My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Why My Daughter is Superior

When I see other people's children in action, I often cringe, hoping desperately that's not how MY precious kids come across. But then again, how could they? These kids have been raised to be selfish and rude. Mine say please and thank you and are considerate (they don't do sir and ma'am, but that's because I have always been annoyed by that particular type of politeness for some reason). Mine are adored by other parents and begged to be brought back because they are so sweet. Yes, yes, it is true: my children totally rock.

Now, I will make an exception for Andrew. Andrew is Ariana's "boyfriend." This little boy is the most considerate, kind-hearted, empathetic little boy in the universe. I am amazed by him. I have no idea what Ariana told him about my financial situation, but after Andrew arrived, he made a point of catching me alone in my room. I shit you not. And then he said, very solemnly, I have $20. I would like to give you $20 to help pay for things today. I looked up from tying my shoes, surprised, and said, Andrew? It's ok, honey. I set aside money for today. You can each get a Build-a-bear, and I've got it covered. His reply? "Well, I get an allowance. I have $60 saved already. It's really ok. I'd like you to take the $20 to help out." WOW! Folks, he's NINE. By then, I had finished tying my shoes and I stood up to smile at him. "Andrew, it's all right. I swear. I would be happy to take care of things today. Why don't you save that $20 to buy stuff for your Build a Bear instead?" He nodded, just as seriously, and then went out to find Ariana and her other friend.

I had a long talk with Andrew's mom today and now have a clear picture in my head as to why Andrew is absurdly mature and aware for a nine-year-old boy. He had a brother, two years older than him, who was special needs. This child was like an infant for his entire life, so as Andrew matured and his brother did not, Andrew automatically wanted to step in and help out with his older brother. With tears in her eyes, Andrew's mom described exactly how paternal and caring Andrew had been for the son they had lost. Then she described how three years ago, the brother died. He had just passed right before Andrew came home from school, and he had to see the body of his dead brother...whom he had taken care of for years. Sniff! We also agreed that both Andrew and Ariana would give another child the shirts off their backs if they were in need, and both of them were abnormally giving for small children.

Which brings me to the other part of this post.

The little girl Ariana had chosen to take as her second friend to this event (only two! Are you kidding me? do you know how expensive these damned stuffed animals are?) had been given some money to spend at the place to get Ariana her birthday present. This girl then decided she really wanted to spend the money on herself and give Ariana nothing for a birthday present instead. She basically knew her mother had given her the money for a present, but she was enticed by wanting to purchase more stuff for herself. So she asks Ariana if it's ok to do that, and Ariana immediately tells her that a present is unimportant to her compared to her best friend's happiness. And that this child should, indeed, spend the money on herself instead. When Ari came up and told me this with a grin, I hugged her tightly, feeling very emotional. "But mom! Things just aren't as important as her happiness. So, if she's happy, I'm happy. And that's ok," she replied, surprised by how much I squeezed the life out of her with the intensity of my hug. And then I whispered fiercely into her ear, "I am so very honored to be your mother. You are a beautiful soul, and I am prouder of you than words can possibly express." I was vaguely angry at the girlfriend for being so selfish. But that part was not my business. My business is my daughter's happiness on her birthday, and she was definitely happy. In fact, she giggled and seemed vaguely confused as to why I was so proud of her over it. She didn't do this for attention; she genuninely did it because things do NOT matter as much to her as seeing her friends happy.

Later on, two neighborhood girls came over the second they saw us return from the store. They got cake with the other kids, and ice cream, and then became royal pains in the asses. "I'm gonna leave if I don't get my way!" "I don't like this, I want something else!" "Give me that!" My nerves were then shot, so I was relieved when their fathers came to fetch both girls. Whew! Murder was about to take place.

My daughter's had a great day. She's nine. She has a Build a Bear she really wanted. And she had a nice day with her friends. Oh, and Andrew picked out the SWEETEST CARD for her, plus brought THREE presents for her (just what she wanted, too...good job Andrew!), so to her? Life is perfect. I hope I can help her keep that feeling because this little girl is amazing. And I AM honored to be her mother.

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

*sighs happily*
And I am honored to be her dad :D

I am in awe at the difference between Andrew and her friend. I am not mad at the girl because she is young and doesn't realise what she did. But between Andrew buying her presents and wanting to give you his money, and the other girl buying presents for herself instead of Ari...WOW, what a difference.

Ok, so when do we get to marry them off? Perhaps we should enquire as to how the japanese, indiands or koreans still do arranged marriages and do the same...

5:13 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Ari!

