My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Thursday, July 07, 2005

100 Things About Me

I've seen a lot of people do this list (most recently Amanda), and so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

1) I love to curse. I make no effort to restrict myself except when around my kids. My kids still hear hell, crap, and damn but have been told that--like alcohol--there's an age minimum to use them. So far, that works.
2) I can't be convinced that cursing is 'bad' because, as an English major, I know the power of words is not the word itself but how one wields it. Therefore, there aren't any bad words or good words, only bad usage and good usage.
3) I love cheese, chocolate, and wine beyond words.
4) I confess: when I was an anorexic (see photo of me in red shirt), guys used to whistle at me when I drove my car and stuff, and it began to annoy me. So once in a while, when a guy pulled up and oggled, I deliberately picked my nose. It always worked to get him to stop looking...*coughs*
5) I am a complete geek (geek being...a nerd with social skills)
6) I have a phobia about speaking in any language other than English, which is why I stuck with Latin and Old English in school.
7) But now I'm dating a Frenchman, so I'm breaking out into hives while learning French. I find reading and writing it easier than speaking it, as per expected.
8) For a woman who is insanely picky about men, I sure as hell make some bad choices.
9) Except for Alex of course. We're up to about a dozen of my female friends begging me to clone him, so I know I finally hit gold! I really believe this man is "it."
10) Speaking of love, I have loved deeply, madly, passionately three times in my life.
11) For some odd reason, all three had black hair and blue eyes.
12) Sometimes I stare at my kids and my whole body and mind and heart and soul just fill up with love for them, and I think I'm going to burst or cry or something stupid.
13) Despite loving them so much, I admit fully that there are some times when both of them are screaming and fighting and I wish they were at their father's house instead of mine at that moment.
14) Then I remember what their father's house looks like, and I decide that's too cruel :)
15) I have no social filter that stops me from saying what I shouldn't. My mouth opens and whatever is on my mind flies out...even things like, "Damn you look awful in that dress," and other classics like, "Wow, you are truly the worst writer I've ever had the misfortune of encountering," or "Man, that was more like kissing a vacuum cleaner."
16) For some astounding reason, people know HOW to take me though and I still have friends. Haha!
17) I have two male friends whom I have actively wished I COULD fall in love with because they so totally rock. Now that I have Alex and am happy, it's not as much of an issue, but sometimes I stare at my man-choices and wonder what the hell's wrong with me that I could be pulled to jerks and not to these two terrific men. Go figure the female heart.
18) Math and foreign languages (spoken, not written) have always been my academic weaknesses.
19) I used to play roleplaying games every week with a bunch of geeks in high school. I was one of three girls who went (two of us regularly); there were about seven or eight guys. I miss those innocent days. We drank coke, ate pizza, played games, went to the movies...no sex or alcohol 'cause we were geeks, remember? haha!
20) I still keep in touch with every last one of those people.
21) For some unknowable reason, I can tell just about anyone any detail of my sex life he or she would want to know and not get embarrassed, but I get tongue tied when I try to explain my religious beliefs.
22) I can't dance, but I do it anyway.
23) Ditto for singing.
24) I can't draw. When I look at things like...well, like Hof's drawings...I'm amazed. I have pictures in my head but when I try to put them on paper, they crumble.
25) I have tried to play musical instruments in my life, and nothing has really worked. I tried piano and the hammered dulcimer. I loved the hammered dulcimer because I could screw up and it still sounded great...haha!
26) Sometimes I fear failure so much that I stumble all over myself and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
27) I started reading when I was three years old. It happened spontaneously. One day I couldn't read; the next day I could.
28) When I was four, I moved up to Reader's Digest and whatever was around the house. Apparently by the end of my fourth year, I was reading at a 12th grade level. I stare at my four year old run around my house and I think, what a freak I was. Well, still am.
29) Also when I was four, my mom was talking about the concept of reincarnation around me with a friend of hers. I listened to every word and then cried myself to sleep that night because I couldn't "remember" what I was nor could I enjoy the idea of not being able, next life, to not "remember" this life. We're back to: what kind of freaky four year old ponders that shit? haha!
30) I got into the Oz books when I was five. My sister's boyfriend told me, at age seven, that if I really wanted to read some good 'out there' stuff I needed to read HG Wells. He brought over War of the Worlds, Invisible Man, The Time Machine, and Food of the Gods. I read them all voraciously. Food of the Gods scarred me for life. When I stare at my seven year old who reads age appropriate books, I wonder what it would have been like to have normal experiences as a child.
31) But instead I didn't have but a friend or two sporatically in my life until I was ten. I wasn't antisocial; kids my age just didn't get me until I got older and so did they. I ended up hanging out at the adult table at parties my parents threw.
32) I started out life with blonde hair. Go figure. By 5 or 6 it was gone.
33) I am the youngest of four kids...by far. Next youngest is five years older than me.
34) My mom had three miscarriages between #3 and me. They wanted five children. Why? Catholic. Need I say more?
35) Because of the three miscarriages, I counted for four babies. Yes, I was spoiled.
36) I was raised in Tampa, Florida.
37) I graduated from Duke at 20 (young and confused) and then did temp work there because...I had no idea what I wanted to do out of life and hadn't figured it out yet.
