My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Go Cocks!

Ariana has to do a scrapbooking project for school. There are several different sections, all related to South Carolina. The current section that she must do is to find three South Carolina songs and write something personal about each one. Ari and I puzzled over which songs we could have her do that she'd be able to cover. Finally, I figured out two of them: the SC fight song and the Clemson fight song. I figured she could write about how both her parents have degrees from SC, yet her mother currently works at Clemson, and how she's been to both campuses, etc. Ari loved this idea, so we decided to head to the scrapbooking store here in our small town to find some USC and Clemson stickers. No problem. In SC, school rivalries are taken seriously, so you can pretty much find anything USC or Clemson anywhere in the state.

After leaving the store, Ariana and Jared started talking about the mascots. It was inevitable, I suppose. Ariana started saying in the loudest voice possible, "It's COCKS! Cocks. It's not a rooster, Jared, it's a COCK! COCK! DO YOU HEAR ME??? COCK!"

Ahem.

How does one explain this situation to a child? Additionally, how does one explain this to a child...without laughing one's arse off???

So, clearing my voice, I explained to Ariana that she should be careful about using that word because it has two meanings. "One is a type of fowl, called the gamecock. The other...well, it's slang for a man's penis. So, if you are just shouting out 'cock' all over the place, people might think you're a very rude little girl."

Ariana was horrified. Changing her previous stance, she pleaded, "Can't we just say rooster then?"

"No," I started to explain, "A rooster isn't very fierce. A gamecock, however, IS. They are especially trained for fighting. In fact, even though in many states it's illegal, there's cockfighting all over the place..."

Alex tried to keep a straight face. He failed. Laughing, then the kids did too as they had a visual image of...well, not the fowl type of cock, fighting. "AHAHAHAHA! Oh Mommy, that's so funny...cockfighting...AHAHAHA!"

Sigh. There's really no hope for any offspring of mine, is there?

****

So, my cat has only woken me up one (1) time in the middle of the night since we returned from Grant's over a week ago. I still can't figure out why Chian was so determined that Grant never sleep. Oh well. Maybe he just loves creepy ones more than me and hence needs to play with them all night long.

****

Classes start tomorrow for me. I was trying to get organized for the first day of classes. I am getting tired of the repetative opening intro lecture that I've now given for the last four years, even though each time I tweak it and change it. I know that part of it is just that first day, too, wherein you see the personality of each class. I'll have two classes to meet tomorrow, then two on Thursday. Tonight, I have to set up my courses on Blackboard. Even though I became quite comfortable working on Blackboard this last semester, Angie was the one who set up my courses on there the first time, so I will have to muddle through it tonight to figure out how to do it. At least this term I start out with a) paychecks immediately and b) in the system for email and Blackboard. That should make life easier.

****

I'm used to Alex being around me. It's been around four weeks since we've spent a night apart. I could get used to this. I am NOT looking forward to him disappearing this weekend for his classes next week. Sigh. Just a few more months, though, and he's here for good...just a few more months...

It's easier on the kids to have him here too. Jared and Ari will be very upset when he leaves. Five months is a long time to small children...eternity, almost.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It didn't help that I asked the kids to sout out the word cock as lound as possible before you explained that...I thought it was funny :D

I will miss you too dearest. The nights will be very lonely...No security "blanket" for you ;)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I could insert some lame USC joke here, but I won't. ;)

I've enjoyed these few weeks with no students and almost no faculty. The university is much nicer with everyone gone. Well, everyone except you and Kris. I've missed both of you!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since my classes are in Daniel this time, I will be around tomorrow. So, if you want me to help you set them up again, just let me know. I've got office hrs from 11-12, and I'm in 516.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Yeah! Go cocks! I have this fencing like mental image of a "cock fight". Tee hee.

Grant clearly did not deserve to sleep. Chian knew.

Repetition is good for the students. They thrive with predictability. It doesn't matter what age they are. But a new semester is a good incentive for you to shake it up for YOU.

Sorry Alex is leaving. You'll still see him and the kids will adapt. Tough it out. It'll be over before you know it.

Happy new year!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Forgot one thing....

Let me know when you're coming by to see me, and I'll bring your Christmas presents from the DIALs. ;)

5:59 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

You still didn't update your links, lazy-butt. Tell your students you can't teach them until you've first done some blog maintenance.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

I second everything Larita said. I think we think alike. Why is that?

10:05 AM  
Blogger April said...

That's too funny!! You tell it so well that I can just imagine Ari's face when you told her the other meaning.

You asked which restaurant I ate at in Tampa, Rock Salt Grill or Salt Rock Grill. One of the two. It was VEEEEEERY good.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Sounds like it's time to put some more money in the Kids' Therapy Fund. :) BTW, some roosters are really aggressive assholes, whether they've reached "cock" status or not.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

You couldn't pick "Carolina in the Morning"?..LOL!

Roosters are MEAN.

It's why there is usually only one to a pen.

Enjoy him while you have him and it will only be a little while and he will be back.

Hug him for me.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

My son has been yelling NUTS lately. But that doesn't have anything to do with cocks, does it?


Should I worry?

6:09 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Alex--I'm already missing you. I'm back to counting down the days until Friday again.

Amanda--I don't think that, as a teacher, I will ever get to experience that joy. I imagine it actually gives you some time to catch up on the work there, but I'm probably wrong.

Angie--thanks again for helping me with the Blackboard!

Laura--the awful part was, the second they all giggled, that visual popped into my head too, and I made a wholly inappropriate but funny demonstration of my vision...we won't go into that part, though ;)

Grant--I did a leeeetle bit of blog maintenence, but I'm too lazy to complete the job. Deal with it!

Juanita--um...because you are both magnificent and amazing?

April--I googled it so I could stare at the menu. I'd eat everything on there. YUM! I've been to that area a lot because that was one of the closer beaches to Tampa, but I've never actually eaten at that restaurant. I might have to fix that the next time I'm down!

Joe--fortunately, I think the interest accumulated from the other donations might cover the therapy necessary ;)

Val--yes, I hugged him repeatedly for you!

EotR--I think it's probably natural for a boy to yell out NUTS! Well, unless he bursts out into gales of giggles afterwards like my daughter after the word "cockfight" was mentioned.

6:54 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

You know, you could tell Ari that it's short for Gamecocks (whatever the hell that is). Anything dirty is within the imagination of the puerile and deviant.

Of course, I'll always treasure the headline I once read after Maryland beat them in a closely contested basketball game: "Terps Lick Cocks in Overtime."

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home