I'm in love with Andrew too. After you arrange Ari and Andrew's marriage, I'd like an adult version of Andrew. I understand that he will be imported as we have no men of this caliber in the U.S. Well, at least none who are alive, single and straight. ;)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Happy Birthday, Ariana!

(Kira, invite me to their wedding, too).

Oh...Ariana...hang on to this one.

6:40 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

yes, happy birthday ariana.

and how could your progeny fail to wonderful kira, with a mum like you?

9:10 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Happy Birthday a day late. You do good work, Kira, but we already knew that.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Your children are some kind of abnormal mutants. Lucky you. If I ever want children, I think I'll just whack you and take them.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Is that the Grant? I thought he had quit. Anyway, how's the semester?

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the Build-a-Bear party went well and that Ari has such good tastes in boyfriends. Tell her happy birthday for me! =o)

7:09 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Cool that your daughter has the maturity not to be irked by the selfishness of others. But the reason behind her boyfriend's thoughtfulness is kinda shocking. For him, it would have been great simply not to have withdrawn after enduring that kind of trauma.

Build a bear? That's something I'm not accustomed to. I'm gonna look into it, though.

10:01 PM  
Blogger April said...

So Ethan has some stiff competition for Ari's hand in marriage. =)

She's amazing because she's YOUR daughter.

Happy belated birthday Ari!!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Kira, you just messed up my mascara. You should warn people before they read a post like that! Happy birthday to your sweet baby.

1:02 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Now that was an awesome post! My guess is that you raised your daughter to be the way she is. She sounds like a wonderful old soul....


Peace,

~Chani

8:11 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

That's fantastic. Great post.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

Proud parental blog posts are very cute. x

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You almost make me want to have children. I think I would if I knew they would be as mature and loving and kind and smart. Kudos to your daughter and her choice of a "boyfriend"

5:42 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Just dropping by to say hello. Hoping you and the family are enjoying the holiday season. But I'm guessing you're in a frenzy of slave grading at the moment.

Ah, the good old days.

7:29 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Ariana for President in, oh, uh, 2032?

5:05 PM  
Blogger Chian said...

Aaaaaugh! You have abandoned me yet again. Feel guilt, evil short person!

Any why aren't you responding to your blogpals' comments?

1:59 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Alex--since we'll never find another boy whom you deem worthy of Ariana, we really DO have to stick with this one, eh? You'll just chase the other ones off!

Amanda--the main advantage of the Andrew clone over the Alex clone is that the Andrew clone probably won't have to be tweaked to make him taller. Andrew looks like he'll be one tall fellow later on in life!

Laura--you got it! We'll definitely invite you.

Cookie--you're such a suck up! But I like it. Do continue :)

FW--Thanks! I can only take credit for encouraging what already was in the kids, though.

Grant--hmmm. You already have my cat right now. Is this part of the plan?

EotR--Grant isn't really blogging except to occasionally check in on some people's blogs. I can personally testify that he really DOES work seven days a week now at his job to get these various projects done. He takes weekends off (!) occasionally to visit with us when we come down. The semester went well. Grading for four classes is much easier than grading for six.

Angie--sure thing! You've got children so you understand--it's always a huge fear that your child will pick out somebody who treats them poorly and fall in love with him or her. I'm HOPING (let me cross my fingers here) that her taste in boys right now will last through adulthood instead of shift!

X.dell--you're right. MOST kids would have just withdrawn after such a trauma. For him, it made him grow so much as a person. He's a neat kid. And I hope your holidays are good too! I actually finished up grading last week, but we went to Grant's for an extended weekend, so I'm WAAAY behind on my blogging.

April--yes, he does, but we're holding onto the cheesehat just in case :)

Juanita--I'm relieved to know it made you cry too. I was sniffing off and on all day too! haha!

TG--thanks! I've had quite a few of my friends remark that instead of an old soul, my daughter is an ancient one. She just "gets it" as far as what is important and what matters, and she saves worries for what really matters.

NWJR--thanks!

Jezzy--...and you KNOW there's plenty more where that came from, eh? haha!

MR--My best friend since I was 13, Lee, told me something similar a couple years ago. She said she had no desire to have children at all. However, when she saw my kids, she realized that if there were a way to guarantee that they came out like THAT, she'd have kids. Haha! I used to joke when Ari was an infant and had colic that she was effective birth control. Now it seems she does the reverse :)

Hoss--Well, yes, but only if you want things done RIGHT in America! :)

Chian--awww poor kitty! Mommy will come and get you in a week and a half!

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home