My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Spices in the Cabinet

I was putting together a Chicken Curry this morning for later, and I realized I was just about out of turmeric. Turmeric was a spice I bought when my friend Gav was visiting, a Brit who can really cook Indian terrifically well. He left, and I missed Indian food, so I taught myself how to do a few dishes. It's not something I often cook, but it's just about the only 'style' of food that I cook that needs turmeric. Same with the garam masala. Or the cardamom pods.

Herbs and spices should be kept fresh. I know this. I know that you should rotate out any spices/herbs left to face the elements, opened, after six months because they tend to lose potency. But, what about those spices that I don't use so much? Seems like such a waste to buy a container of something only to throw the bulk of it out six months later! We just NOW got a place where I can buy some, not all, herbs/spices by bulk so I can buy what I need. Fresh Market has it in baggies, but big ones. Earth Fare has some bulk spices, but not a lot. I can freeze spices to add life, but my freezer is tiny and I live in an apartment. The ex got my spare freezer because he has room for it. He would gladly give it to me, but I don't have a place to stick it. You know, that doesn't sound right...

So, some of these spices I open up, use, and keep for longer than their prime. I can't help it. I just tend to add extra to make up for their lack of ooomph. Some spices, however, get rotated frequently because I just use them THAT much. It all depends on the style of cooking or what type you do. I can tell you right now what spices get used regularly besides salt and pepper: oregano, chili powder, thyme, cumin, bay leaves. I guess I also use a fair bit of rosemary. I never worry about any of those losing potency because I use them very regularly. Then there's things like the cream of tartar that I keep around for a grand total of two (2) things I make, and not often at that. Bah.

I use dried spices because they are easier to store, of course, but I have to say that I use way more fresh cilantro, basil, and parsley than I ever do dried. Hell, I won't even buy dried parsley. Nasty shit. Fresh basil, though, is soooo superior to the dried product that I really should throw out my dried basil jar. It must be three years old at this point. Brrr.


******

Today's MSN Quote of the Day, courtesy of the deviant freak herself!

Amanda says:
honey, food and dildos are staples at amanda's house

href="http://dailyslacker.blogspot.com/">Chief Slacker

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

i don't know whether to laugh or cry at my quote. heck, as long as i'm a happy girl, it doesn't really matter how i got happy, does it?

as for the spices, i feel the same way. i love fresh herbs, but since i'm only cooking for me, it's hard to use them all. it comes down to eating leftovers for weeks, freezing tiny portions (damn tiny freezers!), or feeding the neighbors. i'm pretty sure that dried parsley is really preserved tree leaves.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home