My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Cell Phone Manners


I'm sorry, but it just pisses me off to be talking to somebody who is trying to text at the same time. When I was a teen, I used to get all pissy if I were on the phone (believe me, that's a big enough deal since I hate the phone) and the person I was talking to focused on the TV or something else.


I think we're becoming like Wall-E showed the future on that stupid ship. Everybody there was staring at a screen and talking to folks through a screen instead of face to face. I've seen so many of my students--and also my nieces in particular, but not my nephews so much--just sit there with lots of good company and text all of their friends intently on their cell phones. I should have the legal right to toss the phone out of the window at that point.


Or toss it to the ground and smash on it if a person uses his or her cell phone while paying for groceries. What, is that cashier your slave? Ring it up, bitch, and I'll take my bags, since you are nothing! And in a restaurant? When a companion is sitting across the table from you? Sorry, unless the phone call is, "The babysitter just kidnapped your children. Come home immediately," don't talk!


I love technology of various sorts, but cell phones really leave a lot of room for rudeness. And that's why I tend to not give out my cell phone number. It's for emergencies to me. If others want to use it as their main phone, fine! But please be considerate of those around you. Who ever wants to set aside time for somebody only to have them text and talk to somebody else off and on the whole time? Only somebody with no self-esteem.


In short, phones suck. Thank you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

I've been meaning to comment on this for like three hours, but I keep getting interrupted by IMs and things on IRC. :) Seriously, it seems so rude when I see people on cellphones trying to talk to 2 people at one time. I've seen signs in a couple businesses asking people to turn off their cellphones when checking out, but I imagine that will backfire. Anyway, I'm starting to hate cellphones to the point that I don't think I'll ever get one if I can help it. I feel like I'm watching They Live, with Rolexes replaced by cellphones.

What about reading? What if your nieces were reading instead of texting? I got called down for that once by an uncle.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Laurita said...

My niece can read a book, text and eat all at the same time.

Having been without a cell phone for years, I'm enjoying having one. It has come in handy. I'm out of cell phone habit, though. People don't call me on it often and I may use it three times per week, max.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

My cell is my primary phone, but I don't answer it at work or when I'm in meetings or when I'm with people (or much of the rest of the time, as I, too, hate the phone, any phone) unless it's a daughter or babysitter calling, or, if the kids are with the ex, it's the ex's number (because then it's probably TigerGrrl). I can't stand the "I have to be hooked up all the time" mentality. Yup, let's crush those suckers. And turn off the ringer in class and meetings.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know, Matthew opted NOT to go spend the night with his friend the other night because they wouldn't have been able to play Halo online? I mean, the two of them looked at me and the other kid's mom like, "Are you two mad? Spend the night with only one Internet connection????" They chose virtual contact over face-to-face!

Wow.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Angie--I'm not surprised. I've seen this trend with teens and young adults! I don't understand it, but I've seen it.

Joe--cell phones only take over your life if you let them. And reading should be fine as long as you're not doing it when you're supposed to be spending time with somebody else. I thought it was cool that my nieces Allegra and Giselle (and my daughter) took time at night to unwind and read rather than socialize with the others, but that's because they had already hung out with everybody before that point and time.

Laura--cell phones ARE useful. They're a pain in the ass, though, when you're with somebody who can't put it down...like it's crack or something. I use mine to keep in touch with Alex in Rock Hill (it's free if we call each other on our phones) and to use for emergencies. That's about all I want it for.

FW--definitely turn it off in class and meetings. And by 'turn it off,' I mean EVEN THE VIBRATE FUNCTION. I can still hear that, and it derails my train of thought in class as I speak. It's incredibly rude.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Juanita said...

AMEN, SISTER!

I fear that the niece to which Laurita refers is my daughter. Yep, she's a master texter.

There's nothing worse than hearing the sound of my cell phone ring. I have a serious aversion to it, kind of anti-Pavlovian, if that makes sense.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Feisty Frida said...

I was the ultrasound clinic when I was pregnant, and there were blaring signs everywhere saying to not use a cell phone in there as it interferes with equiptment...and there was a woman yacking and yacking on her cell phone...If I hadn't been pregnant, I would've reached over and thrown that phone across the room, it was extremely irritating.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I don't answer my phone - or even texts - when I go home (and sometimes at work!). I don't even log in to my messengers anymore. I just want the world to go away. There's no need to be constantly connected to anyone for any reason. So, smash the phone next time!

10:40 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I never learned how to text, for fear that I might try it.

Geesh, I can hardly believe that people can be with YOU and meanwhile text to SOMEBODY ELSE. No brainiacs there.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Juanita--I'm right there with you. I cringe whenever I hear my phone going off. That's why I leave it off so much. I had a really good friend fuss at me just last week, "that damned thing is a PAPERWEIGHT, not a phone" because I always have it off...haha!

FF--heck, I'm surprised that because you were pregnant that you COULD resist hurling the phone off! haha! I get twice as testy during my pregnancies. Pitty Alex if we successfully create #3...it won't be fun for him.

Amanda--yes, it's that constant connection. Who can take a break, a real vacation, while always tied up to some form of electronics?

Hoss--You'd probably be better at texting than I would be. So, if you ever do learn, you can give me some pointers. I could see an advantage to texting over using the actual phone (the convo is over quicker). My real complaint is those who rudely do it in front of people whose company they are supposedly trying to keep!

5:08 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

I don't know how I missed this post...but BRAVO. You said it exactly how I would have said it if I'd thought to say it first.

Or something.

Anyway, nicely done.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home