My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Vomit

Catchy title, eh? It's what I've enjoyed for the last few days! Jared started to barf on Sunday and has had a fever for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. He's over it as of this morning...no fever, no barfing, looks drained but otherwise all right. Nothing sadder than a sick four year old!

The first time he threw up, I suspected he was going to hurl. We were in a Baskin Robbins and he just looked sick. He gagged and I asked him, "Jared, are you going to throw up?" He said, very firmly, "NO!"

And then, of course, he barfed.

I can't imagine it made the ice cream experience more pleasant for anybody in that store. Rocky Road, anybody?

It's a weird thing about four year old mentality. See, when I asked him later on why he said no to the "Are you going to throw up?" question, he answered with vigor, "Because I didn't WANT to barf, mommy!" It's that denial thing: if I deny that I feel the need, I can control it and it will go away. We all know this method doesn't work, but at four he hasn't figured it out yet. Therefore, it's actually rather futile to ask him if he's going to hurl. He will always say no as he wants to NOT throw up.

Interestingly to me, on Monday--when Alex stayed home with Barfing Boy and Ariana (who had the day off of school) while I went to The Premiere Technical School to teach--Jared's main concern was that he not be sent to his dad's house. He knew he was too sick to go to daycare, but he didn't want to be with the ex. When I told him he'd stay with Alex instead, he was visibly relieved. Hmmm. I know Rob is good with the kids typically, but I think that he's not so great at dishing out empathy to a sick child and Jared knows it. Alex did a bang up job...kids were happy and Jared was resting when I came home. Alex had "hoovered" (English slang term for vacuuming, kind of like how we say kleenex for facial tissue) and made gingerbread houses with the kids (from a kit, but still...how many guys would sit down and make gingerbread houses with kids???). It was such a relief to know that they were fine and with him. I didn't have to worry while at school. I'm just lucky he's got his spring break this week.

What was also entertaining to me was the image of Alex picking up Jared and holding him at arm's length, tearing down the hall to the bathroom to get him there before he spewed. Haha! It was almost like a video game: get the boy to the toilet before he ruins the carpet and YOU!

Ari seemed a bit out of it when she got home yesterday, but I think she's ok to go to school today. I, however, have a sore throat and an upset tummy now. I don't need to be sick on Friday for "divorce court"!

Speaking of that, you know what concerns me? I can't locate the ex. He was supposed to be back in town by Monday, and he's not back yet and it's Wednesday. My fear: he's run off so he won't be here for the divorce hearing on Friday, forcing me to hire a lawyer and wait even longer to get divorced. I told him we needed a divorce in January of 2002...I REALLY think I've waited long enough for this sucker!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww - hope the kids are well again soon! Having sick children is one of the hardest things to get through.

Hope you find that ex soon - 2002 was just too long ago!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home