38) Then I thought I'd try being a veterinarian and went back to school to take science and math courses.
39) This did not work out as I didn't like the animals dying. I still love animals a lot, though.
40) My daughter almost died when she was in my belly and I was in labor, and I had to have an emergency c-section.
41) Guilty confession: sometimes I stare at my kids or at Alex while they sleep because they look so angelic and wonderful.
42) Worse than that: sometimes I grope Alex in his sleep just to get him to 'react.' That was probably TMI.
43) Once, I cried at my ex because he wouldn't go for a fifth time that day and I thought that meant he found me unattractive. Needless to say, that was at the beginning of our relationship. TMI again? I told you I don't have a social filter.
44) I've never been longer than two weeks without a date since I turned 16.
45) I think that's a really, really bad thing.
46) I can't stand weak people. Especially weak women who faint and can't take care of themselves without a man in their lives.
47) I have a bad temper that I spend time restraining.
48) I have minimal patience.
49) I have more patience now that I have children....it used to be NO patience.
50) I was allergic to milk as a young child and was glad to get over it, but the end result is that I just don't drink milk straight up. Reminds me of vomiting I guess.
51) I don't diet.
52) I hate talking on the phone.
53) However, once on the phone reluctantly...I talk for hours.
54) I started writing my first story when I was 9. It was a story about how my mom fought off bad guys and rescued her family...my mother's day present to her.
55) For an impatient, strong-willed, tempermental woman...I sure as hell do have a damned soft heart.
56) I don't care what People On The Whole think.
57) But I care a lot about what those I love think.
58) I had braces when I was 13.
59) I never wore my retainer when I had them pulled off.
60) Hence, I could probably use braces again as I have a crossbite.
61) And I've embarrassed my dad by not wearing the retainer and having a relapse because...he's a retired dentist. Woops. Sorry dad!
62) I don't like pastels.
63) I only had three wisdom teeth. Never had a fourth one. Had to have those three removed because--contrary to popular belief--I have a small mouth.
64) I used to have an inverted left nipple that would only pop out if coaxed. Ariana breastfeeding fixed it. TMI again?
65) By the time that I met Amanda, I had decided there were no cool people in the upstate. She fixed it, and then introduced me to Angie and I realized...there are cool people here but I just have to HUNT for 'em...haha!
66) I love teaching because of the students.
67) Pay sucks though.
68) And dealing with rules always sucks at any job.
69) January 31, 2006 I will be old enough to run for president.
70) I believe I'm an amazing improvement over the current one we've got, so please vote for me.
71) I want to keep Alex forever and have another baby with him.
72) I have a C section scar across my abdomen. It's numb for about half an inch on either side of the scar, permanently.
73) And I have a freckle on my ass. My grandma used to sing to me when I bathed, "She's got a freckle on her but(t) I love her still!"
74) I don't regret my relationship with my ex. I got two great children and a HELL of a lot of writing ideas out of it...haha!
75) I am the most sarcastic optimist you will ever meet.
76) In fact, my Brit friend Gav told me I was too sarcastic for an American, and so he dubbed me an honorary Brit.
77) I annoy all my friends by making them be the ones to initiate contact with me. I have no idea why I'm like that.
78) But I try to make up for it by loving them to pieces when they DO contact me.
79) I'm really good and sensible with money. I can have practically no money and survive.
80) If I had to list off my talents, it would be: I am smart, I can cook really well, and uhhh...well, that's it. Haha!
81) Although if having a huge, soft, gushy heart is a talent, I've got one of those too.
82) I want to pretend I am bitter and realistic and all, but....the truth of the matter is, I made a decent social worker because I believe in the potential of people.
83) You have no idea how I wince to admit that I see good in nearly everyone.
84) I have a huge nurturing streak.
85) And I'm very protective of those I love. You should have seen the trail of bodies I left behind once when one of my foster kids had his wisdom teeth pulled and they wouldn't give him ice for the swelling nor his pain medication because he was in a DJJ facility *grins evilly* He got his ice. He got his pain medication.
86) At 5'2", I'm the tallest woman in my family. Scary!
87) I never have to worry about dating a man shorter than me unless I look for my men in the circus.
88) Another piece of info that crosses the sharing boundaries: I am so strong willed and dominant all the time that I prefer to be a sub in the bedroom :)
89) If I had to name my top three things to purchase with money, it would be vacations (I love to travel), good food, and books.
90) I have no fashion sense. If you like what I'm wearing, chances are good my sister picked it out for me. Or Alex.
91) I chop off my hair every two years for the Locks of Love program--wigs made of real hair for children cancer patients who lost their hair due to chemo. Great cause, that.
92) I'm due for another ten inches removed in September.
93) It's still long after ten inches going away...and then it takes two years to grow ten more inches.
94) I really thought that my experiences with men rendered me useless as far as love went.
95) Alex showed me that was a mistaken thought.
96) I know I spend too much time on the computer.
97) I have chronic back pains that seem to go away when Alex is around because he gives me nightly massages with special oil.
98) I got the pulled back in '92 when I lifted a pull out bed sofa after an adrenaline rush in order to save a cat who was stuck up in it. My back popped when I put the sofa down.
99) I used to have a 21 inch waist when I was in college. Children fixed that.
100) I am a total water baby and always have been. My childhood house was on a lake. My dream house is also on a lake one day so I can "return" to the water. I swim like a fish and once had my lifesaving certificate through the Red Cross.

