. =o(

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Alex--every time you post, I think folks understand why I love you so much, dear :) I am SO looking forward to The Melting Pot. Oh, and a massage...because it's all about me, I am looking forward to my nightly massages again. My back always feels a hell of a lot better after your hands work on it!

Juanita--I have BUI'd before, but generally only when kids are not here. I WILL have a glass of wine around the kids, but WITH dinner so I'm not affected at all. And yes, isn't Alex just marvelous? I'm glad you think 36 is young! My sister was telling me I have nothing to fear until the next '-0' bday. She said that 40 wasn't fun (my sis is nine years older than me).

EM--too late. By the time I read your message, it was now, and the Excedrin has been consumed...haha! It was only ONE glass, but damn, I think you're right: critical part is "empty stomach."

Angie--yes, that's true. We still get carded when the place states "under 30? We ID!" so that means we can be proud. Oh, and I've been meaning to tell you this for the LONGEST time but keep forgetting: after staring at your face while we talked at the Duke/Clemson game,I have to say that the spa person who said you have very young skin was NOT trying to flatter you. You do! It's marvelous skin, and I hope Anna thanks her lucky stars that's her genetic code...haha! And now I need to find out if it's both Earthfares or just one of them in Greenville that are closing...ug...where will I get good cheese now???

3:59 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Bad birthdays suck. Rob sucks for not realizing it was your birthday and for having a shitty conversation with you.

Luckily, you have the Melting Pot to look forward to. I LOVE the Melting Pot!!!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Hippy 36th. I'm also that decrepit, which may explain why I'm becoming a lite drunk like you. Last night I had a whopping 3 beers over the same number of hours. When I sat down to write, I realized I was too loopy to focus. I guess I'll have to write sober, which just seems unnatural.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy late birthday!!! I was teaching until 9:00 pm, otherwise I would've made sure to get this on here yesterday! I am sorry that it was not a great birthday, but I'm sure Alex will more than make up for it next time you see him ;)

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home