My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Just Checkin' In



In entertainment news, Mickey Roarke suddenly declined to reprise his role as Marv, causing studios to scramble for a hasty replacement.

(Ok, sorry, Grant made me do that! haha!)

That picture is my dear Ariana in Grant's coat. She thought it was so ultimately cool that she had to try it on too. It's twice as big and twice as heavy as she is, for the record!

On the way down to Tampa, we stopped and saw Grant in Atlanta. He always talks and talks and talks about a specific Japanese restaurant on his blog all the time. It appears that he actually lives there. Well, he took us there and I have to say...it's all he claims it is! I had some of the better sushi I've ever had there, and truly, it was a bargain price-wise too. I loved meeting him, and Alex and I will definitely return sometime to pester him in the future. In fact, I think that's why he let us escape his lair this time: he's lulling us into a false sense of complacency so that we will be unsuspecting when we next visit! It's partially his fault we were late when we arrived in Tampa. I didn't want to stop talking to him, and the kids and the cat were playing happily in his bachelor pad. The other part of the reason we arrived late was IT WAS FRICKIN' ATLANTA! My god. Accidents on I-75 kept us going at less than 5 mph for way too long, adding on a chunk of time to the journey. I thought we would get there between 9 and 10p; we ended up arriving at 1130p. Oh well. We surivived!

I've had lots of good food so far, and I was happy to hang out with Lee, Rob, and Madella yesterday while mom and dad did grandparent things with the kids. Yes, we miss Alex, but we're still having a great time! Another reason to love Lee: she referenced me as "skinny" once yesterday. Aw hell I'm not, but I love her for saying it :) haha!

One of the things that is sort of brooding on my mind now is a situation that I don't remember creating nor desiring. What do you do when every one of your high school buddies is aware--way more than you are--that a mutual friend STILL has something for you and still carries something for you in his heart? He's married, he has children, but his wife still feels threatened by me...and something I have never noticed (HAH! Remember, I only notice if a man is hitting on me or interested if he strips nude and gyrates on my hips asking me to do him)...he apparently reacts strongly to my presence. I was sitting there protesting to them and saying I didn't DO anything to encourage that, and they all reassured me that they knew it was fact, but...still the situation exists. When I pointed out how happy I am with Alex, and that alone should make the wife not feel threatened, I was told the obvious that my dumb head didn't understand: what woman wants to share space in her husband's heart with another woman? Ok, yeah, I guess so. Sigh.

I don't want you to think I have low self-esteem. I don't. I think I'm pretty ok. However, I do NOT understand how a guy can be interested in me for so long. All right, I'm cool. But I'm not THAT great! Why on Earth would a guy still find me interesting after really getting to know me like that and knowing me for decades? I'm a pain in the ass! I just happen to be the RIGHT type of pain in the ass to make Alex happy is all...haha!

Lee's coming over for dinner and she's bought my favorite Gigondas in the whole wide world for us to drink. I can't wait! Lee also wants to take me to a sushi restaurant this week, and I think I'll be eating at one when I get back and have dinner with Chuck. It's probably the most sushi I've had in this short of a time, but I could honestly eat it every day, so that's fine! We have plans to go to the beach with the kids one day too, and mom wants to take me shopping. Translation: mom thinks my wardrobe is sadly lacking and wants to purchase stuff for me. Who am I to stop her?

Ok, so to finish things off, here's a couple of lines somebody sent me in an email today:

Embarrassing my children: just one more service I offer.

I'm not fluent in idiot, so speak slowly and clearly.

My parents said I could be anything I wanted, so I became an asshole.

Rehab is for quitters!

I'm not an alcoholic; I'm a drunk! Alcoholics go to meetings.

...aaaand now I'm off to snack on some of this great dip my mom made. I get my love of food from her. She's always making something yummy. This is a great vacation!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww - Ariana is so cute! I can just picture her when she finally gets to make her dream of going to the top of the Eiffel Tower come true. =o)

Maybe the wife can see you and Alex together soon, and then she'll realize you yourself are not the threat or the problem. It's the fantasy created by her husband that's the threat, so there's only one person she really needs to resent about it.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Excellent. The robot clones are in play, and nobody knows the real Kira et. al. are locked up in my root cellar. Phase one is complete. Phase two shall begin immediately, as long as I can avoid accidentally leaking information about phase one to Kira's blogpals and fiance.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Sushi every day, huh? I could go for that. I really could.

