My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Busy!

Alex is arriving shortly. I have not seen the man since mid-May. I will have better things to do than blog. Ok, well, we have the kids right now and the Ex doesn't get them until tomorrow, so actually, I might end up checking in tomorrow morning after I make breakfast for the crew. Whenever the Ex picks them up, however, I expect that for a little bit we will find SOME WAY to entertain ourselves that does NOT involve the computer.

Kissing

Yeah. That's whut I'm talkin' bout!

Side note: that picture was taken by his family when I visited France last year. They told us they wanted a shot of us kissing. Welcome to France, where everybody who is a couple kisses everywhere, everytime, and no little old ladies give you evil glares! Well, unless they are visiting Americans who haven't picked up on French culture yet!

See how long my hair is in that picture? My hair seems to grow about five inches per year. I need ten inches for the Locks of Love program, so it's every two years that I chop off my hair. What is the Locks of Love program, you ask? So glad you wanted to know, I reply! Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that makes real hair wigs for free for little kids with chemo who are now bald. You have NO idea how much self-esteem it gives back to a child when he or she has a wig that is completely realistic to use. I used to work with kids at the H. Lee Moffit Children's Cancer Clinic when I was a high schooler, and believe me...you think it's rough for an ADULT to lose hair during cancer treatments? Gah! So, here's how it works: I love having very long hair. My favorite length is about what you see in the picture above. However, what I do is let it grow out about five more inches and THEN chop off the minimum ten inches they need for a decent wig. So, right after I chop it, I wince a lot when I try to twirl my hair (habit I've had forever) or look in a mirror because honestly, it's too short for me. Then I remember how bad it'd look if I were bald, and I smile and move on. It's a WONDERFUL program...who says a woman who is perpetually too broke has nothing to give? I can do three things VERY WELL. I can think. I can cook. And I can grow hair. haha! Please, if you know anybody who has really long hair and is considering cutting it, tell them about this program. They RELY on donations of real hair to make it work. I made sure in Sept 2003 and now here in 2005 I did it at that time so the students would ask why I chopped my hair, and then I could plug the program to them. It worked. I have had three or four students come up to me later on and TELL me that they heard of the program due to me and donated hair! Yay!

Wanna see how short the hair is now? It still feels wierd, guys...give me about two seconds of sniffing self-pity for feeling ug with the shorter hair *sniff sniff*...ok, I feel better now...actually, Ariana (god bless her genius level emotional IQ!) made me feel better instantly. She leaned over and whispered to me right after I had it done, "Mommy! It makes you look EVEN YOUNGER!" Haha! I told her, don't whisper that! SHOUT IT!!!!

Ok, here you go! (side note: sorry, all I have is a webcam to take pictures, and therefore it is rather grainy)

Shorthair

It'll grow back pretty fast, though. By Christmas, I'll have enough 'extra' to be completely content. I tried as short as shoulder length long, long ago and it doesn't look right. I need 'longer' hair to frame my face properly.

Ok, going to tidy up the house now and GO GET ALEX AT THE AIRPORT!!!!! YAY!!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Kira,

I'm ew to blogger and was surfing around. I didn't want to be just another anonymous reader, so I thought I'd say "hi." I'm an editor/writer for a magazine that reports on philantropic and charitable events. Just last month I wrote an article about a fundraiser for Wigs For Kids. It's a fantastic organization that does such good work. My dad has lymphoma and recently lost all of his gorgeous, thick white hair. He's the type that says it doesn't bother him, but I look into his eyes and know, on some level, it does. I can't imagine children, who have to deal with peer pressure, having to deal with this on top of it all. I think I will look into donating my hair. It's fairly long now and I'm about ready for a major change anyway. Thanks for the great idea.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Ash--oh, thank you SO MUCH for deciding to post what you just posted! I'd be thrilled if my goal of encouraging others to do the same here worked. Apparently, they need a minimum of 10 inches of hair. Many hairdressers will cut your hair for free and style it if they know you are doing this for the Locks for Love program...mine not only does that, but she sends the hair off for you and everything. Hope your dad recovers and one day soon can regrow his hair!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

I couldn't do Locks of Love this time: they said my hair wasn't long enough. No one believes me -- Kira, you know how huge my head of hair gets -- but they said it was only 6 1/2 inches. Some things that length people say are 2 feet long. Maybe they should get a different ruler next time. ;)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

YEAH!!!! For the next couple of days you'll be living on "l'amour et l'eau fraiche".

I love the color of your hair. That is some lucky kid who will be getting your auburn locks.

Re-bienvenue Alex!

8:35 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

id like to know what that is over your left shoulder, it looks like a giant statue of buddha!

and what a great programme that is you are involved in kira, i see your 'goodness' qoutient rising!

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Brian loves my hair as long as the first photo... And now that you told me they can take hair that's been dyed, I may just grow mine out and do that same thing. You have inspired me!

Btw, your hair isn't that short in the second pic. It looks great! =o)

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yea - BIENVENUE, ALEX!!!!

9:43 AM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

yes. bonjour alex!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I wish my hair grew so fast. One day, I'll have long hair again :(

Btw, how do you make a grown man squeal like a 12 year old girl? LMAO!!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Jezzy said...

Kira and Alex - I'm so glad you're back together. I hope you enjoy your reunion. xxx

11:27 PM  
Blogger SS said...

i was SO terribly disappointed to learn about this program after i had my hair chopped off. my hair was down to my ass practically, and i cut it off to shoulder length (breakup depression will make you do crazy things). someone told me about it in the midst of yelling at me about getting my hair cut all off.

you know, that is such a great idea. i'm going to look into it. (my hair is almost to my ass again and i'm due for a haircut)

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home