My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ahhhhhh

What my mom has done so far:

Washed my baseboards
Finished my entire stack of sewing (two blankets, Ariana's tent, and two of Ari's dress up outfits)
Managed to clean up the underneath of the cat box with a scraper (litter had gotten tossed out and became damp due to it being located in my bathroom)
Made a batch of her world-famous meatballs and froze the leftovers for us
Got the stains out of my carpet (kid-induced)
Mopped and vacuumed
Dyed Easter eggs with the kids


What my dad has done so far:

Paid for every damn thing that has needed payment in the house
Taken out the garbage
Researched car stuff for me

(my dad had a stroke a long time ago which paralyzed his left hand side, so he's a bit limited in other things he can do)

Oh yeah, I'm spoiled and happy!

*****

So, Ariana, Alex, and myself did a turn at a soup kitchen this Sunday. I think it was an excellent idea. Ariana was SO into the whole concept of feeding people. I don't think anybody wanted to do more work than her. The other folks in the volunteer group seemed really impressed by how my eight year old threw herself into it.

Ariana didn't understand why some of the folks went through the line twice. I explained to her that they were hungry, and as long as we had the food, why shouldn't they get extras? That answered that question satisfactorily for her. We had a discussion that it was always fantastic to feed people. Giving money means you have to wonder what the money was used for, but feeding people directly--even if they already have food--is still a great service.

My mom always did volunteer work as I grew up, and I often accompanied her. She used to teach deaf children how to read lips with a felt board and felt pieces at a special school, and during breaks I'd play monopoly or life with the kids. Silently. Curiously silent. She also took me to the children's cancer clinic she volunteered at for years, and now her and my dad do Meals On Wheels. I believe truly it gave me a better appreciation for the small things in life and for my own great luck. I would like to pass that on to my daughter, so I will try do do events like this again from time to time. Maybe we can even pick out a specific organization and do volunteer work regularly. It's good to be aware that no matter how much mom grumbles that she's broke, that in all honesty, we still live better than most of the world.

10 Comments:

Blogger Juanita said...

Girl, you are so good! You deserve every good thing that happens to you. I'm happy for you.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - do you think they are interested in adopting a 34 year old doctoral student with a nose ring? Lol - j/k, but wow - what wonderful parents you have!

One of my favorite things that I've ever done with Anna is volunteering at community centers and nursing homes. Next time we do it, I'm definitely going to get Matthew in on it. So far, he's always had some other committment. But I think giving your kids the gift of learning how it feels to give to other people is a wondeful one that they will appreciate throughout their entire lives.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I think it's great that you're teaching her to be charitable, and you're right - it will probably instill an appreciation for things in her.

Send your parent over to me when you're through with them. In fact, I'll trade you. :p

6:58 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

"My mom always did volunteer work as I grew up, and I often accompanied her. She used to teach deaf children how to read lips with a felt board and felt pieces at a special school..."

Yeah, my Mom used to teach kids with hearing imparements, too. She would have been great with my son who has Autism. Shit, your post made me miss her all that much more.

It's good to be aware that no matter how much mom grumbles that she's broke, that in all honesty, we still live better than most of the world.

That's very true. Compared to most humans on this earth, the poorest among us is incredibly wealthy.

Sounds like you have incredible parents. Great post.

8:01 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Looks like the Cavalry charged in and took care of business.

From the volunteer work, I would gather that your parents are generous of spirit.

I predict that someday you'll mount your horse and command the troops.

(Can he be more cryptic on a Wednesday?)

8:13 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hoo boy:

Mom 1
Dad 1
Kira 1
Alex 1
Ariana = Priceless

9:07 AM  
Blogger Canoes under my shoes said...

Are you telling me that I need to wash that year-old applesauce off of the baseboards???

I'm glad that the calvary has come and conquered. You deserve a bit of help.

Volunteering is wonderful. I agree 100%...if you're feeling down, a bit of volunteering can reset your focus.

12:00 PM  
Blogger WordWhiz said...

Have I told you lately what a great mom you are? Sounds like you had a good example!

8:39 PM  
Blogger M said...

Wow. Your mom sounds really inspirational.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Juanita--thanks! I want to believe I deserve parents as great as them, too :)

Angie--I think part of it is just figuring out what the kids would most be able to connect to. Food is such a big deal in this house that a soup kitchen REALLY works...feeding people seems very important to Ariana. And you can stand in line as far as the adoption goes! haha! My parents have had my friends asking to be adopted by them since I was a teen :)

Grant--TRADE??? Are you kidding me? "I think I'll trade you this three carat diamond ring for that piece of old ratty shoelace!" I'm sorry. I've heard too much about your mom to be so dumb as to trade!

NWJR--yes, it's my wonderful parents who made the goddess that I am today...(no, my ego is not really that big. I laughed while typing that one! haha!). When one has good parents, I think it's always sad to not have them around when you are navigating the various stages of parenting yourself. I am sorry your mum is not there to be around your son, too (and you!).

X.Dell--it is my fondest desire to be the calvary one day for my daughter and son too. It's easier to go through life knowing that your parents have your back. I'd like to be able to give them that reassurance, too.

Hoss--yes, Ariana's the bomb, isn't she? Her heart is almost as big as her brain :)

Laura--no. I'm telling you that your MOM needs to wash it off!

Mandy--thanks! I try. I can't just talk the talk. I need to walk the walk so she can SEE I really believe in making the world a better place. I think she's getting the message, too, so we'll definitely do this again.

Michelle--yes. She's spent all her adult life doing volunteer work. Except for the year after my dad had his stroke (she spent that year helping him learn to walk again), she's always done volunteer work. I totally respect that.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home