My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

My Big Fat Family Reunion Part II

So, how was it, you ask?

Well, other than Alex not being there, it was great! In particular, I was amused to see my daughter and several of the females around her age who were my cousins'/sister's children play together. It reminded me of the unholy unity of Melissa, Jennifer, me, and Mary Kaye when we were young. Ah, we had so much fun! It was wierd to run up with said cousins this time around. Jennifer and I ended up more similar as adults than as kids. Melissa, whom I thought had the most in common with me, ended up going off on a rant about the evils of video games and TV and how parents should only expose their kids to "educational" items (Note: I don't use the TV as a babysitter, but that damned PS2 comes in great to keep the kids happy while I fix food!). Mary Kaye shocked me. She was always the one who loved food and was happily plump. Now she looks like an anorexic. She's married to "Hot Handsome Almost Doctor Who Also Has His Law degree" and feels the need to starve herself to be worthy. ACK! I mean, her hubby is a nice guy, but...I could see her freakin' ribs. I wanted to punch him. "Don't you be makin' my cousin go run like an insane idiot just to be down to the weight you prefer!" She felt starvation was worth it. After all, her hubby is not only two years off from a law degree AND medical degree, his family is wealthy as shit. Damnit. No kids yet and I can tell you why: kids make women gain weight. God forbid she no longer look like an anorexic model. I am officially worried about her. Not that you care, but there we go!

My family took care of me, and I'm happy about that. I was not offered summer classes, and money is tight. So my parents took care of the hotel bill and my siblings took care of our food. Thank you, family! I love you too! My mom even shoved a $20 bill in my pocket, so that means it cost me about $50 total to drive from SC to KY (yes, gimpy, I think of lubricant too...) with gas and food and stay for four days. We were put up in the Mariott Courtyard. Nice place, that.

My friend Shelly (note: geek friend I made almost five years ago on a geek forum, proving to me that online friends CAN be as real as real life ones!) took me and the kids out to a water park for the day. She watched after them like they were her own, and she's only had nieces to watch over her whole life. God I appreciated that. Shelly was in Louisville for a contract job, so luck was with us. I love the woman. She's easy to talk to and we have a lot in common. It was a great day, and the kids were DELIGHTED!

My niece Allegra, 14 yrs of age, seemed to follow me around as I babbled at relatives. She said very little. Allegra and I have the most in common of any of my relatives bar none. However, I wondered why she followed me but seemed to listen and not speak. My sister told me later (Allegra is my sister Rose's daughter), "She told me she was amazed you could talk nonstop and never be boring!" HAHAHAHAHA! Ok, I'll chalk that up to a compliment. I am much like donkey on Shrek 2: "You have the right to remain silent, but what you lack is the capacity!"

My children had so much fun that I just about burst with joy. It always does a woman good to see her offspring living life to its fullest and having a blast. I'm glad we went! I just wish Alex were there...

...and of course I knew he wished he could have been there as well. Saturday, we returned to the room after some time at the pool only to find that the maids had been there. The room was made up and cleaned. And...Alex had sent 18 long stemmed roses. GOD I LOVE THAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humorously enough, the 24 roses he sent me the other week had died by the time I got back, but I managed (through ice and air conditioning) to preserve the 18 he sent me on Saturday through the drive back, so I still have roses! Woohoo! Damnit, Alex, I love you just the way you are. Don't change or I'll be forced to shoot you. I say that with complete love, darling! haha!

I can't believe I didn't touch a computer since I left the house on Friday until I got back Tuesday night. Addict that I am, that was amazing! I was so absorbed in the fun of the family reunion that I didn't even miss it. MORE amazing!

The only "out of joint" part of the weekend was realizing that my grandma (Maw Maw will be 90 in December) is FINALLY showing her age and occasionally has irrational, stubborn fits. Sigh. Maw Maw is still alert and aware enough to joke, tease, and drive her car. I kept thinking she'd make it to 100 before giving out. It's reality, though, so I'll survive. Maw Maw is my only surviving grandparent, so I am super reluctant to see her go. At least I have pictures of her with both my children! I never got to 'see' any of my great grandparents before they died, so my kids are one up on me.

Anyway, this is the best post I can do as I'm still tired and strung out from the weekend. Like it or fuck off. And I say that with LOVE! haha!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very nice trip all the way around! That is such a nice compliment from Allegra! Glad you're back - we missed you!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Awesome. Sounds like you had a great time...although I, too, am officially worried about your cousin and hate with a seething passion her doctor/lawyer model-loving husband. Why are some peopl like that? GRRRR!

I'm glad your kids had fun. When I was little, our family reunions were all about hanging out with a bunch of 80 year olds. It'll be nice for them to have a good initial gut reaction when they hear the term "family reunion".

2:10 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

April--WOW! That's mighty high compliments! Thank you very much. I have a warm fuzzy glow now :)

Amanda--Oh baby, I'll be your Ass any time you want! haha!

Angie--oh yes, and it really meant more to me because it is Allegra who said it! It's not that I love one niece or nephew over the others...it's that she reminds me EXACTLY of what I was like at 14. Only real difference was that I read more fantasy/sci fi and she reads more romance and animal books.

Laura--my family reunions have always been fun even though so many of us are so different. I can't figure it out, but I'm glad. I don't know why some men like anorexics for wives either. If you add about 20 lbs to the picture I posted a week or so ago, that's what I look like. I understand that I got hit on a hell of a lot more when people could see my cheekbones stick out and witness my ribs, but shit I was unhappy then. I like being plush. Alex likes me no matter what I weigh. And that's how it should be. Guys who grunt that their wives are fat or need to lose weight or make them feel bad about their appearance (ESP. after they bore your children, fuckwad!) should be evicerated. Or flayed. They can pick, 'cause I'm generous that way.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home