My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, March 14, 2005

We Need to Train

Amanda and I ordered a large cheese dip at Monterrey's last night, and I am saddened deeply as we didn't finish it *hangs head in shame*, hence why I have the title: "We Need to Train." For the record, when I order the "large" cheese dip at Cinco De Mayo in Easley, it's about half the size as the large at Monterrey's *she says defensively*, and I can always finish that sucker with a partner. Still, we gave it a go. I think more practice is necessary...

I can't live without cheese. One of the best parts about France is the cheese. Mmmmm fromage course....mmmmm! I wish we regularly had a cheese course here too. Alex and I had wanted to order the cheese course at La Bastide Friday night, but I think we were too full (and too drunk?) to get it by the time we reached that point. Oh well. Maybe next time!

Today's fun: more poetry projects! The most entertaining group so far was a two girl team who decided their theme was "sexual innuendo." Part of their presentation basket to me had all sorts of objects I was supposed to take in a sexual manner: bananas, peaches, strawberries, hershey's kisses, charms blow pops, etc. They also included--for the pleasure of Alex and I later on--edible body paints (apple flavor), candles, incense, and several cds of "I'm in the mood sex songs." What a scream! They also included a couple of packs of flavored condoms. I distributed several to the students who wanted them and saved a fistful for one student in particular. Hell, I'm on the pill and monogamous, so why do I need condoms?

Why did I save a stack for one student from another class? Let me tell you why. I have a (male) young student who confides in me every little detail of his life. We are complete polar opposites in some ways as far as belief systems go, but we really respect each other a lot. Anyway, this particular fellow has NO experience with sex...neither does his girlfriend...and he's not supposed to be dating his girlfriend. She's 17 and FOLKS SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO EVEN TALK TO GUYS. Her father thinks that if no male is allowed contact with her ever outside of family, he has no worries. The only thing he allows her to do as she is homeschooled is to attend functions with the youth group of the church. That's where they met. My student and this girl have been raised in a hyper conservative background where premarital sex is SUCH a no no that...well, guess what...it's now the biggest temptation that they can't resist. They sneak out places and get closer to the mark. He scared me when he told me they sort of "tested" to see if he "fit." Ack! I remember Angie writing a few items about teen pregnancy and why it happens. Here's one! Neither of them can go to their parents for information. Neither of them feel like they can get ahold of birth control. But neither of them can resist the hormones that are building. I swear I'll probably get fired if it ever gets out that I sat down and chatted with him extensively about condom usage and gave him sexual information nobody in his family/church/life would provide for him, but I couldn't (morally/ethically) NOT give him this information. He trusts me and he sought me out. If I didn't hand him the condoms and give him the information, they'd end up pregnant. They came close enough a couple of days ago and he's seeing her again twice this week. They sneak out in creative ways...and they are just way too young to be having babies.

I sometimes fall into the category of "I think this action is the correct action to do so I will do it, regardless of consequences." This whole situation is definitely in that arena. I know I did the right thing, so tonight I can sleep. If I had kept my mouth shut, when he came to me two months later and told me she was pregnant, I'd never have been able to sleep again. I know I'm not his mom...I know it's not my job...but I really care about these kids, and if I have a way to help them, I will. If I get fired for that, so be it.

You know what's cool? I told my boss all about the sexual innuendo project and she thought it was hilarious. I could have NEVER done that with the old boss. Robin rocks.

I'm having to hand out evaluations again this week. I hate handing those suckers out. I know I can't please everybody, but I really DO try my best, and hence I don't want to hear a bunch of whining and wailing that they aren't getting the A mommy told them they deserved. Or that they heard the word vagina in my class. Or whatever crap they want to whine about this day.

Whining ghost be gone! I exercise thee! I actually do that to my children when they whine. It irritates Ariana but Jared thinks it's funny.

Anyway, back to grading...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home