My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Yes, I Am Strange

I never really worried in high school about what the other kids thought of me. I had good friends, and those who didn't bother to get to know me yet judged me could go to hell. I laughed, I had a great time, and that was all that mattered. However, because I loved geeky things and never tempered my behavior to suit peer pressure, I soon had a reputation as being the "freak" of the class. I really didn't mind.

My second semester, Freshman year, I started a new religion class. It was an all girls' Catholic school, you see, and every semester we had a new religion class. In this classroom, students had assigned seating. The teacher figured that would cut down on talking and notepassing.

I was sat next to a gal in the class, Michelle, who was one of the "popular" crowd. She was HORRIFIED--and I mean truly just horrified--to see that I was her assigned table partner. There were two kids to each little table, and there I was in all my freaky glory. I figured we'd just ignore each other and life would be fine. Oh no. Nope. That wasn't enough for Michelle.

As class started, she angrily started whispering to me about what a freak I was, how nobody in her right mind wanted to be anywhere near me, how nobody liked me because I was so strange, etc, etc. The damn bitch just wouldn't shut up. I suppose it bothered me for like, I dunno, five seconds. Then I grinned. Why? Because I can be 100% evil, that's why!

I started mooing under my breath. Softly. Just low enough so she could hear.

Michelle stared at me. She whispered at me, what the hell are you doing?

I'm a cow, Michelle, I whispered back. I'm a reincarnated cow. I have fond memories of chewing on my cud, in a green grassy field, and it was peace, and lovely. I wish I could go back...but since I can't, I just moo. Then I mooed more.

She started screaming, leaping out of her chair, and yelling, "YOU ARE A FREAK!!!"

The teacher scolded her. She got in trouble big time, and she got moved to her own little isolated island on the other end of the classroom. I, on the other hand, got my own table...SCORE! And I tried hard not to laugh to give it away. My friends thought it was hilarious.

I really DO believe that when one lives one's life as one feels one should, it all works out in the end. My junior year in high school, I was in another religion class and Michelle sat next to me (but in a separate seat...this classroom had single seat desks). The teacher said something, and I fired off some typically wild and crazy Kira idea, and the whole class laughed, Michelle included. Suddenly a note slid onto my desk as the teacher turned, shaking her head. I looked up at Michelle, curious. She just grinned at me, and the smile was genuine. Huh? I opened up the note. I think I still have it somewhere, actually. This is what it said:

Kira---you know what? You really ARE crazy, but I love you for it. You're great! Stay the way you are!

Oddly, after that point? We were friends. I made a few more friends out of the popular set too by the time my senior year rolled around. Not all of them...just some. Still, whenever I think that people are viewing me as plain nuts for doing whatever it is I am doing, I remind myself of this incident, and then remember: in the end, it usually turns out OK!

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love you to pieces dearest just for being crazy :D
I adore you endlessly. I had heard this story before, and for me, this story alone proves that you are wonderful beyond words and unique!

I love you.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...when one lives one's life as one feels one should, it all works out in the end..." - absolutely. =o)

7:36 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

OK, that's a GREAT story. It's stuff like this that keeps me cruising the blogosphere!

8:09 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Well, I have to admit mooing got you more satisfaction than taking a swing at her.

Not that I would, were I in your position. Just. . . .

Actually, those kinds of games are the main reason I don't miss high school at all.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--well, yes. I'm hoping I'm the good sort of crazy...haha!

Alex--it pleases me immensely that you adore my wierdness ;)

Angie--yes, sometimes it takes a while and I lose patience, but it always works out in the end!

NWJR--thanks! I have a couple more stories on how I handled issues in high school on a similar level, but I'm afraid that if I post them all, everybody will realize for sure my brain doesn't work right...haha!

X.dell--Clocking her occured to me, but not in the middle of a religion class with the teacher watching. I will sadly confess that having two older brothers meant that using my fists to solve problems DID occur, and I have a bad enough temper that eventually I decided I had to just get that part of me under control. Now I save physical violence for those who threaten my children ;) However, your last line is curious to me. I've had a lot of people say that they don't miss high school because of the bullying or the mind games or whatever. Now, please don't get me wrong--I have 0% desire to return to high school. However, I found HS to be a more out in the open, more intense version of the rest of the world. People still try and bully you. People still try to play mind games with you. They just do it in a more subtle way. People play office politics; people pit friends against each other; people get jealous and do insane things. It's not like in high school everybody gets all their meanness out of their system! So, although I don't want to go back to high school, I really didn't have a bad experience...despite having to struggle a LOT the first two years to get people to just leave me the fuck alone.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Oh, sure, for a red-headed hottie being crazy works okay. When you're like me and you have The Vibe (tm), it can get you booted from places - school, work, college, church, malls, you name it.

11:25 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

All you say of HS is true, Kira. But outside of high school, upon reaching adulthood and gaining experience, I had far more tools to combat bullying then when I was a teenybopper.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think my school [private anglican girls] is quite as compeitive as yours, but i get that feeling sometimes.

People outside my group think i'm crazy - but probably a bad kind of crazy. Luckily i never felt the need to justify myself or my actions to anyone who wants to judge me.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Hey, Kira -- go home and stop bothering us, you weirdo freak! ;)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

Being is crazy is so much more fun than being "normal" - whatever that is!

11:38 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Baaaaa. (See, I was a goat in an earlier life, so I.....)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Mooing during sex...interesting. Did your wife ever discuss that or did she just let it slide?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

It only goes to show you have to be true to yourself. You can't make yourself popular by pretending to be someone else. If people don't accept and like you for who you are they can go and...

Good for you, we are all a little crazy. :)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Grant--yes, that's why I'm glad I don't have your cooties. I couldn't get away with ANY of the shit I do otherwise ;)

X.dell--Hmmm yes, I suppose that as we grow older we learn more ways to deal with certain situations. I guess I just learned ok how to deal with it in high school pretty fast, so it wasn't any worse than adult life :)

Fatty--the only kind of bad crazy is when you try to hurt other people or get stalkerish, basically. You don't seem like the type to do either, so I suppose you'll have to be good crazy. I like crazy in people because it is less predictable, and when all of life is predictable, it gets boring! That's why I'm sure GRANT would be a GREAT CATCH (you have no idea how much money he's paying me to say that...)

Joe--awww you wuv me baby ;)

Jezzy--I have seen normal, and normal is dull. I choose to reject normal.

SC--it could be worse. You could have been on top and shouted out, "I CHOOSE YOU PIKACHU!" *whistles innocently*

Hoss--I had no idea we had so much in common! Moo, moooooo moo moo mooooo!

Laura--if she's smart, she just let it go. Discussing it only encourages them, don't you think? ;)

Suze--thanks! And I think you're right. I think we ARE all a little crazy. It's just that some people actually try to hide it. Gees, what's the fun in that?

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

fuzzy..heartwarming feel...

felt that on this post...

charming!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home