Ok, that was enough fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jezzy said...

Fantastic list - one of the best that I've read - most are kinda boring. Anyway, I related to 2, 3, 5, 21, 26, 28, 41, 63, 73, 82, 83, and 96 and I'm totally jealous of 97. x

6:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kira is the best writer I know. She can make anything interesting. And I assure you that her niece was right: I can sit and listen to her for hours.
She does it for me too since I can talk just as much.

A few things about me related to the list:
I curse all the time but then again I am French so it's standard.
I am as bad a geek as Kira and I initiated her into being an anime geek .
I am a poor writer and embarrassed by making posts ;)
I think it's silly that people say they want to clone me. It's Kira who should be cloned: she brings out the best in me.
Kira was my first kiss :D
Kira can make me blush nearly at will.
Kira is a fantastic teacher...Damn I was supposed to be talking about me :P Bah, she is more interesting lol.

Just a few more: she is the love of my life and I would do whatever I need to do to be by her side.
Kira sings me a song that goes like this: you have a freckle on your cock, I love yu still... TMI :D
I am 5"7, tallest of my family and I wanted to be able to be taller than my girlfriend: I was built from ground up for Kira.
I am not sensible with money: Kira will control the wallet lol.
I love Jared and Ariana. They are fantastic and I am so proud and touched they love me back.
I love gaming: video games, roleplaying games...
I love movies and useless movie knowledge: long live IMDB.

Ok that's enough punishment :D
Hehehe

7:26 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

il est si charmant, ton petit ami.

really.

I also have no social filter. When I'm bored or annoyed, I either say something really offensive, or, in the event I'm able to restrain myself, it still totally shows on my face.

I like your 100 list. I'm too ADD to work on mine!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading these!

7:41 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Wow...we have even more in common than I realized. This must have taken you FOREVER to write!! Thanks for sharing! I don't think I'm patient enough to do that exercise. And if I was, I don't think I could think of anywhere near 100 even mildly interesting things to write!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Jez--aha! Another closet optimist ;) Yes, I am a certified Massage Slut and am soooo happy that Alex complies nightly. I can't believe he doesn't tire of it, but for some odd reason he seems to just like having his hands on me no matter what...hum. In contrast: the ex, when I asked him for the SECOND massage ever (and last time I ever asked) and we were engaged (my back was killing me), said, "I caught you! I don't have to anymore!" WOOF. Yay for me getting smarter as I aged...haha!

Alex--every time you post, I think folks understand more why I love you to pieces. You are NOT a poor writer! For heaven's sake, you have a better grasp of the English language than most Americans and you studied in French all your life! Did I say I love you yet? It seems I did, but let me try again...love you with all I've got, darling! *kiss*

Laura--yes, he IS so charming! hehe :) And such a change from what I've experienced thus far in life. I'm sure you understand what I mean. You know, every time I see the words "petit ami," I know they mean boyfriend but I always think, WHY is a boyfriend a small friend, esp when my bf is really my best friend? *ponders*

At least we can be blunt to each other and nobody will get offended...haha!

April--sadly, all French men are not like Alex. I once thought that French men were inherently superior to American men, but then Laura proved to me that's not necessarily the case. I am trying to remember, but I think Laura said it was her December 24th post I read that proved her point (that'd be Wifeandmom2's blog, link on my sidebar). I think Alex nearly wept when he read it because unfortunately the man Laura speaks of reminds him a little too much of his dad (that he beat up and tossed out of the house....but that's another story!).

I considered being a dentist, but I don't know how I'd fair. I mean, my strengths are writing, English, reading, and more humanities type skills than the natural sciences and maths. I consider myself sort of an idiot savant...I can do a very few things exceptionally well, and then I can't do so much else in the world. Well, at least that's what it feels like!

Angie, Amanda--love you guys too! :D

Mandy--it's not that bad, really. I did the list while chatting with Alex over the net for a couple hours, took my time, etc. You can always come up with ten at a time and save them on your word processing part of your computer, then post them whenever you're done! I just think it's a cool way to learn more about a person. It was fun for me to read Amanda and Angie's lists!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home