My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate, South Carolina, United States

I think that the Meredith Brooks' song, "Bitch," summarizes me rather nicely. Or, if you prefer, X. dell says I'm a life-smart literary scholar with a low BS tolerance...that also works!

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Waiting For the Chili

Alex had to leave for a meeting, and so I told him I'd lock up by the knob lock and then depart after finishing up his chili. I usually make something on Sunday for him that he can munch on while I'm gone. I guess we just like to take care of each other, and this is my way of taking care of him. His is usually to do things like...well, like on Friday night when I arrived, there was a trail of rosepetals when I walked in that led to the bedroom. They led up and over the bed, to a vase of flowers (roses, carnations, baby's breath, etc). He's just too sweet.

I hate Sunday nights. I know one day the wait will be over and we'll get to spend the rest of our lives together, but it's a rough wait. I'm sure that A* and WordWhiz at a minimum understand what I mean. I am looking forward to the summer because I'll get to see him so much more. Being broke sucks; having the summer free, however, rocks. There's some good to teaching.

Speaking of money, I sure as heck wish I had some health insurance. My sore throat came back in force, almost swelling closed. Fearing strep throat, I went to the doctor's on Saturday. $215 later, I now have an antibiotic. Sigh. I still have to do my mammogram, too, which will be expensive. My doc wanted me to have one no matter what, insurance or not, since my aunt has breast cancer. She says it's important to have my first mammogram NOW as a result. She said that last year, but last year I didn't have the money. I still don't, really, but she insisted I do it anyway. Bleh. I need health insurance. Sometimes I remind myself that I do this to myself on purpose. After all, I COULD have a job outside of my field that pays better and has health insurance right now if I wanted to. However, this job allows me to not have to worry about so many daycare or after school care expenses. I don't have to dish out any money for them over summertime, too. Plus, I love it. I am waiting for a full-time position to open up. It did. I'm applying. I just found out the number of people from the department who will apply, and I'm crushed. There's no way I'm getting the job. For the record, the only way I won't be bitter about not getting the job is if a) it's Chuck who gets it or b) if somebody like Chinua Achebe decides to apply for it. I've put in my time. I've gone above and beyond the call of duty. And now, please, I would like some health insurance for my efforts, thank you. We'll see, but I'd say that my chances of getting the job are fairly minimal at this point. I try not to think about it too much because it depresses me. Chuck and I made a deal that if either of us got the job, we'd share the office with the other. You know what's cool? What's cool is having such a good friend at the job. That's what's cool. I can't imagine how boring that place would be without Chuck. When Amanda left, I really panicked. Chuck was the most amazingly fun surprise ever. I can bitch at him, talk dirty to him, joke with him, and discuss religion/politics/life with him. He's smart, funny, caring, and an all around wonderful guy. How did two amazing people end up being stuck being so stupidly paid and all at such a job? Good question. I have no idea.

So, the last musing of the day deals with what I consider "essentials" in the kitchen. See, I cook at Alex's on the weekends, so I had decided I needed to stock the place up with a few essentials in order to make food. I am betting that my spice list essentials are not the same as other people's lists. At my house, I have more spices than a professional cook. If you do not believe me, ask Joe. He was pretty damn impressed with my collection...haha! It's just that I like to cook all sorts of ethnic foods, and each country has its own range of spices that are preferred for its dishes. Anyway, I found my "bare basics" list of spices is this: oregano, rosemary, cumin, corriander, chili powder, thyme, hungarian paprika (sweet), bay leaves, herbs de province, salt, and black ground peppper. I also always make sure to have flour, sugar, eggs, heavy cream, butter, onions, garlic, at least 6 different types of cheeses, pasta, rice, olive oil, seasoned rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, tomato sauce/paste, diced tomatoes, and homemade chicken broth in the freezer. I don't have my fun knives, my all-clad, my cuisinart, my kitchen aid stand mixer, nor any of my other little kitchen gadgets here, so I just make do with the old fashioned way. So far, it's worked out fine and made me wonder if I really need the 5,485,282 items extra I have at home. I need a bigger kitchen....

Ok, chili is now done. I suppose I'll put it up in the freezer now and head out. I don't want to go. I really don't. Oh well. Suck it up, kid...

12 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Don't say you won't get the job. Crazy shit happens on a daily basis in premier land; you can never predict what will happen. Besides, your students can always riot around MA and R's offices...just call me, and I'll bring the camcorder ;)

Kitchen essentials...*sigh*...yet another reason you're one of my favorite people. It amazes people that I can be totally broke, yet I'll spend money to buy ingredients for a fabulous meal. Food and cooking are my addiction/security blanket. My next house will have a gigantic, fully-stocked kitchen.

Joe, my All-Clad?? ;)

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't think strep would let you go so easily. It's a mean germ. It is ridiculous for people to have to pay so much to get medical attention. One nice thing about France is cutting out the middle man (i.e. prescription writer/doctor) for a lot of drugs. Happy pills require no doctor at all, I found. I am not sure about the antibiotics. Alex?

You deserve that job. If you don't get it, I'll do anything I can to get you on here at CU. Syliva is fabulous about working with me on my schedule, so I know she would for you too. The only problem is that you can only do it for five years unless you get a phD. Of course, I believe you'd absolutely love Victor Vitanza's program here. =o)

4:00 PM  
Blogger NWJR said...

I miss my kitchen gadgets. I didn't take them with me out of courtesy, but I'm now wondering why I left them in the hands of someone who doesn't like to cook...

You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many kitchen gadgets. Or too much cheese.

That's my philosophy, anyway.

