My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Brenda's Back!

Some of you may remember my remarkable student, Brenda, from a blog I wrote last December. She was truly an inspiration. She came from the WORST upbringing imaginable, thought herself worthless and unable, tried school...and kicked ass! When I wrote about her before, I didn't know one other detail that I found out later on: her dad used to beat the crap out of her mom. Her mom was very pregnant with Brenda when her dad attacked her mom again, and her mom killed him in self defense. Her mom was acquited of anything due to the self defense, and it was in that environment that Brenda was born. She was told alternately that she was wonderful...and that she was stupid, ugly, and incompetent. My proudest moment as a teacher was when she hugged me at the end of the term and said, "You've taught me what I'm really worth!" Wow. Her family never gave her that encouragement, and she stuck to mine as a replacement. That's why I teach for crap pay.

So today she came into the Writing Center to say hello, and it was all hugs and babbling happy people. As Chuck commented later, "Well, it was a hallmark moment." Haha! Yes it was. And yeah, it was a bit intense...sickeningly sweet really...but Brenda and I were so happy to see each other. She's still at Tech doing nursing, although she had to cut back to two classes because the 1.5 jobs she holds were proving to be too much with four classes and three children. Very understandable. She bought her own house!!!! Her crack addict ex threatened her with a knife, and so he is not allowed around her or their child any more. She is doing so well, though....god I'm so proud....*sniff*

God I love that woman :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Doe said...

I admire people who make a differnce in other's lives. You are now on my people to admire list.
I have a form of dyslexia an was made to feel inferior to others because my spelling is so awful. It took an IQ test and a caring teacher to let me know that that was just not true. Funny how uninformed people still see spelling errors as either stupidity or lazyness.

I thank God for my 10th grade english teacher to this day.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Doe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Yes, a good teacher "saved" me in high school too. I just didn't care...couldn't care, really. I didn't do that well my Freshman year in high school because of this lack of motivation, and nobody could convince me to change my ways. Then came Mrs. Perrella, and she became my mentor as well as lifesaver. I would have NEVER gotten my grades to soar up so that I could get into Duke! Then I had a second teacher while at college, Rick Fehrenbacher. He's the one who convinced me I WAS capable of graduate school and that's why I have my master's degree today! It's part of the reason why I'm a teacher today. I WANT to help people out the way I was helped out...

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home