My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Accidents Happen

Well, Alex was on his way back from the weekend last Friday when his tire exploded. It didn't go flat; it blew *kerPOW!* Now, one thing you have to keep in mind is that Alex has only been driving for about two years. Why did he need to know how to drive over in France when the public transportation was so good? So, he didn't get his license until he came over here. Last May, I bought a new Mazda 3 and gave him my old Mazda Protege. Our next project is to replace said Protege because it's got 185k miles on it. I didn't think the tires were due to be changed, though...and the guy at the tire place said that the other three were fine, so maybe not. Who knows why it blew? All I know is that I am INCREDIBLY HAPPY that Alex managed to keep control of the car while driving speedily down the interstate as it blew, and he did not get into an accident nor cause an accident. Whew! In many ways, it's just a metaphor for life: there you are, driving down the road, when suddenly something unexpected happens. And how you react to it determines your own path and the path of others.

Anyway, I've decided that Alex must have cooties this weekend because not only did his tire screw up but also his cell phone. The contract expires on his cell phone in September, so I desperately did not want it to die NOW. "Now" means we have to BUY a new phone instead of get one free with a two-year contract. Sigh. But at least I found a place that sells used, refurbished cell phones (with a 30 day warranty) that will be compatable with our current service--just switch out the SIM card and we're good. So, that's better than spending hundreds on a new, great phone. We'll worry about something spiffy rather than functional in Sept.

I'm afraid people will kill me for the last "accident" I'm listing off today. I'm accidentally losing weight. I'm not dieting; I'm eating all the chocolate and drinking all the wine I usually consume. However, there are three factors that have changed in my life. In January, I started eating more fruits and vegetables because I was worried I wasn't getting in enough of them. At the same time, I started drinking more water and cut myself back to one soda a day. Then in May, I started up a job wherein I have to walk, walk, walk...and I gave up sodas entirely because I just decided that there's no value at all to drinking a chemical concoction. To give you an idea of HOW much I have to walk, I took Alex's pedometer to work with me out of curiosity on Saturday. After a 9 and a half hour shift, I had walked 23,014 steps. Basically, you're doing good if you can manage to swing 10,000 steps a day. I'm more than doubling it. I keep wondering what it'll be like after my 12 and a half hour shift on Thursday. Now, it's just a part time job, but I guess every little bit helps. My metabolism has never been bad (although it certainly has slowed over the years--that getting older and giving birth thing), and I guess this is the proof. I still eat insane amounts of food and calories, but these small changes had me go from 134 lbs in December to 123 lbs now. My clothes that were really, really tight now fit comfortably. Amazing. I'll take that and say "thank you."

12 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

I KISS YOUR BOOBIES!

12:30 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You remember when I saw you last? I think 123 is BETTER!!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up soda on the cruise since it wasn't free... well, I'm still trying. I am having horrible headaches now, but I really want to kick my diet coke habit once and for all. Kudos to you for managing it! (Guess working with wine does have unseen advantages too, lol!) Glad Alex is okay - it's not easy to control a blown tire on 85. I wish I'd known about the refurbished phone place when I put my pretty new pink phone in the washer, lol. =o)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Re: your unplanned weight loss. If I had the strength to go up there and kill you, then I would go up there and kill you. Of course I've lost more weight than you, but that's only because I used the "nearly drop dead and have bits surgically removed" method you are too afraid to try. Wuss.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Laurita said...

Yeah for Alex and Yeah for your weight loss!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Geez, I'm forced to second Grant's emotion! I'm accidently gaining weight. WTF?!?! But seriously, I'm happy for you, and if you're doing that kind of step mileage, then you deserve it. Thank GOD for Alex's skill and good fortune. That could have been really, really bad. Now I have something new to worry about the next time Paul is speeding down the highway at 85 mph. I'm such a nervous nellie. Sometimes I have to pre-medicate myself with valium before a road trip so I don't jump and scream every time he passes another car. I wish I was kidding!

9:39 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

I had a dream last night that I blew out all four tires simultaneously while driving down the road. Today, I discovered one of my tires was dangerously low on air. Then I read your post.

Maybe I should play the lottery. I have a hunch about the number "12".

:-)

2:40 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Glad Alex is ok!

Love on you two!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I'm glad Alex is okay, but car repairs do suck. I'm happy for the no-work weight loss, although the first weight didn't sound bad either. Anyway [cliche alert], at least there's good to go along with the bad.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Joe--LOL! But for us, I thought it was always the butt grab ;)

Hoss--I sure as hell FEEL better regardless. I have more energy, and my back is bothering me less. It's the accident that was wonderful to happen.

Angie--It's been around two months now since I gave up soda, and I haven't looked back. What I've picked up instead of soda is a nice glass of mandarine orange green tea every morning (from Teavana--GREAT tea place). It has a little caffiene in it, so that helps, and it's actually good for me. I think you'll find it easier to drop sodas all together if you find a substitute for them. And if you ever flush a phone down the toilet again, give me a hollar and I'll show you the site with the refurbished phones...lol. We're happy with the cheap replacement because it WORKS. And then in Sept. we can get new, better ones with a new contract.

Grant--you're right. I'm too much of a wuss to nearly die in order to lose weight. I couldn't believe how much thinner you were last time I saw you, so I can't doubt on its effectiveness, though.

Laura--I guess that post was the closest I've ever come to a gratitude post...haha!

Juanita--arg, accidental weight gain sucks! Don't you think that as parents, we should automatically lose weight just from the stress of being driven crazy on a constant basis? ;)

NWJR--how'd that lottery go? win anything? If so, when do I get my cut? ;)

Val--good to see you again! It just wasn't Alex's time to go, and for that I am grateful. I don't mind close calls. I mind the finality of something I can't fix.

FW--you must remember that 134 lbs on a 5'2" midget is quite different than on a 6' superwoman ;) But, no, at 134 I hadn't crossed over to overweight according to the BMI index. So it wasn't THAT bad, I suppose. My only issue was that I couldn't fit in my clothes and I hate clothes shopping. Why would I want to spend $50 on a new pair of pants when I could spend that on four or five really fun bottles of wine???

6:50 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Actually, being able to control a car after a tire blows is pretty good driving--especially for someone with two years experience. It sucks that you have to replace the tire AND the cell phone. But things could be worse.

Now about the weight loss....

2:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Call me Speed-Racer...


Although, Batman is acceptable as well.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home