4:09 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

SIX cheeses? Great coup!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I will cross my fingers and hope you get the job with health insurance (I assume it's a full-time college teaching job, which you deserve and would be good at, particularly as you are already good at, but just not getting benefits). Fingers crossed. Fingers crossed. Fingers crossed.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Being sick costs too much. That's why I recommend a cheaper hobby. More exercise might help ward off the germs - it did wonders for me. Also, you need to add some tofu and soy and fish to your kitchen.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

You know, I've heard of gold-diggers, but you and Amanda are All-Clad-diggers. ;)

Before I close this comment, I'm going to go count cheeses.... OK, it's six, believe it or not. I'm a little surprised. I've got Jarlsberg, Craft American [hides face in shame], Stilton (just bought some because I've never had it, and I've heard it's the perfect thing with port), some mild cheddar, some queso blanco, and almost a pound of real Parm-Reg.

Being sick does suck: I've been sick since Friday. Like almost everything, it sucks worse if you're poor. :( And being sick also stints the appetite -- waaah! :)

2:45 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

... and now I have 7 kinds of cheese. I returned a movie, and I was out of bread, and Wellspring/Whole Foods is only a few steps away from the movie place. I go in and get a loaf of bread. On the way to the register, I walk by the end of the wine section, where they usually have a huge wheel of some kind of cheese out, with samples and pre-cut pieces. I've never heard of this particular cheese before -- it's called "Parrano" -- but they say it tastes like Parm-Reg while acting like Gouda (it's Dutch like Gouda). So I taste it. They're right. It's $8.99/lb. Bastards. I pick up a 3/4 lb. chunk, pay, and leave. Argh. ;)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Amanda--yes! Being broke does NOT include stinting on food and/or kitchen gadgets :) As for the rest, well, we'll see. I just am not holding my breath. It's painful to hope and then be crushed, so I'm trying NOT to hope. That way if something good happens, I can be happy and surprised.

Angie--in all actuality, the rapid strep test came back negative. However, since I have no health insurance and Alex was diagnosed by the same office as having strep, they just decided to give me the antibiotic as a precaution (something I'm glad they did after all that money...). Alex will have to answer about the antibiotics, but I DO know that you are right: for many prescription drugs, all you have to do is see a pharmacist there in France and they can prescribe for you. And after reading your trials in stats, do you actually think I want an Education PhD???? hahaha!

NWJR--I agree with the not being too rich or having too much cheese, but there IS such a thing as too thin. Brrrr. Women were meant to have meat on their bones! Tits! Ass! I've seen anorexics, and it is not pretty.

Hoss--six cheeses is a BARE MINIMUM. You must understand...cheese is life. There is cheese, there is chocolate, there is bread, and there is wine. The end.

FW--thank you. It's just rare to find a job one loves and adores, and to top it all off I'm pretty darn good at it. If I can just get that health insurance and the pay raise, life'd be good. The pay scale says it starts at $35k a year, but I think that's with full time summer hours too (which they can't guarantee). Still, MAN would that be a relief financially.

Tara--thank you ever so much for the suggestions. I'll try and look into it. I don't think we have nearly as many options in my (rural) neck of the woods as in Dallas, but it's worth a shot to ask around and see!

Grant--why? do the Japanese never get sick?

Joe--I ain't sayin' she's an All-Clad digger! But she ain't messin' with no lack of cheese! Uh! Well, you should be able to testify for the crowd here that six cheeses WOULD be my minimum number. I always like to have feta, chevre in some form, parm-reg, mozzarrella, cheddar, monterey jack, baby bell (for Ari), gruyere, emmental, and maybe something like brie/camembert too. Oh, and bleu. And I like muenster and swiss. What about manchego? Oh, and...ok, never mind. I just need cheese around, and lots of it, to be happy.

Parrano sounds good....

5:23 PM  
Blogger Joseph H. Vilas said...

Kira, I don't know about any minimum number of cheeses, but I don't know about any maximum either. Hell, I've brought you six kinds of cheese just for a weekend! Dinner at your place always seemed to involve cheese.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm as far as I know, you need a prescription. On the other hand here is a typical example of being sick in France:
- me sick, open yellow pages, call my usual doctor
- he answers and I ask for an immediate appointment
- I walk down the street and go to his office
- I let myself in, walk in to the waiting room, read a book
- I usually wait between 5 and 20 mns if there are a lot of people (not often).
- He shakes my hand, he bitches about stuff (women, America, France, life...)
- He examines me, chats more, writes a prescription for antibiotics
- I pay him 20 euros (18$ or so) and give him my Social security card which he scans
- Gov transfers 18 or so back to my bank account.
- I go to the pharmacy and pay for about 20% of the price of the prescription. Rest is paid by the Gov.
- I now have my meds and it probably cost me at most 10 euros.

About the Stats and PHD issue. I love stats. I remember when we first started doing stats in math classes when I was 15. I loved it. I got straight As on that. It got harder in business school but that is also because my teacher was incompetent. I taught myself and got a good grade second time around. So what I am saying is, Kira, can I do the stats homework please? I’ll massage you in exchange.

Hoss: Pain, Vin et Fromage are the French holy trinity. We are very fervent about it so I don’t understand how people can say we aren’t religious…*is puzzled*.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you don't get the job, I will be seriously convinced that the world is completely unfair. You have such passion and concern for your students and such a strong desire to teach. I cringe at the multitude of teachers I work with who are only there because they can't do anything else and they can't really teach either. It's a paycheck to them while all of us younguns still give a *&%$. I will be crossing my fingers...

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home