My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Friday, September 02, 2005

Memories Continued: Compassion

In light of what is going on currently in New Orleans, I have decided that this next memory MUST be presented NOW.

I think I have mentioned repeatedly that my parents and family are just very good people who believe in the concept of noblesse oblige, or the duty of those who are rich/better off to take care of those who are poor/worse off. I suppose it extends further than that. My mom has a firm belief that compassion and reaching out to others is the key to why we are here. I've heard her say it often enough. And she lives this message just about every day with the extensive volunteer work she's done and the way she helps others.

I was ten years old and we went to the mall to buy a few things. This incident happened before it was common to have cell phones at all, so my mom decided to use a pay phone to call home to my dad and let him know we'd be late. Right next to the phone was an elderly woman with very white hair who seemed vaguely distressed. She started talking to my mom because everybody starts talking to my mom. Honestly. I've seen folks make a bee line for her to converse with her and they don't even know her. She just has an aura that screams, "I'm friendly! Let's chat!"

I remember listening with great skepticism as the older woman told her tale. She had been stuck at the mall for three days, she said (where did she sleep? Didn't the mall folks kick her out?). She was waiting for somebody to pick her up and the person never came. She was certain that the person would come that day, but BOY was she starving...

...my mom immediately marched her to a food place in the mall and bought her the biggest platter of whatever they served. I scowled. I figure my mom had been taken in for an idiot there. Didn't she SEE there was no way this woman could have slept at the mall for three days? Once we were out of earshot, I complained to my mother, "Mom! What if she was taking you for a ride? I mean, come on, that story..."

I will NEVER EVER forget my mom's response:

With a very calm expression, she smiled at me, totally at peace as if it hardly mattered if somebody 'took her for a ride.' "Honey, if that's true, then the worst thing that just happened is that I fed another human being."

I was stunned into silence, and mulled that one over for days. If you can tell from some of my posts here and there, this memory is of an incident that molded directly how I act even today. I still remember everything...the lighting in the mall...the old lady's face...the pay phones...the fake marble floor of the mall as I stared at it and we walked, pondering what just happened...

(Oh, and PS, Alex got his visa!!!! So tomorrow night, he's here!!!! YAY!)

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your mum rocks just as much as you do dearest :)

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I've been taken for a ride so many times that it's getting pretty sad. Anna was actually scared this man was going to kidnap me once, so she jerked me back away from the truck where he was begging for money. (I managed to give him some anyway, but I got the lecture of a lifetime once we got in our car.) I agree with your mom. Helping other people is pretty much the reason for our existence...

I am so happy the visa made it! I guess you've got quite a busy weekend ahead - and poor Alex better be ready to pay for those birth control pills. ("Poor"... riiiiiiight....)

2:38 PM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

dammit, everyone is having sex apart from me! seriouslyt though im glad your seeing alex, he makes you happy (and wet!) and thats fair enough! say hello to the french git for me kira!


i know what your saying about the compassion thing. the way i see it, its treating others as you wish to be treated. if you have something and someone else is in need then its not only a good thing to help them, its the morally right thing.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

I have that same "talk to me" aura. Or I did when I was younger. My friends used to tell me to wipe that approachable look off of my face!

Your mom sounds great. I'm glad she has that attitude.

Personally, I won't give money to people. I will and have given time and other services (ooooh...sounds dirty).

YEAH FOR ALEX COMING IN! He's probably on a plane right now!!!

5:27 AM  
Blogger A* said...

YAY!! Alex is coming. Girl I was hoping and praying for ya! Your mom sounds like good people. And I would have said the same thing you did...
Have a fantastic weekend. Heart ya!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

YAY! ALEX IS COMING! WE CAN GO TO DANTE'S NOW...well, once Alex can stand again.

I agree totally with April. Kira, you are one of the most selfless people I've ever met. You rock, chick.

8:51 AM  
Blogger cookie monster said...

alex is coming? literally?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kira said...

Alex--well, my mom is a very generous person. I'm grateful to have her as a role model.

Angie--well, yes, he'd better damn well give me my Buffet after three months of paying for those pills! haha!

April--*flush* yes, you did another fantastic job of ego feeding! Well, I DO have people just come up and talk to me, but not as often as my mom does! And I'm pretty sure that Alex is, indeed, looking forward to playing with my perky tits (I can tell that we'll be in our 50's, April, and still making perky tit jokes to each other when it so obviously will then no longer apply LOL!)

Tony--yes, I'll say hi to Alex for ya! Indeed, that is often the easiest way to approach life: treat others as you would want to be treated. It seems so obvious, but so many miss the mark anyway. (and as far as your other quip goes...not yet, let me get him from the airport first!)

Laura--services, eh? YES that does sound dirty...haha! I tend to give stuff or time rather than money because...I don't have money! I remember for two years, the Ex had a decent salary so I started giving a bit to charities I supported those years, but that's it.

A*--thanks! I bet my weekend is going to be as good as yours already has been!

Amanda--ok, now I'm flushing again, and I am not prone to embarrassment...

but yes, DANTE'S!!!! HERE WE COME!

4:43 PM  
Blogger SS said...

i was dating this guy once, and we were walking around the plaza (a hoity-toity part of town that has a bunch of expensive shops and restaurants), and there was this homeless guy begging for change. when the guy asked for change, my boyfriend asked him what he needed it for (at the moment i was horrified, i thought my guy was just being mean to a homeless person), the guy said he wanted to buy some food. so guess what he did, he invited the guy to have lunch with us. he told him that he wouldn't give him any money, but if he was truly hungry, he would buy him lunch. it was an experience that i will never forget. and such a kind gesture.

your mom sounds incredible. the world would be a much better place if there were more people like here in it.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home