My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, April 04, 2005

Environment

Today, something a student said to me triggered a very fond memory.

See, you have to understand that somebody who has a straight-from-Mexico grandmother and a straight-from-Hungary/Hungarian Jew grandfather (both long dead, but still...) would have a particular interest in the idea of teaching her children a respect for all folks, no matter what origins or skin color they possess. My mom did a great job of passing that ideal on to me. I remember only becoming aware of racism and the issues with people fearing/hating others from other places when I went to school. Before that point, I used to never notice the difference.

Because I remembered how strongly environment played on my reactions, I became determined to raise my children in a way that they would become "color blind." Since I have friends of various races and since my daughter was raised in a small cabin in the woods, it was easier to do than you'd think. I always wondered, though, if perhaps she picked up messages on TV or books or from relatives that were different. Then came the moment I knew it all worked.

My daughter had just turned 6 years of age, and her class had a lecture on MLK day. The teacher told the children about the issues between blacks and whites and why MLK was so great. When my daughter came home that day, she looked confused. I asked her why. She told me about the whole black/white thing that she learned in school that day, and I asked her then if she had any questions.

"Yes, mommy," she replied.

(get this....LOL)

Then she grabbed my arm and held it up against hers. Mind you, she's as pasty white as one can come, and I am not much better. Studying the arms against each other, she said in all seriousness, "Mommy, I can't figure out which one of us is black."

LMFAO

At first, I found her reaction and question funny. But you know what? Later on, I found it profound. Why, you ask? I found it soul-nurturing to know for a FACT that what I already knew in my heart was true: it's all in the environment. If we can just keep heading towards an understanding of others, we will get there because children who are not told otherwise are already there!

Sure, there are some poor kids being raised by ignorant racists of every shape, color, origin, and size. These kids will have the opposite attitudes of my child, unfortunately. But as long as we make efforts to continue to expose others to the critical idea that there is only one race--the human race--we'll get there. Yes, some cultures will take longer to get to that point. Some people will take longer to come to that conclusion. I know, I know, I know. But do you see it???? DO YOU SEE IT???? We'll get there!

****

Oh, and before I forget....

Happy Birthday Amanda!

Wait, what do I mean? I ALREADY forgot...too busy uhhh entertaining Alex to post it here. I always wonder how hard that must be: birthday on April Fool's Day. How many lame jokes must she have suffered through due to that one?

*****

Ok, so here's the other admission to make...uhhhmmmm....well, I forgot about the time change *coughs* So Alex was supposed to go to the bus stop around 1015a here (that's when we have to leave to get there on time). The clock said 930a. No worries, right? I go over to the computer, stare at the computer clock and go....

HOLY SHIT IT'S 1035a!!!!!

Ooopsie *looks sheepish* Alex forgot too. See, he was actually WARNED by others before he came over here. I was clueless. I don't have a newspaper subscription, and that used to be how I discovered such important news. Sigh. Alex missed his bus. I couldn't take him to the bus stop on Monday, either, so he had to take a taxi there in the am after I drove off to take the kids and myself to our schools.

Typical Alex...so I come home after school and find the place really clean. He cleaned up the kitchen, living room, and took out my garbage. Gotta love this man! I miss him too much when he's gone. I have no idea how I'll manage the next two years. It looks like he has a good chance of being in Columbia, SC the entire time. Oh well. At least that's just a two hour drive, right? Much better than a nine hour plane ride to and from Paris, plus a four hour train ride to Clermont-Ferrand.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jezzy said...

The children of the ignorant racists either grow up just like their parents - pandering to the same stereotypes - or they find their parents embarrassing and become the complete opposite. However the latter is rare.

It's so sad when I see parents speaking about other cultures in a derogatory way in front of their children.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home