My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Friday, April 11, 2008

So it seems....

...that I likely have a second job. We are short on money because Alex hasn't been able to pin down a job in the last month and a half (although he has a few good leads), and I have a talent that will get me some fun, easy part time work.

What is it, you ask?

My love of wine.

Yes, tomorrow I go in to fill out paperwork to work part-time at a local wine store because damn me for being so awesome, I impressed them with my wine knowledge and my passion for the subject. I was actually told point blank, though, that my wine knowledge was great, but it was actually my charisma that makes them want to hire me. The goal is that one day I'll teach the wine classes there, too. Yay!

Me? Charismatic? I guess all those years of teaching has paid off!

Anyway, we'll see how it works out, but it appears that my life has become more full. I should start sometime after final exams. That should make for an easy adjustment: first over the summer, when during the week I'm mommy at home with the kids, and then adding on school next fall as a teacher. Sure, if I get four more lit classes next fall, I'll be screwed for the workload, but I think I can do it. I just might not be able to do French too.

I'm really excited! I'm especially excited by the prospect of 30% off :) Woohoo!

12 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

{joe is anxiously looking forward to wine shipments}

3:50 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

30% off?

I predict you're going to be inundated with new friends.

Congratulations!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

If only you were Japanese we could make your love of sex profitable as well.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Laurita said...

How fun! I WANT WINE AND CHEESE (damn this diet).

8:18 AM  
Blogger Feisty Frida said...

Ah, I'd love to attend your class!!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

You're a better person than me. If I worked in a wine shop, I'd likely spend more than I earned - even with the 30% off.

Where do I place my order?

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Although - it's no surprise you got this one with all the knowledge you have. I'm sure it will be so much fun, it'll barely feel like work. =o)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Wowza! I'm happy for you! Your life is so glamorous: Wine, literature and a French husband with a British accent -- I totally have a girl-crush on you.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Good for you! 1) Ask them why they don't stock The Prisoner. 2) Wanna be my personal shopper??

7:34 AM  
Blogger C... said...

That sounds like an exciting opportunity!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I love having fun and getting paid for it!

Rock on sis, but watch the drive home after work!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Joe--you can place your order before the next time I come up;)

NWJR--see above with Joe. He's an old friend, but I think he's just the start...haha!

Grant--well, I'd have to be Japanese and NOT have the tit size I have now. I swear you're one of the very few men I know who think my breast size is a disadvantage.

Laura--you'll look better than me for your willpower. Think of it that way. But damn, I just can't give up wine and cheese (esp. since Whole Foods really has a great cheese section). Give me a diet wherein I only eat cheese and chocolate plus drink wine, and I'll give you success.

FF--well, if you're ever down from Canada, let me know! I probably won't be teaching until the fall at Total Wine. It seems that I might also teach a class at Clemson then, but I think it'll just be for the business majors :)

Angie--you're right that it is NOT a job to me that way. I don't have to have it to survive. It's just a great way to learn new stuff and to get a discount. Haha! I think it's really like getting paid for a hobby, you know?

Juanita--bwahahaha! Thanks, dear :) I may not have millions, but I do have a FUN life, I think.

Amanda--probably because The Prisoner is a National Brand wine instead of a Winery Direct wine. That's a long story that you don't want to hear. But as far as being a personal shopper? You got it. I already have picked out mentally a few wines there that I feel confident you'd love.

C--absolutely! I think there's only so much you can learn in books. After that point, you have to get your hands dirty :)

Val--I know what you mean! They "make" us sample wines at work because we have to (awww...sucks, right? haha!). But the sampling doesn't seem to equal more than a glass or two after a good nine hours on the job, so it's fine. I have never driven drunk in my life. I think I'm the only 38 yr old woman who drinks who could say that, but it's absolutely true. I just won't do it. The risk is too great--not for me so much as for others who might encounter my erratic driving. I predict I'll never drive drunk in my life, too. It just means that much to me for a variety of reasons.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home