My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Pretty Good Mood!

You know what? Even though I'm still getting over a cold (do you know how much it sucks to teach with a sore throat?), I'm in a pretty good mood tonight!

First of all, I've had several students email me just to let me know how excited they are to have me as a teacher, and that they will see me in the Writing Center with their papers so I can help them after class become better writers. Yay! We only had one class for each class, and I guess the tweaking I did to my introductory lecture WORKED. I had five alert, attentive classes full of students. Well, ok, one person gasped as if I were a horrible blasphemer, destined for hell, after one quip I made, but hey! I live in the South! That's to be expected. But on the whole, I wanted to make sure my students understood how badly I desired to help them learn...and I think I managed. Hopefully, it'll make the semester a good one.

Second of all, I had a nice afternoon with the kids. I loaded myself up on cold meds and took them to a movie, since it just isn't fair to tell two kids who are well and energetic to stay inside the apartment all day and not move. We saw Valiant, which ended up being pretty cute.

Third of all, I needed a second pair of jeans. I have two pairs of size 2's and two pairs of size 4's, but they do not fit anymore. They gather dust in my dresser drawers. I have one pair of 8's that I have now worn so much that they are getting tattered looking. I'm too old for the grunge look, so I sighed and realized: as much as I hate buying any more 8's, I'd better do so. I went to Gap, and they had a pile of jeans on sale. I found one pair I liked because they are ankle length (which means they're regular length for midget me!)...but there were no 8's. I pondered for a while, staring at the 6. Ariana egged me to try them. I buckled...and my god...they FIT! How the hell did I lose a pant size? I don't own a scale, so I honestly just go by what fits. My metabolism is one fucked up muther. It's another reason why I don't diet. I can diet steadily and lose no weight. I can eat twice as much as usual and drop pounds like mad. The ONLY factor I have found is steady is that if I'm depressed, I lose weight. So, I haven't figured out how this happened...maybe it's the cold combined with the stress of starting up school again? Hell, I shouldn't overanalyze. 'Course, Alex will be here in two weeks which will instantly make me so happy I'll gain the weight back instantly...haha! Oh well. I like the jeans though! (Note: if you are thinking I'm skinny due to these small sizes, I'm not...I'm a midget. It's not like we're talking a tall model wearing an 8. It's more like one of the oompah loompahs wearing a size 8).

Third of all, I found this delicious looking sangria mix on clearance at Williams-Sonoma! AND! A really cool wine guide, cheap!

Fourth of all, I stopped into the Borders Express, newly opened, in the mall. There was a guy there--a store clerk--who was extra helpful. I managed to get all sorts of discounts and bargains thanks to his assistance and his willingness to bend the rules (for instance, it was student day and all students were to get 20% off of every book they purchased...I told him I was a teacher, not a student...he said, well, you look young enough to be a student, so you can have the discount! haha! Good salesman, eh?). I can't believe the steep discount I got on the books I purchased. Plus, he gave juice and cookies to the kids. Rock on!

Ahhh it's just been a good day, sore throat or not. Only thing that could make it better is in France right now, but hey, even that will change soon!

As Jezzy would say: YAYNESS!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Losing a whole size AND getting a great discount AND buying ice cream all in the same day... WOW!

6:52 AM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Ooh...I LOVE Sangria!! Absolute YAYNESS!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

lol! That's a great post, my dear. Losing a dress size, getting a discount, getting paid a great compliment, finding a yummy sangria mix - yayness, indeed. x

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home