My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, March 13, 2005

...And A Much Happer Post!

So now that I have other thoughts out of my system, time to give an update to a happier moment!

Alex and I arrived at La Bastide around 5p on Friday. La Bastide is an exclusive French restaurant that is associated with the Cliffs at Glassy near Traveler's Rest, SC. They also have a simply marvelous little Inn associated with it. Alex had made reservations for the night in the perfect hotel room that they possess, plus reservations for 7p that night at the restaurant.

Let me describe the room to you!

It's done in antiques with a French flair. The bed is massive--king sized, but also with the thickest mattress and box spring ever known to man. Apparently they have steel reinforced flooring due, in part, to the weight of the beds! It's the most comfortable bed I've ever....yeah, and slept in too! There are tons of feather-stuffed pillows, along with the most thick and plush down comforter imaginable. Both sides of the bed have distinct nightstands with lamps, and on one side of the bed resides a fireplace as well. The other side has a full, door-sized window that opens up to a gorgeous view of the vineyards and mountains.

The room also has a Jacuzzi tub! It's big enough for Alex and I to enjoy at once, and we soaked in it twice (once the night we arrived; the other time, the next morning) until we turned to prunes. The bath has two sinks, a makeup mirror, hairdryer, separate toliet area, several bars of pleasantly scented French-milled soap, lotion, bath salts, shampoo, bath gel, conditioner, etc. Simply lovely!

Upon arrival, the staff bends over backwards to accomodate you. As part of their service (IE, no additional charge), the clients are offered a glass of wine. Weeee! We both received a glass of red wine. We sipped upon them while in the Jacuzzi. Note: the wine glasses are big enough to accomodate about 20 ounces or so of alcohol. I shit you not.

The room also has slippers, deliciously plush robes, little linen cloths to place down on either side of the bed, and access to the kitchen. The kitchen has unlimited coffee, tea, soda, bottled water, and snack products for the guests to access.

At 7p, we dressed up completely (no jeans, shorts, casual clothes allowed in the restaurant!) and went to eat. We decided to do the wine course with the meal. Basically, that means we got a glass of alcohol with each course, a glass that was especially chosen to pair up with our choices for food. OH GOD WAS THAT RIGHT ON TARGET!!!! The wine pairings were PERFECT! I love good wine, and honey baby dear, WAS THIS EVER IT! The third glass was actually port because it came with dessert. I had chosen this chocolate tart with a rasberry coulis, and as any alcohol expert can tell you, nothing goes better with chocolate than port! MMMM! Unfortunately, let's now tally up what Ms. Lightweight had to drink:

(1) glass of red wine that actually was about the size of (2) glasses of red wine
(2) glasses of white wine with the appetizer and main course
(1) glass of port with dessert

Hah! I levitated, not walked back to the room! My whole body was humming with the buzz.

I remember most but not all of what followed. Unless I want the blog to be banned from Lee's workplace AGAIN, I suppose I should leave out the details. Let's just say that the sashes on the robes are extraordinarily handy! I vaguely remember after a while looking up and seeing the sash tied up to the huge bedpost and giggling, telling Alex that those damn maids were a perverted lot...

Hmm I know we fed each other the homemade chocolate truffles they left for us after turndown too. See, here's another reason why I love Alex: there were three truffles and so he automatically assumed two were for me and one was for him. There was no convincing him otherwise. The ex would have insisted he got two because he was bigger...or if he was feeling particularly generous, he'd have cut the third one in half. But Alex made sure I knew: truffles are a WOMAN'S domain! Woohoo!

Also, for some reason my voice was nearly gone the next day and my throat was sore. Alex explained to me why, but again, let's just leave it to your imagination.

NO, Chuck, this does NOT mean you need to try and get me to talk tomorrow at work! Chuck is the evil bastard who saw a previous blog about me not being able to walk right and decided to send me to fetch paper from across the room so he could WATCH how I was walking! Evil I say! LOL!

Breakfast at La Bastide is included with the price of the room. However, it's not the "continental breakfast" of cereal and doughnuts that other hotels have. We had eggs with prosciutto and parmesan, croissants with homemade butter and marmelade, duck and turkey sausage, and applewood smoked bacon. Alex had his hot tea and a bowl of fresh fruit as well. I just stuck with the orange juice.

All in all, the whole experience was MARVELOUS!!!! SUPERB! TERRIFIC! I wish we could afford to do this sort of activity more often, but it's expensive and we're both broke. Still, what a wonderful weekend it was!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am begging B to take me here now... It sounds PERFECT!!!!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

It's worth EVERY PENNY! Go for it...it's a fantastic sort of way to re-connect couple wise as it is so romantic. Yes, when money is tight, it's quite the splurge, but some things are just plain worth it!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home