My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Monday, May 01, 2006

1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila, floor!

Alex and I just got back from Vegas. Wow, we had a great time! It was wonderful meeting a bunch of bloggers, eating good food, drinking too much, seeing a show, etc.

We arrived Friday night after some weather issues at Dallas/Ft Worth (our connecting flight airport). Tired, we managed to eat and then head to bed. The time difference of three hours kicked our asses. Saturday at lunch, we got to meet WordWhiz and Paul...Old Horsetailsnake and Vicki...and Bornfool. The food at Emeril's was wonderful, and it was an enjoyable meal. My favorite line came from WW when Hoss and Vicki were talking about their room at the Bellagio. See, WW stayed at the Flamingo and so we ended up there too. The place is HUGE, and it has a lot of nice amenities. However, after WW heard about the Bellagio, she said, "Well, at first I was so happy with the Flamingo! I thought it was the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. But now! Now after hearing all that, all I can think is...I'm staying in a SLUM!" haha! That really cracked me up.

Later on, we met up with the same folks plus more. I met Paige, McG, Mrs. McG, Andy, more importantly than Andy...DANE!, Andy's wife Renee, Jarett (gees did I even spell it right?) and his girlfriend. First of all, Dane is cuter than the pictures will ever show. Secondly, Renee is the most beautiful pregnant woman I've ever seen. I always looked bloated and miserable, plus I bitched like a harpy both times I was pregnant. She, however, was in a great mood and happy. I was impressed! McG and Jarett cracked me up continuously. They had great stories to tell.

But, see, then somebody suggested tequila shots.... Yes, I am stupid. After two other drinks, I was just happy enough to think tequila sounded great. The bartender kept giving us what would be double or triple shots, however. Quickly I became incoherent and happy. Mrs. McG became my new best friend, as is the way of the drunk. I vaguely remember a conga line back from the bathroom with Jarett and Mrs. McG...hmmmm...I also remember always throwing my arms on her. I hope I didn't ever grab something I shouldn't have...haha! Damn. Sometimes I think I'm too old for this shit, but then again, since I always have the kids, I just don't GET to cut loose like this very often. I consider it several times' worth of cutting loose that I have to make up for in one night. The kids were not there; therefore, I went nuts. Believe me, I don't want anybody to show me alcohol for a while. I couldn't even look at the bars afterwards without feeling my tummy gurgle unhappily on Sunday.

I think I bit Alex too. Well, in the good way. He wasn't complaining. Still, I don't usually do that in public. It was LV, so it's ok, right?

Apparently, I also gave Alex my shoes and then ran down the hallway at the Flamingo. He was quite good to me. Once back in the hotel room, he took good care of me...giving me excedrin, a nice warm bath, and all sorts of perks to get through my after-drunk effect.

On Sunday, we got to see the Bellagio water show, more of the Paris hotel (and we ate there), the pool at the Flamingo, and the Blue Man show. We LOVED the Blue Man show. I was concerned that Alex might find the program really odd, but then I remembered I'm engaged to a Frenchman: he gets the concept of conceptual art or abstract wierdness. This is the man who played the duck in a theatre production in France that had an all-bird cast for the main characters. Blue Man was nothin'!

I'm easily entertained, and I have to say that LV entertained me royally. I was content just to wander around and see the sights. We only saw two Elvis impersonators, but the rest of the neon displays made up for it. Star Wars slot machines! Who would have ever thought it? I'd love to go back one day. Hoss and Vicki sure made the Cirque show "O" sound facinating, so I think that's what we'll need to hit up next time.

Remember guys: next year, Bloggercon is in FRANCE and y'all have to go to our wedding, you hear? Haha!

Here's to new friends and great times! Wow, that was a BLAST!

16 Comments:

Blogger mcgibfried said...

i had a great time.. and the conga line was spectacular.

you two were a blast!

as for the rest of that night:
i made it back to the hotel room at 5 am..
that's about 4 hours after everyone else i was with went to bed..

nothing like wandering the strip with strangers on a saturday night.. but i did get to make some new stories.. i love the stories.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol - love the title! I'm glad you had such a good time. A fun trip is the best way to end a semester, IMHO. I must admit, I'm a bit disappointed that you only saw 2 Elvises. If I ever go to Vegas, I sincerely hope they have flying Elvises jumping out of a plane like in that movie with Nicolas Cage; I will be pretty sad if I never get to see that...

5:02 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

"Star Wars slot machines!"

With little Star Wars character voices:

YODA: "Loser, you are. Sevens, you did not get. Pull the lever again, you must."

LUKE: (whining): "But I'm out of quarters!"

YODA: "That is why you fail."

LUKE: "I can't get involved. I've got work to do."

OBI-WAN KENOBI: "That's your uncle talking"

LUKE: "I have a very bad feeling about this"

DARTH VADER: "I find your lack of faith disturbing..."

