My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

By George I Think She's Got It!

Yes, I'm bragging on my daughter again. Deal with it.

Yesterday morning, I woke up my children a few min early so they could see their piles of candy and their little present apiece. I had to explain to Alex a year or so ago that in America, even though Vday is still largely for lovers, it's also to show love in general. That's why our kids exchange cards at school, and that's why my mom always got me a little pile of candy for the day as well. In France it is ONLY for lovers, so he had a hard time adjusting to that concept...still, he came with me to pick out one of the little gifts given today, so he's had more exposure to the concept.

I told them they could each have two pieces of candy with their breakfast, and to enjoy said candy while I took a quick shower. When I came back, I found a small box on the table that had a note on it that said, to mommy, love ariana. "That's yours, mommy!" Ariana announced as I walked back in the room.

Inside I discovered two pretty rocks, a small flower with a mirror in it (hers that she loves), and about $2 or so in money (almost all she has left from her Christmas stash). I was very touched. I thanked her, and then I served them breakfast. As I was doing so, Ariana talked about Tori a bit. See, in first grade, Ariana loved a little boy named Matthew, and it seemed to be mutual. This year, she still loves Matthew but Matthew is in the OTHER second grade class, and he seems to be giving little gifts to Tori instead now. She doesn't seem hurt by it at all. See below post on her choice of back up men, in fact...haha! Still, my daughter on Valentine's Day was chipper and in great spirits. She babbled at me happily how Tori was her dear friend, and Tori was pretty, smart, funny, sweet, and an all around great person. "So, I can really see why Matthew likes her!" she tells me as she munches away at her breakfast. I stare at her curiously as she shows not even the smallest sign of jealousy or anger or irritation at this fact. "You're ok with that?" I ask her neutrally, wondering what she really felt. So then Ariana TOLD me what she really felt:

"Oh, Mommy, of course it's ok! Tori's great. I want her to be happy." And then she babbled at me happily about something else.

My daughter has absorbed the girlfriend's code at age eight! It doesn't matter WHAT your personal situation, don't EVER let interest in a guy or seeking that guy's attention come in between love of your girlfriends! I'm so proud! Sniff.

It's ok anyway. Half the damn class is chasing after her. She even got a carnation from a little boy named Andrew (also a second grader). I found out she was the only girl to get a flower from Andrew, so obviously that meant something to Andrew. Ariana blew it off and became redfaced when I questioned her about it later on. So cute! Hey, as long as it's not Jakob "Eat Like A Piggie" Bentley, I'm cool.

*****

As long as we're on the Ariana theme, I would like to state that I watched intently my daughter's entire first soccer practice yesterday. Not a single person, boy or girl, paid more attention to the coach and tried harder than my daughter. She does not have the most athletic talent a girl can have, by far, but a girl would be hard pressed to have more motivation and killer instinct than my child in any sport. Therefore, even though it's yet another thing to transport a child to back and forth, I predict this season will be great fun to watch! I love to see her little eyes narrow and see her throw her entire body into her soccer exercises. Tremendous!

*****

So even though we weren't SUPPOSED to celebrate Vday together until this weekend when we can actually be together, I now have 24 longstem red roses. 12 were delivered to the Writing Center and waiting for me when I got out of class. 12 more were delivered to the house. I swear I'm spoiled rotten!

*****

And lastly, I'm cold. I realize the Canadians or Northerners are laughing their asses off at me right now, but I have a circulation disease that makes it so that cold weather knocks me over. My hands turn blue instantly when it's cold out. I will never be able to live more north than the Carolinas, I swear. I'm SO wanting spring to come here....

10 Comments:

Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Ariana takes after her mother. She's got legions of fans!

24 red roses....not bad...not bad.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

The high in Charleston is supposed to be 72 on Friday. If we were "sick", we could stop in Columbia for Alex and spend the day at Brady's...cough, cough. ;)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I just wanted you to know I have nothing to add to this.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

SC--have I told you lately that I love you? :)

Laura--I suck. My daughter--who gets A+'s in math--just pointed out to me that the rose count from the home delivery is EIGHTEEN, not twelve. I can't count for shit. So, total of 30 roses.

Amanda--ooohhh if I only knew this ahead of time, I could have asked Ken for a couple of frequent point nights at a Charleston hotel! 72. That's WARM. I wanna go!

Grant--"....!...?..., ...!"

Doc-t--sure. Reynaud's. My grandmother had it (her hands used to turn black, so compared to her mine is mild), and my mom has it. It's the family fun! Well, along with migraines.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Do you know if anyone's ever found a link between Raynaud's and the autoimmune disorders it's often found with? The other person I know with Raynaud's had never even heard of an autoimmune disorder. :)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Hmmm Joe, I have no idea, but I DO know that my grandma who had it so bad had Lupis too (an autoimmune disorder).

5:08 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

What a precious story, your little girl and her gift to you. That is so sweet. What is it about those grubby little declarations of love? Too cute!

5:42 PM  
Blogger April said...

OK KIRA, get your ass up here so we can fix my life (you offered, remember?) and introduce Ari and Ethan. Considering arranged marriages aren't common in this country, we won't let them know of our intentions. Shhhhh....

Isn't also part of the girlfriend's code not to date one of your friends ex's? Tori broke the rules which technically means that Ari could be pissed, but she's better than that!! She'll be the bestest daughter in law I could possibly want!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Kira, are you pimping your kids?!? In another eleven years, I get Jared. April has claimed Ari for Ethan. Hmmm, sounds like a nice little arrangement....

6:47 PM  
Blogger April said...

What happened to Amanda's blog???

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home