My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth of July, Folks!

Hope you're all having a good day! If you're really lucky, you're spending it with family, too (unless you are Grant...he is excused from ever wanting any member of his family around him at any time). The best celebrations involve food, too, and lots of it! I always think that's the best way to show love: food. Oh yeah! That's how I know Amanda loves me, for instance. Any person who places half a cheesecake in front of me for breakfast, dumps strawberries on it, and expects me to eat it all MUST love me...haha! That's also how I know Grant loves me. Well, ok, so it's more of a "feck off with love" thing since it's Grant we're talking about. Still! He ordered food with me in mind and then let me have some of his meal. Ahhhh! I wish I could do a picnic with the kids today, but they are with their father. So, I have good wine and good cheese for myself today to savor while I read, write, and clean.

Alex has arrived back in America, safe and sound. He just called me from the NYC airport. He has a layover and then will be back this evening to SC. I'm so happy to have him back. Just having him around negates so much anxiety for me. It's hard to explain, but it is true. I know he's a real partner in this relationship, so that any problem that crops up he'll take at least half of it to solve for us on his own. So, bad things can happen and they just aren't so bad. It used to be that I was responsible for all the worry and all the problem solving. I can't tell you how great it is to NOT be the sole adult in the house anymore.

Ok, last night I was introduced to a term I have never heard of before in my life: Gayborhood. I could NOT stop laughing. I can see the point of labeling it as such. At least if you're gay, you'll know that folks there won't be making your life a living hell. Still! All I could think about at that point was Mr. Rogers...

It's a beautiful day in this Gayborhood
A beautiful day for a Gaybor
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

Oh, man, that's so fantastic. Do they have people with good gaydar at the entrance to this exclusive and gated community to determine if you had it in you to be an exemplary Gaybor? I love it! This is great. My own neighborhood seems so bland and lifeless now.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kira said...

Amanda, I'm going to assume that you're like me and never need an excuse to desire cheesecake ;) And yes, many of the men in my life do the anxiety or frustration route too. I think I've mentioned before that the most amazing thing about Alex is that he doesn't annoy me. Ever. I'm going to give that advice to my daughter: marry the man who doesn't annoy you. My mom says it's related to her advice of "marry the man whom you don't want to change." She said if you don't want to change them, they don't annoy you as is. She may have a point.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Cheesecake? Bah! Fie upon your western foods. I'll take Pocky any day. =)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You hit it dead-on Kira. You have to have someone that you don't get annoyed with. There's nothing worse than that person that has the ability to grate on you and that person should never be your significant other or your're doomed.

And thank you for making me want cheesecake really badly now!!!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohooo - I'm glad Alex is back! That didn't take nearly as long as last year, huh? Sigh... cheesecake... if only we were going back to Chicago. Of course, I bet they have it in Mystic too. Will find out soon... >:o)

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohooo - I'm glad Alex is back! That didn't take nearly as long as last year, huh? Sigh... cheesecake... if only we were going back to Chicago. Of course, I bet they have it in Mystic too. Will find out soon... >:o)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I bet they let fag hags like me into the gayborhood.

Welcome back, Alex. You two are lucky to have each other.

:)

8:49 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(1) Happy Fourth of July to you, Kira, and to your family (and that includes Alex). In fact, Happy 4th to us all.

(2) I had a pretty interesting 4th, but it didn't involve food. I was, however, in a parade.

(3) I've tested Gaydar for decades. It just doesn't work. I've introduced gay friends to other gay friends many times before. Unless they're wearing something that signifies their sexual orientation (e.g. freedom rings, ACT-UP T-shirt, etc.), they usually don't notice.

A gated gay community? I think I would have seen one by now. But, you never know.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

Mmm cheesecake :O) And i think the Gayborhoods should be aesy to pick out, Find the ones with the super flashy, yet, trendy front gates. :O) None of that dull black iron stuff. heh

12:27 PM  
Blogger Old Horsetail Snake said...

Say, do you happen to know this? What do gay guys call it when they get a little? Can't be nookie, can it? It can????

2:28 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Sorry to have been away so long. Hope Alex will be home very soon!!

3:07 PM  
Blogger The Fatalist said...

Well I suppose we'd call it a Gaybourhood. You foreigners really must learn how to write English properly!
The nearest we come to Gaybourhoods are parts of a town where there are lots of gay businesses, usually licensed premises. Like Canal Street in Manchester, Soho in London, and Kemp Town in Brighton. They're referred to as gay 'villages'.
And what is it with you Americans?
Fourth of July. Thanksgiving. And the usual Easter & Christmas feasts. Just how many excuses have you got in a year for stuffing your faces? ;-)

12:03 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

Can I at least VISIT the Gaybors every now and again? I'll bring cheesecake as a housewarming present!

4:20 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

"And what is it with you Americans?
Fourth of July. Thanksgiving. And the usual Easter & Christmas feasts. Just how many excuses have you got in a year for stuffing your faces? ;-)"


We don't need excuses, but they're nice to have anyway! if you Brits had any decent food, you'd understand.

;-)

(I'm kidding, I'm a kidder)

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home