6:25 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Glad you had fun. I've been watching Japanese television at Umezono lately, so Blue Man seems pretty tame to me. I usually don't understand what's going on since the sound is off and I can only read two of the four character sets the Japanese use, but just watching the people is interesting enough. On Saturday I saw a show which could have passed for American news, with a Japanese woman wearing office dress (skirt and a blouse) sitting behind a desk calmly talking. The camera pulled back to reveal another Japanese woman similarly dressed. Between them was a guy in bizarre makeup and an outfit I can only describe as Spaceman Samurai of the Future.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Glad you both had a great time and are back safely!

6:52 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I guess you'll have to emend the previous post, huh.

6:52 AM  
Blogger A* said...

OMG! I am so so SO SORRY that we missed it.

Can we do all the same stuff only in Raleigh later on this year? Please? I am sure we can rent a bunch on neon lights somewhere and light the place up like Vegas!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

How fun. I would love to meet some of the people in my little blogosphere in person.

Come chake your body baby do that conga!

;)

9:35 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Ahh, Tekillya is good stuff isn't it. I really enjoyed meeting you and Alex. I wish I'd had a Prof. like you back at Purdue.
Saving my money for BloggerCon Paris! lol.

11:41 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I am so glad you enjoyed. Now, what's that address in France?

3:29 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Oh man, France? That's going to be hard! You were so funny though, saying how you have this amazing tolerance for alchol and then 6 shots later....BAM! I loved it! I want to see your pictures!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Oh man, France? That's going to be hard! You were so funny though, saying how you have this amazing tolerance for alchol and then 6 shots later....BAM! I loved it! I want to see your pictures!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Sounds like fun! I've been bopping between you and Vicki and Hoss' blogs looking for details. You give the most entertaining and explicit ones!

When's the date for France?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I had a wonderful time and you are an awesome person!! I don't remember to much that happened after leaving Max's but I sure did have an AWESOME time!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

I posted a few shots on my site, but nothing incriminating. I don't take the camera with me when I go out drinking!!

It was great!! What a blast! And I'm SO GLAD you liked he Blue Man Group. Paul and I just LOVED that show!!

Vegas, baby...it's even better the SECOND TIME!! (Hint, hint!)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

McG--yes, new stories to tell! but I'm afraid that nothing can top the I'm from conneticut story. Man! That's in the all-time hall of fame for drunk stories.

Angie--yes, but we saw two elvises without TRYING! Plus three or four showgirls. I think you'd have to hire out the divebombing elvises to see them :)

NWJR--hahaha! Yes, good rendition of their content.

Grant--that's the sort of shit I'd love to watch after a couple of tequilas. Honestly. I love wierd stuff.

Val--thanks! the plane ride back was MUCH easier than the one out there.

X.dell--what part of the previous post? I drank the equivalent of 9 tequila shots (three triple shots) and two strawberry margaritas. If I had drank that same amount ten years ago, you'd be visiting me in the hospital for alcohol poisoning ;) My drinking ability has improved from nothing to something! Woohoo!

A*--I'm certain we can light up your road with neon since there's only one streetlight! Can Hof get some of his friends to dress up like Elvis for us? Maybe I'll get some of my friends to paint their faces blue...oh shit. I forgot. Hof, UNC...Kira, Duke. We're gonna fight over which color blue. Um. Ok, so we go halves on the faces! Half carolina blue, half blue devil blue.

Amanda--I was too screwed up in the head to take any. Ask my companions. Haha!

Laura--see, you could have been in that conga line with us! I knew it :)

Tom--woohoo! Well, we can start out in Paris, but the wedding itself will likely be in Clermont-Ferrand. I'm amazed you want to have a teacher like me after the stories I told at lunch...haha! Well, one of my students told me, I like having you for a teacher because I never know what'll come out of your mouth. True enough.

Paige--I SO do not remember half the night, so it doesn't surprise me that I don't remember saying I have an amazing alcohol tolerance level. I asked Alex if I said that, and he looked perplexed...and said he thought I mentioned I have an amazing tolerance for alcohol compared to what it once was. Now, THAT I can see myself saying. I used to get drunk off of one glass. ONE. GLASS. of just about anything. I couldn't drive even after drinking one glass on a full stomach. But now? Now, it takes a lot more for me to feel it. I'm still a lightweight compared to all my friends, but I'm better than I was in college. And you know what, Paige? If I see a shot glass of tequila right now, I'm gonna hurl :)

Hoss--Clermont-Ferrand, France! Woohoo! And as soon as we have the date, I'll let you know. Vicki needs to come too.

EM--June of 2007 is as far as we've gotten. It will likely be the latter half of the month, too.

Mrs. BcG--I loved meeting you! I have very fond memories of slurring my words, leaning on you, and babbling all sorts of stuff on the way to and from the bathroom. We'll always have the conga line. Haha!

Mandy--what, you say we need another bloggercon there too? How about france next, then vegas again! And thanks for not posting the worst pictures of me. Andy already posted one that made me wince! I know now that "drunk" doesn't look good on me. Woohoo!

Doc-t--You know, the folks passing out the hooker cards tried to give them to me too. I guess they wanted some girl on girl action. And I didn't take you because I didn't have enough money to do so. Sorry ;)

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home