So someone holds a torch for you? Next time you see them, start rummaging around in your purse and say out loud and with an annoyed tone of voice..."Damn it! I thought I had my Valtrex refilled. Shit".

Ariana looks like she's ready for the run way.

Have fun on the rest of your trip!

1:39 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Now all Ariana needs is a motorcycle. (Hint, hint to the grandparents.)

About the guy: Dye your hair blonde. Then he'll know you can't possibly be serious about anything.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

according your logic i am thankfully not a chocoholic. people keep telling me i am but i just dont see it - its not like i crave chocolate all the time.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

I think I'm pretty ok. However, I do NOT understand how a guy can be interested in me for so long. All right, I'm cool. But I'm not THAT great! Why on Earth would a guy still find me interesting after really getting to know me like that and knowing me for decades?

You know, some people I could say they're just stupid. Not Kira. And some people I could say thy're being disingenuous. Probably not Kira either. Or maybe she's naive? Well, maybe not. So what is the problem here, folks? It's a mystery. ;)

7:48 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

hey kira,
cute daughter...
some guys are tenacious. A man in Germany just passed away who has had a thing for my mother for 60 years...

so hang in there. you might be in for the long haul..

10:15 AM  
Blogger Chief Slacker said...

I think almost everyone, not jsut guys has that little piece of heart still saved for some crush they had at some point in their life. The problems arise when you talk about it, especially to lady friends. You women definitely tend to be the jealous type. even if it is for that little tiny piece ;O)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--I asked my parents about the adoption. They just laughed. Don't worry; that's just the warm up to get them used to the idea ;)

Angie--the only problem with that theory is that the wife HAS seen Alex and I together. In fact, before I was aware of the extent of the problem, they got to see us together last Christmas season. I was all over Alex as per usual, and although I talked to her husband, I usually did so with Alex right next to me or in a group. It's SO obvious that I'm not trying to snatch him up. I just feel sort of rotten because it's one of those situations wherein I can't help how she feels about me...I understand WHY she feels that way about me...and yet I've done nothing wrong. Bleh. Oh well.

Grant--I hear, Master Grant, and obey. What is your bidding?

Laura--LMAO! Yes, that might work. I will have to remember to bring an empty prescription bottle in my purse next time :)

Hoss--the hair dying might not do it for that reason. I tried to dye my hair blonde one year, and let me tell you, I was meant to be a redhead, NOT a blonde. I just don't have the right skin color for it unless it's a darker strawberry blonde. So, I COULD INDEED dye my hair again and scare him off with my hideousness :)

Fatty--I think that if you can live a few days without chocolate and have no adverse effects, you're not a chocoholic...but that doesn't mean you don't want it every day nor crave it. Hell, what woman in possession of her full facilties would NOT want chocolate? :)

Joe--what is the problem with what? Why I'm not aware how on earth a guy would be interested in me for so long? :P I guess for me, even though I see my positives--good sense of humor, smart, loyal, etc.--I also am very aware of my negatives, having lived in this body my whole life. No, I'm not gonna list off my negatives :) Let's not give the world ammo...haha! Still, this means that although I can understand why a guy might be interested, I don't see how I'm able to support long term interest when there are plenty of other cool women out there to hit upon.

Schaumi--SIXTY YEARS??? Oh, shit....

CS--long time no see! You know, I do realize that it's not just guys who sometimes find a special person and never let go completely. I just...have never done that myself. The worst case scenario I've ever encountered was a crush that lasted a couple of years, but I don't even THINK of that guy anymore typically unless somebody brings up his name or something directly related to him. As far as women being jealous, though, yeah...unfortunately, I've seen THAT too much in my life to argue it!

1:57 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(1) Now that you've met Grant, is there actually any similarity between him and his blog personna?

Sorry, Grant. I've always been curious.

(2) That's cool that the two of you got to meet. I have this dream where we all meet on some stage in Stockholm, after the Nobel Literature committee creates a special category for blogging.

(3) Parents often embarrass their kids, but I never realized that they were performing a service. I always thought that parents were just kinda clueless.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home