My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Vin et fromage et pain...the holy trinity!

So on Friday night, I drove back to my place with Alex and the kids. It was the first time Alex has been back to the apartment in a while...since I think we went to the Clemson/Duke football game with Amanda and Angie, actually! Every weekend or time off we've either gone to visit folks or I've gone down to Columbia, so he's just not been back up this way for a while. The kids were supposed to see their father Friday night and Saturday night, with us picking them up on Sunday night, but my ex (long story) decided it was best for Saturday morning and Sunday evening for the trade off times.

After dropping off the children at 9a, we decided to plot out a day of hedonism. We settled on lunch at a nice seafood place (Flat Rock...it's a chain, but there's only something like six of them so likely most of you guys have never heard of it), a movie (X-men 3, which we both enjoyed...that was a pleasant surprise since the director changed), then a stop at Total Wine and More (finest wine chain I have access to! Great place!), plus a stop at Whole Foods. Greenville has only recently opened up a Whole Foods, and I'm glad since they needed a place that has good cheese to replace the Earth Fare that closed.

I have finally read enough about wines to be able to not embarrass myself in front of a wine expert. In fact, depending on if the wine expert is very familiar with French wines, I have a chance of knowing more. That pleases me immensely. For instance, the wine person at Whole Foods yesterday who was setting out a sample of a white wine and a red wine for everybody was chatty and friendly. She knew a hell of a lot more than me, but not about Rhone wines! She tried to tell me that the spanish wine tasted like a Rhone wine...and I corrected her after tasting it that it was more like a SOUTHERN Rhone wine, not northern, because there wasn't a hint of syrah/shiraz grape in there...nor that pleasant spiciness and boldness that the Northern Rhones tend to get due to the fermenting of the grapes WITH the stems and such. It was vaguely similar to a southern Rhone, though, mostly because it was a single varietal wine with that grape being Grenache, which is a major grape used in the Southern Rhone and...ok, I've bored you all. Never mind. Let's just say that afterwards I just was very, very excited that I could contribute to a wine conversation!

Most of the wine we picked up, we picked up at Total Wine and More. I decided that I'm going to work on my phobia over pink wines. My entire phobia over pink wines is the whole "it's Boone's Farm! It's a white zinfandel!" thing. I don't like sweet wines unless it's a dessert wine (I like a nice sauterne, for instance). But, of course there are dry rose wines...I just haven't tried any. We purchased one at the recommendation of the wine guy at Total Wine, and it's in the refrigerator ready to go now. Summer is the time to drink rose anyway. It's as good of a time as any to get over my phobia!

Whole Foods is a tremendous grocery store. It's basically Kira heaven. There is WHOLE FRESH DUCK there...WHOLE GUINEA FOWL too!!!! WOW! Alex nearly died as duck and guinea fowl--common in France, but hard to find here--are two of his favorites. They had a fabulous cheese selection, and we splurged on four cheeses (three of which actually matched well the wine we were drinking, but the fourth--although excellent--interfered with the wine's taste and had to be eaten seperately). They also had a great bakery!!!! Oh yeah! We brought home a baguette, plus two chocolate goodies.

I am definitely a glutton. If my metabolism weren't so good, I would weigh 200 lbs or more easily. I can't stand to not savor good food every day of my life. I tell you true: good lunch, enjoyable movie, wine and cheese shopping, then home to enjoy the wine, cheese, chocolate, and bread...oh yeah. Heaven. That really is heaven.

If I ever get to a point in my life wherein I'm comfortable with money, I'm going to shop at Whole Foods a LOT. Total Wine and More and Whole Foods are conveniently located across from each other...mmmmm...too much temptation in one location! Hedonism: it's not just for breakfast anymore!

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

By Jusilin's cock!
That was a tremendous day/evening!!

And I enjoyed the food network. Great Chateau neuf du Pape btw :D

8:05 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

HAHAHAHA! Oh man, by Jusilin's cock! How appropriate...since nobody else here will get that, I'll just state that Jusilin is a god in a pantheon that I created for a ton of stories I wrote long ago...Jusilin makes Dionysis or Baccus look meek, shy, and prudish.

And yes, now you've seen an actual Emeril's show! That was a requirement since you ate his food in Las Vegas, you know!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

I nickname I've heard around here for Whole Foods is "Whole Paycheck." Of course, I still call the local one "Wellhung" instead of Wellspring.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I've gotten to where I refer to the local Whole Foods as just "the grocery." The only places I buy food are there and the とまと (tomato) store. WF may be expensive, but I feel better when I eat all organics and avoid processed foods loaded with sugar.

10:00 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(1) Whole Foods is really popular up here too. Some people refuse to shop anywhere else, despite the priciness.

(2) I'm not a wine drinker, but I've had the pleasure of sipping some good ones, thanks to a friend of mine who, like you, is a redhead and quite a wine expert.

(3) Ah, a loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and fifty thou.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Joe--yes, whole paycheck sounds about right. Of course, when one is an adjunct teacher, does one really need much for it to be the whole paycheck?

Grant--mostly I get particular about having BGH in my milk. They started adding that in around the time Ariana was drinking milk, and I said fuck no. Nobody is experimenting on MY kids to see how a new hormone into their system affects them! So, I buy organic milk. When I actually make money one day, though, I think I'd like to shop at this store exclusively. The meats and produce were JUST SO PRETTY!!!! Yum!

X.dell--#3 was a new one on me...haha! I'd be an extra happy woman if I had THOSE three items. I can understand why if one really DOES have the extra money to spend, one would want to shop at that store. However, I'm really not at that point yet. I'll have to make it a treat until that time comes!

Amanda--I'm so confused. Whole Foods...is ACROSS THE STREET from Total Wine and More. You can SEE one from the other practically! How come Green's was closer? Green's is still nice in the liquor area as they have a few things that Total's liquor part doesn't have (like Mandarine Napoleon). However, Total's wine selection is a) bigger and b) cheaper, so I really try to just do all my wine shopping there now. Plus, sometimes in the paper they have COUPONS for Total Wine and More...stuff like, $1 off any wine over $10 or somesuch. They have wine classes...wanna go? They even have a whole wine tasting ROOM in the back! Woohoo!

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could only pick one thing to eat and one thing to drink for the rest of my life, I'd pick wine and chocolate. Total Wine & More is definitely the best place ever. =o)

So X-Men 3 is good, huh? I think I'm taking Matthew next week. He's dying to see it.

7:48 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

Now I'm hungry.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

A.hem...I suppose that makes it a social sin that I am bummed because Boonesfarm no longer makes "Wild Mountain"?

I used to get the stuff in the real stone bottles, too, but it was too dry to suit me. I like sweet wines...or maybe I like cheap wines..LOL

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home